2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 112 - SailNet Community
 467Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1111 of 1159 Old 10-22-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 178
Thanks: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Second solo trip out on saturday 10/20. Great sailing. Much better than last time when there was no wind and the charter boat stunk. Hoping to find a way to get many more trips next year (Main problem being 2 year olds and boats don't mix!)


(if you have a comment about the jib: not my boat)



Also was overtaken by whatever this thing is.

Last edited by Scandium; 10-22-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Scandium is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1112 of 1159 Old 10-22-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

That is the Sultana, Tall Ship of Chestertown MD
Jeff356 is online now  
post #1113 of 1159 Old 10-22-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,428
Thanks: 94
Thanked 198 Times in 190 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Well that was fun...Had a great friend and very seasoned sailor race in the Baltimore Harbor Cup in his Melges 24. Ran into him on the docks after the race and maybe I had one too many beers because he talked me into sailing it back to Gibson Island yesterday. We had 4 on board and I can tell you that is the fastest I've ever dreamed of going on a sailboat. Wind was mostly directly out of the Patapsco so we made probably 6 gybes to get out of the river. Large rolling waves, steady 22-25 kts with some gusts we were figuring close to 38-40. At one point we hoisted the asymmetrical chute and had the boat going 25 kts planing. Brought the chute in and kept on booking it. Got knocked down twice as we sort of spun out on a couple of big waves just as a gust hit, but we were in control the whole time and the boat and crew were fine as it just sort of layed there for a bit and then popped back up and off we went again. Once we got around the corner and headed south the ride settled down and we were making 12-15 kts steady under jib and main alone. Dock to dock was just over two hours and 15 minutes. I honestly can't even imagine what the round the world sailors experience, especially at night. We were a little too busy coming out the Patapsco for videos, but here we are heading down the bay about halfway between the Bodkin Creek entrance and the mouth of the Magothy. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0wxvqjq8t...%20PM.mp4?dl=0
Glad you had fun. . A knockdown in an 8 ton plus Sailboat is another fish compared to a 24 Melges. I try not to put that kind of stress on Haleakula.

Saturday night and Sunday the ducks in our marina were quickly very loudly every time a huge gust came through. They sounded really close with their racket . I popped my head around the canvas and saw that 12 of them had taken protective residence in the water on the lee side of the boat. Smart quakers��������������������������


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
 
post #1114 of 1159 Old 10-22-2018
Senior Member
 
oldlaxer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hunt Valley, MD
Posts: 393
Thanks: 8
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Glad you had fun. . A knockdown in an 8 ton plus Sailboat is another fish compared to a 24 Melges.
Exactly. It sort of reminded me of my laser/sunfish days only with an open transom cockpit and footholds! At 61 years old I am definitely feeling it today though.
chef2sail and ThereYouAre like this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
oldlaxer1 is offline  
post #1115 of 1159 Old 10-22-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,428
Thanks: 94
Thanked 198 Times in 190 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Exactly. It sort of reminded me of my laser/sunfish days only with an open transom cockpit and footholds! At 61 years old I am definitely feeling it today though.

I hear you. I raced Hobies nationally with my daughter when in my 30s . Getting a quiet Sailboat at 15-20 knots is quiete exhilarating. Been out on my friends 62 Sundeer when it was doing 18 knots on a passage to Tortolla. Itís bizzare seeing a Sailboat with a rooster tail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #1116 of 1159 Old 10-23-2018
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 5,002
Thanks: 24
Thanked 144 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Iím anchored in Engineers Cove for the night, singlehanding back to winter storage on the hard. Weather was gorgeous today on the way from Rock Hall. I was on a schedule and winds were light, so I mostly motorsailed, but got a nice speed boost against the current in the Elk River (when the wind was building up a bit). Things were a little lumpy there since the wind opposed the current.

The Chesapeake City town dock and anchorage is crowded with snowbirds. I did not want to take a slip because it could be a pain getting out of it singlehanded before dawn tomorrow, especially if gusty. So far, the predicted 27 kt gusts have not materialized. In fact, Iím totally becalmed right now.

When I first came in I dropped anchor at what I thought was a safe distance from another boat. But the drift that occurred while dropping the anchor put me only about 50í away from him. No dirtly looks from him - heís probably down below sleeping. But I was uncomfortable, so I pulled my anchor up and moved another 50í away (100í total). Still close, but itís tight in here. But just as I was backing down on my newly set anchor, another guy comes along and anchors between the two of us, right where I had anchored before. Iím not going to complain, because these snowbirds are more experienced than I am. But I will keep an eye on them.

