2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 110 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1091 of 1159 Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

This morning we sailed over to St Micheals broad reaching with 25 steady gusts to 35/40. We changed plans again and decided to stay a few days. We are members of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum/ same org as the Mystic one. Docking for our second night is free.

During the season we always anchor an dinghy in to St Micheals. We prefer the San Domingo way off the Choptank as it's less crowded, but we usually do o in the height of the tourist season. Today we tied up on the bulkhead next to the old operatibg oyster dredgers. Picture perfect fall afternoon. Donna's in town reconnoitering . Tomorrow one of the dolcents will walk the museum groundsvwith us. Itvfwatures the old Hooper Straights Lighthouse and boat building as well as many educational workshops for kids. It truly is a wonderfully non-stop profit org to belong to. We are staying for a few days . Winds are building from the West to possible Gale gusts tomorrow, o rather than beat into it to leave, we just hang out another day. No crowds and very quiet here. We usually eat at Avas when here but will try Lemoncellos tonight or tomorrow night.

Looks like due to wind direction on Sat/ Sunday we will probably catch a mooring Friday night in Annapolis, and stay in one of the creek a on the Severn Saturday night when the wind cranks. We were going to go to Rock Hall, but Donna reminded me we avoid Annapolus in tourist season, and it's not tourist season. We really do like Annapolis when it's not crowded.

Most vacation have done wind, but we also seem to do a fair amount of motoring to make destinations. This vacation we have barely turned the engine on. We have had great winds, really to much at times. It has tested our on the fly reefing abilities, which we rarely do all summer.

I find many people don't reef and suffer from weather helm as well as tiring themselves early bought as they think it's a pain or bother. It's really a great tool to have and use in your sailing bag to making passages comfortable .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1092 of 1159 Old 10-18-2018
bell ringer

My wife and I are always noting to ourselves how we are the only boat reefed. I don’t understand people stressing their boat and bodies for the fairly minor extra speed.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #1093 of 1159 Old 10-18-2018 Thread Starter

Different boats have different characteristics. Just looking from afar at a boat and not seeing it reefed when you are doesn’t mean

For instantance, you can not tell what kind of headsail. 155/135/110?
for instance. We have a centerboard. Conventional wisdom a C&C 35 usually you’d reef at 17-18 knots, dropping the board gives us to
For instance some sailplans its better to reef the jib before the main, other start at the main.....cant tell this from afar.

I have found most cruisers like you have a very conservative nature and look at the long term view of their sails and passages . They are on the opposite side of the sailing spectrum from died in the wool racers. Most sailors are in the middle of the spectrum.

More speed equates to a small distance initially. In a 10 hour day it can mean as much as 10-20 miles easily. Your conservative nature makes sense as after-all you are on your only home with all your worldly processions. Most sailors are not however, which is maybe what you are seeing.

I actually agree with you about stressing equipment unnecessarily. As I get older I agree with you about stressing myself also.

However I still have my racing heritage that occasionally I fall back on. My C&C 35 is a racer cruiser and was built as such. It has robust equipment, is designed to Point very high and is raced in one design racing cTergories on the Great Lakes. So pardon me if sometimes I choose not to reef as I leave you in the dust, because I choose not to reef 👍👍👍😄😄😄😄🌪🌪🌪🌪🙀🙀🙀🙀🦀🦀🦀🦀

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1094 of 1159 Old 10-18-2018 Thread Starter

Second day in St Micheals. Spent hours in the museum looking at duck decoys and history of Chesapeake boating. Very mellow day. Very few tourists. Quite a nice couple of days here. Ate a Limoncellos. Food was great. Donna had homemade lobster ravioli with a champagne rosa sauce. I had veal sautambucca. Both meals hot and on point.

Tomorrow headed closer to home as Friday/ Sat/ Sun show increasing winds. Planning on taking a mooring tomorrow evening in Annapolis.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1095 of 1159 Old 10-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Different boats have different characteristics. Just looking from afar at a boat and not seeing it reefed when you are doesn’t mean

For instantance, you can not tell what kind of headsail. 155/135/110?
for instance. We have a centerboard. Conventional wisdom a C&C 35 usually you’d reef at 17-18 knots, dropping the board gives us to
For instance some sailplans its better to reef the jib before the main, other start at the main.....cant tell this from afar.

I have found most cruisers like you have a very conservative nature and look at the long term view of their sails and passages . They are on the opposite side of the sailing spectrum from died in the wool racers. Most sailors are in the middle of the spectrum.

