2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 109 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1159 Old 10-12-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

It was blowing 28 steady at Thomas Point gusting to 35 so we stayed tied to the dock. We'll leave in the Solomons direction in the AM. Very nice evening for sleeping. No fans water temp 63 so not frightfully cold or need .for heat.

Took the opportunity to change the alternator belt as it showed a little wear. While at it changed the date pump belt and impellerr ( I change every spring but since I had the pump loose I took the opportunity. Changed the oil too.

Took an hour dinghy ride d ok enjoy Whitehall Creek and up Mill Creek to Jeff H house. Gorgeous sunset tonight.

Hoping Clay/ Leslie ok in North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1159 Old 10-13-2018 Thread Starter

Decided to head for San Domingo Creek instead of Solomons. Best wind of season 22 steady gusts to 35. Reefed the main and job and still managed 7s and 8 Knott's . Was a rough downwind ride though with waves 3-4 ft of Chessievslop t 4 second intervals. Following seas lifting the stern the whole way down made for 5+ hours of attentive hand steering.

Temps were fine and sitting in the cove Donald Rumsfelds house in shorts and a tee shirt

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #1083 of 1159 Old 10-14-2018 Thread Starter

Little did we know the cove we picked was home to the Emperor King of the Geese. We wTched in amusement for hours as squadron after squadron of geese landed in front of our anchored Haleakula and padded to a house nearby. The waddled on shore and paraded in front of the Emporer and his court already established roasted on the huge lawn. After paying homage the waddled to and exit point and paddled off.

We moved over to Tilghman Island where we took a tie up on the floating dock of Knapp’s Narrows Marina. Price was right and recommended by my friend 4Arch. Quiet due to the time of year. Excellant restaurant Marker 5 on site. The have a home built smoker on th3 premises They feature Patricia’s Cakes, a local baker who supply’s the upscale restaurants here and St Michael’s with cakes. Her 4 layer carrot cake was one of the best ones I have ever eaten.
4arch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1084 of 1159 Old 10-15-2018

We didn't end up sailing this weekend due to other commitments but I did make it to the boat yesterday to work on a couple of projects. Last time we went out we returned to the marina to find 2 gallons of water in the engine bilge. An occasional drip or two from the engine raw water pump had turned into a big leak. Luckily the previous owners left us a complete new raw water pump that I was able to swap in fairly easily. I'll service the leaky one over the winter and put it back in with my spares. Others at the marina were already putting boats to bed for the season but we're hoping to go another few weeks.

Dave - glad you're enjoying Knapps. I'm sure the marina is very sleepy this time of year. Back in July it was bustling and kept the girls entertained. I don't think many people think of it as a place to stop over, but it really is a nice little place.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #1085 of 1159 Old 10-15-2018 Thread Starter

Today was our last day on Tilghman Island. People are very friendly here . We will check this place off our lists except to stop in the future at Marker 5 restaurant or to buy on of Patricia’s CArrot cakes. On Donna’s walk she passed the bakery and got a surprise.

Dinner tonight was onboard Haleakula. Grilled filet mignon with balsamic grilled portobellos, potato salad, and grilled pears stuffed with Gorgonzola cheese. I had a Patricia’s coconut almond cake and she had a banana chocolate swirl cake.

Onward tomorrow to Dividing Creek on the Wye River. Winds to start at 20 gusts 35 knots decreasing through the morning to 12. There has been no lack of wind on this vacation.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1086 of 1159 Old 10-16-2018
Sailing Small Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
grilled pears stuffed with Gorgonzola cheese
Chef, I'm salivating! Many moons ago, I was in 'the biz' myself, and still love cooking. Learning to create delicious meals aboard is a huge part of the sailing fun for me. BTW I am enjoying your travel blog very much. It provides inspiration for my future Chesapeake excursions.

This past weekend was some of the most exhilarating sailing of the season! I didn't 'go' anywhere, just bounced around Pooles Island and Tolchester channel, then back to my home slip.

I agree that fall sailing is delightful if one is equipped for comfort. Thanks!

Home Port: Worton Creek, Maryland, Chesapeake Bay, U.S.A
S/V Spectackular, Endeavour 32
post #1087 of 1159 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

We went out the western channel from Knapp Narrows at high tide seeing 8.5- 9 the whole way out. Course NW wind overnight in the 30s meant lower than normal water. We took the shortcut behind Poplar Island to Eastern Bay and found lots of 6 ft water there. Saved an hour. Wind has died for now so motoring up Eastern Bay and we are at the Miles River. Headed for Dividing Creek on the Wye River.

We have not lacked for wind. Great sailing. Last night we say some gusts over 50 for 3-4 hours. Being tied up was fine but the Narrows are exposed somewhat and we were stern to the wind. Our friend was at anchor near Oxford. We never worry with our Rocna couple with good anchoring techniques. The foliage has been spectacular. The wind good, we aren’t sweating, but are not cold.

Great stay for two days in Knapp Narrows. Cool museum and speaking with the watermen there ( oysters and crabbers). Marker 5 a very good restaurant.

Great time of year for a vacation and sailing.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1088 of 1159 Old 10-16-2018
Sailor

Hey Chef if you are in the area on Saturday tilghmans island day will be going on starting around 11am
post #1089 of 1159 Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
Hey Chef if you are in the area on Saturday tilghmans island day will be going on starting around 11am

Saw the ads for it and donated to the firehouse by buying an ornament . Unfortunately h a very moved up to St Micgeals.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1090 of 1159 Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter

We sailed to the Wye last night and enjoyed a quiet evening by ourselves in Dividing Creek. We saw the frog farts. ( Caused by decomposing leaves under the water , bubble popping up beside Hakeakula. Saw bald eagles, huge Ibis, deer, a few foxes, and we're serenaded through dinner by the bull frogs. Dinner was a simple one. Black Angus burgers, Grilled red potatoes, and the last of our grilled pears with gorgonzola.
Funny my wife never ate pears till I started making them this way a few years back. Come to think of it she really never ate many peaches and pineapple till I started telling them. Course golden pineapples are like candy.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in