2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 1159 Old 01-29-2018
美國佬

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
LMAO! What are you installing it in? Did you build your own dessicating toilet or is this being installed in a C-head?
It goes in a kitty litter desiccating toilet. It has been a bucket in a box with a funnel attached to the lid/seat, but I have to reconfigure it, now that I've got an honest to goodness diverter/separator. I'm doing my part to make America great again.
Ajax_MD and AJC506 like this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 1159 Old 01-29-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
It goes in a kitty litter desiccating toilet. It has been a bucket in a box with a funnel attached to the lid/seat, but I have to reconfigure it, now that I've got an honest to goodness diverter/separator. I'm doing my part to make America great again.
Take a photo of the completed assembly when you get it together. I'm curious.
I keep vacillating between a composting toilet and a Lavac vacu-flush toilet.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #103 of 1159 Old 01-29-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Take a photo of the completed assembly when you get it together. I'm curious. I keep vacillating between a composting toilet and a Lavac vacu-flush toilet.
OK, will do. My boat originally had a head that flushed overboard, but when I bought it, there was only a seacock (new, curiously) forward of the head, but no plumbing or holding tank. I don't really like the idea of a water-based system so I didn't try to install one. The kitty litter thing works fine with one or two people, but I don't think it would work well for more than that for multi-day trips.
Ajax_MD likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

post #104 of 1159 Old 02-01-2018
Chastened

God help me, I am *still* varnishing.

Normally, visiting the boat during the winter helps me cope. The boat is in the water, I climb inside, fire up the heater and maybe have a drink, putter about or look at opportunities for future projects. Sometimes I read, or take a nap. Sometimes, I'll have dinner if the cabin can be made comfortable.

Visiting the boat with the cabin sole torn out and the bilge floors exposed, does NOT make for a soothing experience. I sat on the port settee, among the dust and piles of tools, staring into the bilge. Unsettling. Disappointing.

If I can lay 2 coats today, and 2 coats on Friday, I believe I can put it back together this weekend. I still need to make up the quarter round trim, but at least the boat would be functional.

post #105 of 1159 Old 02-01-2018

Dock

Ajax, I hear you. I do the same thing in the winter. I live in Albany, NY, so visiting the vote means flying to BWI, driving to Baltimore (Anchorage Marina), and checking on things. This winter it's been so cold and both my family and I have been sick off and on all month that I haven't been down there. A friend has been kind enough to check on the boat. Looking forward to a nice spring!

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #106 of 1159 Old 02-05-2018
Chastened

Cabin sole is finally installed.

The boat can be sailed now, but I still need to install trim around the exposed edges and I need to replace the small, trapezoidal section under the companionway ladder.
JSL3, chef2sail, TakeFive and 1 others like this.

post #107 of 1159 Old 02-05-2018

Its the time of year where ideas for sailing adventures starts turning over in my head, and this year the idea that has taken root is doing a 100NM "century" sail.

Just toying with the idea, but thinking something like an overnight from Herring Bay to York River, Hampton or maybe Cape Charles (some of those are bit over 100NM), then taking several days, stopping at some of my old favorite anchorages, to work my way back home.

No particular reason, other than do do an overnight sail without the pressure of being in a race with a bunch of crew.

I expect this would be a single boat deal, as I don't know how appealing such a trip would be to our yacht club friends.

Anyway its an idea to help while away these frigid days.
Ajax_MD and RickGUSVI like this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #108 of 1159 Old 02-05-2018
Master Mariner

Anybody out there who needs a bit of wind for the next few weeks, please let me know and I'll gladly send you some of ours!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #109 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Anybody out there who needs a bit of wind for the next few weeks, please let me know and I'll gladly send you some of ours!
It's warmth that we need. Send any excess heat this way.

post #110 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
It's warmth that we need. Send any excess heat this way.
Done! Pass on your email and be prepared for a really big zip file. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in