2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 108 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1071 of 1159 Old 10-05-2018
Seasoned Salt

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have once thought about Flag Harbor, but looks pretty shallow there. Their website has sailboats at dock, but they are smallLL ones.
Flag Harbor has depth. I was there for a few years. I need almost six feet and there was plenty at the docks. Never touched bottom.

There is a minor shoal on the entrance but they usually dredge that every spring. When I would come in or out at low tide sometimes I would touch a couple times passing over that. But never enough to impede progress.

Flag Harbor is a great place. Gem hidden in the hills of shore. Very protected. If you arent looking for it you'll never notice it is there.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trekka CSY33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1072 of 1159 Old 10-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Flag Harbor has depth. I was there for a few years. I need almost six feet and there was plenty at the docks. Never touched bottom.

There is a minor shoal on the entrance but they usually dredge that every spring. When I would come in or out at low tide sometimes I would touch a couple times passing over that. But never enough to impede progress.

Flag Harbor is a great place. Gem hidden in the hills of shore. Very protected. If you arent looking for it you'll never notice it is there.
I've heard it reported they do not have transient slips. They are condo slips and are individually owned.

I heard this from a friend that was forced to duck in there due to bad weather and boat issues. They were not warmly welcomed, in fact it seemed quite the opposite even under circumstances where most boaters would be as accommodating as possible.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #1073 of 1159 Old 10-05-2018
Seasoned Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I've heard it reported they do not have transient slips. They are condo slips and are individually owned.

I heard this from a friend that was forced to duck in there due to bad weather and boat issues. They were not warmly welcomed, in fact it seemed quite the opposite even under circumstances where most boaters would be as accommodating as possible.
It has been several years since I was there, but this is surprising to me. The years I was there it was not unusual to have transients come in. Yes, it is a condo marina, but the management has slips for use. I wonder if they came in after hours and met a random owner with an attitude? I cannot imagine management acting that way. I remember one night a boat came in. We put him along a dock for the night. In the morning the manager said I should have directed them to one of the empty slips. But maybe things have changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trekka CSY33

post #1074 of 1159 Old 10-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
It has been several years since I was there, but this is surprising to me. The years I was there it was not unusual to have transients come in. Yes, it is a condo marina, but the management has slips for use. I wonder if they came in after hours and met a random owner with an attitude? I cannot imagine management acting that way. I remember one night a boat came in. We put him along a dock for the night. In the morning the manager said I should have directed them to one of the empty slips. But maybe things have changed.
It seems welcoming attitudes from many places including boating, is inversely proportional to the economy. Many empty slips tends to create more interest in short term transactions.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #1075 of 1159 Old 10-11-2018

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men adage just came true. I had been planning a day sail for tomorrow for more than a week, a trip that would include an old friend that I have known since 1962, and a new friend that I met a few months ago. While NOAA and Wundermap had predicted 15 to 20 kt winds for tomorrow throughout much of the week, the forecast changed this evening to 15 to 25 with gusts to 40 kts - no need in beating up myself, my guests and the boat for a day sail. Gotta wait till the weather gets a bit better.

Be careful out there my friends,

Gary
oysterman23 likes this.
post #1076 of 1159 Old 10-11-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Tomorrow afternoon starts our fall vacation. There are no overall plans but to sail the Chesapeake following wind. There appears to be no shortage of that, at least starting off. We plan to stay north of the Potomac mostly.

Forecast for tomorrow starts off with 15-20 gusts to 35 slowly diminishing over the course of the day. Probably will hand tight at the marina a dinghy around some. Saturday still shows good strong NW wind 10-15 gusts to 20, perfect for a sleigh ride down the Bay to Solomons.

Haleakala is stocked up with fresh swordfish, filet mignon so, NY strips ' chicken breasts, homemade chili, fresh pears and peaches, golden pineapple, quinoa, and purple Peruvian potatoes. Also lots of grapes...and pressed grapes ( Pinot noir) .

Looking forward to a relaxing cool sailing vacation with lots of fall colors
oysterman23 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1077 of 1159 Old 10-11-2018

There are some downright wacky temperature forecasts on the upper bay this weekend. Chesapeake City shows a low temperature of 38 degrees on Saturday night! brrrr! I'm not heading up there this weekend, but I will be in a couple of weeks.

[EDIT: Low temperatures about 20 miles further south are forecast to be ~10 degrees higher. That means there's a huge temperature gradient in that region, so lots of potential for low temperature to be significantly different than forecast. If you're anchoring out, be prepared for whatever temperatures might come your way.]
Attached Thumbnails
EA793C34-9B33-44DA-82B2-972F78C92062.jpeg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-11-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #1078 of 1159 Old 10-12-2018 Thread Starter

Might as well pull the boat now, as it’s not going to get warmer at night.

Maybe you should also take into consideration the fact that Chesapeake City is not really influenced by the water temps where cities such as Annapolis, Rock Hall and others are. I am not seeing any nighttime temps less than 49 degreees anywhere with water influenced cities. The water temp is still in the 60s. Not worried about teeth chattering cold on this trip. Besides we are not headed north to Chesapeake City.

Not worried about freezing at night anyway. We have a portable propane heater which we can vent which works to take the chill out of the cabin if we need it too when we wake up or if we spend time below after dark. It keeps it toasty. Course at the dock with have a ceramic electric heater.

All these little amenities we have accumulated over the years to enhance and make like comfortable on Haleakula. Spending as much time out sailing and in nature is our goal . If we thought we’d keep her we’d install a permanent diesel heater. The little amenities we have extend our sailing season. A nice down comforter, a fleece , and long pants are a small price to pay to enjoy 50s and sixty degrees sailing days in October and November.
oysterman23 and DirtyDingus like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1079 of 1159 Old 10-12-2018

Hi Dave, I'm glad you're well equipped. My post was not directed at you.

Susquehanna Flats, Elk Neck, Town Point, and Grove Point Range Light all have the same low temperature forecast. My main point is that the steep temperature gradient means a little bit of error in the predicted upper atmosphere steering currents could mean a big difference in temperature at any given location. That's all.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1080 of 1159 Old 10-12-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Hi Dave, I'm glad you're well equipped. My post was not directed at you.

Susquehanna Flats, Elk Neck, Town Point, and Grove Point Range Light all have the same low temperature forecast. My main point is that the steep temperature gradient means a little bit of error in the predicted upper atmosphere steering currents could mean a big difference in temperature at any given location. That's all.
Rick,

Nor was mine directed at you. Otherwise I would have quoted you.

My accumulation of equipment was just that an accumulation over the years. We learn each year and buy equipment which allows us comfort ( remember my age is not far behind Garys) , and allows us to lengthen our season. I post it as it might give someone else a similar idea weather a newbie or experienced sailor.

My pet peeves is other people complaining about the weather shortening their sailing time when they can fix that. In your case with all the commitments , the puppy, and all the travel with the new job, I'm sure you get as much time as possible.

We try and maximize our time. It makes the expense more dealable , but we truly love the outdoors and sailing. I've tried to mimic some of the cruisers like Clay and others in making being aboard comfortable for Donna and I facing all situations.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in