2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 107 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1061 of 1159 Old 10-01-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Done the trip from Annapolis to Solomon’s many times. Never really considered stopping after Herrington . 32 mile shot to Solomons.
I have once thought about Flag Harbor, but looks pretty shallow there. Their website has sailboats at dock, but they are smallLL ones.

Make the run to Solomons. You could get trapped their.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1062 of 1159 Old 10-02-2018

"We had at least 60 boats in the Turkey Shoot Regatta on the Rappahanock off Carter Creek today. "

Closecall, do you enter?

Looking at results, I read that in Sunday's pursuit race, 54 finished and 34 did not (exceeded time, break down, or just didn't show up?). It was brutal trying to make it to the last mark and like several others we got a TLE. Upwind in faint breezes is def not our strong suit :-}

But hey, we had a great time and got to meet some new folks, so it was def worth it. Of course it's also a good cause, so win-win!

s/v Miracle
post #1063 of 1159 Old 10-02-2018

We crewed on Shorebird, a Bombay Clipper. On Sunday we came up to the third mark just as the race timed out.

We had a great time. Except for the lack of wind the weather was great. And like you said, it's for a good cause.

post #1064 of 1159 Old 10-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
We crewed on Shorebird, a Bombay Clipper. On Sunday we came up to the third mark just as the race timed out.

We had a great time. Except for the lack of wind the weather was great. And like you said, it's for a good cause.
Pretty sure we saw you around. We were the green Flicka...

s/v Miracle
post #1065 of 1159 Old 10-02-2018

You probably passed us. Most everybody did.
Totuma likes this.
post #1066 of 1159 Old 10-02-2018

Thursday's weather looks pretty good, at least until about 7 p.m. when there is a 30 percent chance of thundershowers.

Gary
post #1067 of 1159 Old 10-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
The channel leading to the Rod and Reel Dock have always been pretty shallow, about 5 feet at low tide. I dragged bottom when going in there when I had a 27 Catalina, which drew about 5.5 feet.

You may want to talk with Fred Donivan, one of the owners about the channel before trying to get in. Fred is an old friend of mine and keeps tabs on the channel depths throughout the year. He managed to get it dredged a couple times, but not recently that I know of.

The facility there is fantastic and you will really enjoy the food it the restaurant.

Good luck,

Gary
Thanks.
Just to follow up I called the resort/marina. Not sure who I spoke to, but he said they "tell people 5 ft, to be on the safe side". Considering I'll hopefully be coming and going near high tide when it's an extra foot or so I should be ok with a 4 ft draft. I'll report back again if get stuck..
post #1068 of 1159 Old 10-04-2018 Thread Starter

That place is only and 8-10 mile trip from Herrington. Not very far away.

I don’t like to ground my boat. It can stress the keel as we’ll as the keel bolts, course not a concern to you as you are chartering.

What size, type boat are you charting

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1069 of 1159 Old 10-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That place is only and 8-10 mile trip from Herrington. Not very far away.

I don’t like to ground my boat. It can stress the keel as we’ll as the keel bolts, course not a concern to you as you are chartering.

What size, type boat are you charting
It's a 30 ft O'day, I believe a 302.

I know it's close, but my 4 year old son is coming so I don't want to be too ambitious. We'll go out sail around a bit. If he does well maybe we'll go somewhere further, if he (or anyone else for that matter..) are having issues this is the "emergency lunch location".
post #1070 of 1159 Old 10-04-2018 Thread Starter

Understand 4 year old keep it simple .

West River is close by also and has anchorage places and Marinas . About same distance away of 12 miles. From there South River and Annapolis around the corner.

Go where the wind is best .

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in