More speed equates to a small distance initially. In a 10 hour day it can mean as much as 10-20 miles easily. Your conservative nature makes sense as after-all you are on your only home with all your worldly processions. Most sailors are not however, which is maybe what you are seeing.

I actually agree with you about stressing equipment unnecessarily. As I get older I agree with you about stressing myself also.

However I still have my racing heritage that occasionally I fall back on. My C&C 35 is a racer cruiser and was built as such. It has robust equipment, is designed to Point very high and is raced in one design racing cTergories on the Great Lakes. So pardon me if sometimes I choose not to reef as I leave you in the dust, because I choose not to reef 👍👍👍😄😄😄😄🌪🌪🌪🌪🙀🙀🙀🙀🦀🦀🦀🦀

As you mentioned though, the issue is that many boats appear to be over-canvassed and unbalanced, producing excessive weather helm. I saw lots of this last weekend when I was out, characterized by a boat heeling over, dunking its rail in the water, and then rounding up to the point of almost being in irons. Dunking a rail is fine if you like it, but as a racer you already know that she's got to be balanced if you want to maintain that speed.
oldlaxer1 likes this.
post #1096 of 1159 Old 10-19-2018

Sunday is my last chance to sail this season. (Saturday looks nice, but we have commitments near home.) Sunday forecast of high temp of 50 with 19 kt sustained and gusts to 35 are not something my wife will like. (Our cockpit is not fully enclosed.) All I wanted this fall was one weekend with 10-15 kt and temps between 60-80. There may have been a couple of days like that (boat show weekend), but we were out of town for a wedding.

The weather has been disappointing this year, to say the least. Nevertheless, we did have a lot of fun enjoying the boat as a "dock queen". It's very comfortable for us whether at anchor or in the slip. We got a lot of use out of the reverse cycle HVAC last weekend, and probably will again this Sunday if we stay in the slip and work on packing up the dinghy. I doubt we'll venture out in the gusty conditions.

The plan is to make the two day trip to winter storage Thur-Fri next week. Maybe I'll get the sails up if it's not right on the nose, but I'll be singlehanding, so it won't be as much fun. But I'm ready to throw in the towel, get her winterized, and count the days to next season.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1097 of 1159 Old 10-19-2018

This is supposed to be my annual guys sailing weekend when I take 3-4 guy friends out for a weekend overnight. The tentative plan was to head for Annapolis or Rock Hall. Getting to either place on Saturday looks like it would be fun but coming home Sunday looks like it would be a real butt kicking. Worton might not be bad with a beam reach up and back, but my crew are inexperienced and I don’t want to give them too much of a scare Sunday. Might just tool around the Patapsco and head back Saturday evening before the wind pipes up too much. Taking guests all the way to the top of the inner harbor never fails to impress.
chef2sail likes this.
post #1098 of 1159 Old 10-19-2018

Sunday looks like ass whipping weather on the Bay.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1099 of 1159 Old 10-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sunday looks like ass whipping weather on the Bay.
In any direction. Sailing you can reef down but somewhere you have to dock again. That would be interesting bumper cars.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1100 of 1159 Old 10-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sunday is my last chance to sail this season. (Saturday looks nice, but we have commitments near home.) Sunday forecast of high temp of 50 with 19 kt sustained and gusts to 35 are not something my wife will like. (Our cockpit is not fully enclosed.) All I wanted this fall was one weekend with 10-15 kt and temps between 60-80. There may have been a couple of days like that (boat show weekend), but we were out of town for a wedding.

The weather has been disappointing this year, to say the least. Nevertheless, we did have a lot of fun enjoying the boat as a "dock queen". It's very comfortable for us whether at anchor or in the slip. We got a lot of use out of the reverse cycle HVAC last weekend, and probably will again this Sunday if we stay in the slip and work on packing up the dinghy. I doubt we'll venture out in the gusty conditions.

The plan is to make the two day trip to winter storage Thur-Fri next week. Maybe I'll get the sails up if it's not right on the nose, but I'll be singlehanding, so it won't be as much fun. But I'm ready to throw in the towel, get her winterized, and count the days to next season.
Yes you certainly had bad luck on the limited days you had to sail with the weather.

For many though it rained a bit it certainly wasn’t a washout summer. We still managed to get over 2000 nautical miles. There were certainly more less than perfect days than most summers, I had a 5 week restriction from my back operation, and 1 weekend washed out by debris.

Good you enjoyed your boat anyway on the less than great sailing weekends.

There will be other times and other years for you
TakeFive likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in