While underway today I inspected my ground tackle and found pretty bad rusting on my ancor rode thimble. Itís starting to deform a bit due to weakness, and the rode around it is a little chafed (probably from rubbing against the chain in the locker). I was nervous with the gusts forecast for tonight, so I pulled another line out and did a running hitch around the chain next to the shackle, and let out both rodes with the anchor. If my primary rode chafes through in the heavy gusts, the second one will take over.

Weíll see if the gust front comes through tonight as predicted. So far nothing.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
TakeFive is offline  
post #1117 of 1159 Old 10-23-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,428
Thanks: 94
Thanked 198 Times in 190 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Iím anchored in Engineers Cove for the night, singlehanding back to winter storage on the hard. Weather was gorgeous today on the way from Rock Hall. I was on a schedule and winds were light, so I mostly motorsailed, but got a nice speed boost against the current in the Elk River (when the wind was building up a bit). Things were a little lumpy there since the wind opposed the current.

The Chesapeake City town dock and anchorage is crowded with snowbirds. I did not want to take a slip because it could be a pain getting out of it singlehanded before dawn tomorrow, especially if gusty. So far, the predicted 27 kt gusts have not materialized. In fact, Iím totally becalmed right now.

When I first came in I dropped anchor at what I thought was a safe distance from another boat. But the drift that occurred while dropping the anchor put me only about 50í away from him. No dirtly looks from him - heís probably down below sleeping. But I was uncomfortable, so I pulled my anchor up and moved another 50í away (100í total). Still close, but itís tight in here. But just as I was backing down on my newly set anchor, another guy comes along and anchors between the two of us, right where I had anchored before. Iím not going to complain, because these snowbirds are more experienced than I am. But I will keep an eye on them.

While underway today I inspected my ground tackle and found pretty bad rusting on my ancor rode thimble. Itís starting to deform a bit due to weakness, and the rode around it is a little chafed (probably from rubbing against the chain in the locker). I was nervous with the gusts forecast for tonight, so I pulled another line out and did a running hitch around the chain next to the shackle, and let out both rodes with the anchor. If my primary rode chafes through in the heavy gusts, the second one will take over.

Weíll see if the gust front comes through tonight as predicted. So far nothing.
I sense a winter project😄😄😄😄
Safe rest of the trip


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #1118 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 5,002
Thanks: 24
Thanked 144 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...When I first came in I dropped anchor at what I thought was a safe distance from another boat. But the drift that occurred while dropping the anchor put me only about 50í away from him. No dirtly looks from him - heís probably down below sleeping. But I was uncomfortable, so I pulled my anchor up and moved another 50í away (100í total). Still close, but itís tight in here. But just as I was backing down on my newly set anchor, another guy comes along and anchors between the two of us, right where I had anchored before. Iím not going to complain, because these snowbirds are more experienced than I am. But I will keep an eye on them...
I went to bed at 8:30 pm last night and woke at 4:30 for a 5 am departure. Everything went great. However I couldnít help but notice that another boat came in last night after I was asleep, and anchored between me and the guy who had already anchored 50í away from me. He was about half a boat length away from me (about 20í):

Attached Thumbnails
796EF9AE-696C-45F5-9E4B-2A598F9DFEBB.jpeg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
TakeFive is offline  
post #1119 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,742
Thanks: 131
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I went to bed at 8:30 pm last night and woke at 4:30 for a 5 am departure. Everything went great. However I couldnít help but notice that another boat came in last night after I was asleep, and anchored between me and the guy who had already anchored 50í away from me. He was about half a boat length away from me (about 20í):

Good thing he did that after you went to sleep. I imagine you would not be as rested if you had known about him
MastUndSchotbruch is online now  
post #1120 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018
Senior Member
 
oldlaxer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hunt Valley, MD
Posts: 393
Thanks: 8
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Did you get hit with the gusty winds? On the western side of the bay it was pretty blustery between 7:30 and 10:00 pm (and we were tied up in a slip.)

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
oldlaxer1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake chef2sail Chesapeake Bay 1315 12-31-2017 11:09 AM
Transpac 2018 Lazerbrains General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-11-2017 10:55 AM
2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake SVAuspicious Chesapeake Bay 1895 01-07-2017 05:44 PM
2015 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake SVAuspicious Chesapeake Bay 434 01-03-2016 06:29 PM
Is the Chesapeake sailing season beginning? teshannon Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 41 12-23-2007 01:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome