2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 113 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1121 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

It's great reading everyone's sailing time this fall! I'm still catching up on the forums after an extended weekend out of state.

My projects have been more land-based. On this (almost 40 year old) boat, I'm working on repairing the gelcoat and nonskid. I used the companionway hatch as a test subject:

I think it turned out well. I used the Jamestown Distributors TotalBoat nonskid paint, mixed 50/50 with white and grey (which is more of a blue). It's definitely an improvement. Now... the rest of the boat will be a bigger project
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1122 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018

I'm enjoying reading this thread. We are currently in the Chesapeake for the first time ever as we take our boat south for the winter from Connecticut. We haven't seen too much yet, but we are absolutely enchanted with where we've been and everyone is so friendly. You are all very lucky to have this as your home cruising grounds.

We have loved it so much we are likely to base ourselves here next late spring/summer/early fall before heading south again. Hope to be contributing to this thread next year!

Kimberly

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1123 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
I'm enjoying reading this thread. We are currently in the Chesapeake for the first time ever as we take our boat south for the winter from Connecticut. We haven't seen too much yet, but we are absolutely enchanted with where we've been and everyone is so friendly. You are all very lucky to have this as your home cruising grounds.

We have loved it so much we are likely to base ourselves here next late spring/summer/early fall before heading south again. Hope to be contributing to this thread next year!

Kimberly
Welcome

We like our little slice of the empire.

There are a lot of very nice posters on here. Many of us get together on the water from time to time.
This thread continues year after year and is easily the most posted thread on Sailnet overall. One of the great parts is the restaurant guide where people rate where they visit. Another is that many members like myself post different awesome places to visit and anchor.

I am fortunate that we also travel some years to the stomping grounds on the LI Sound. Many similarities
The Chessie has so many places to anchor and gunkhole.

Feel free to join in.we are General a friendly lot ( myself excluded of course )😀😀😀
cthoops likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #1124 of 1159 Old 10-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
Did you get hit with the gusty winds? On the western side of the bay it was pretty blustery between 7:30 and 10:00 pm (and we were tied up in a slip.)
Things were totally placid in Engineers Cove last night. Sensors showed it was 2-8 kts with gusts to 10, but I think that inside the cove things were knocked down a lot. Inside my boat it was completely silent, with absolutely no rocking motion at all. I actually woke up this morning wondering "Where am I?" because there was no noise from the rigging, no water slapping, and no rocking. Just complete silence.

Once I entered the canal this morning there was a very gentle breeze with tiny ripples, but as soon as I entered the Delaware River water became confused and choppy. Things really picked up in the river around 9 am today, with boat heeling 15į on furled genoa alone. Sensors on the river showed 15 kt with gusts to 20. At the very end it was 20 kt sustained with gusts to 28 - a real struggle getting the boat tied up at the bulkhead.

I am so glad I left Rock Hall yesterday, with afternoon temps in the 60s and gentle breezes for the Bay portion of my trip (wind didn't pick up until I was already in Elk River). With today's wind and the mid-40s temps in the Delaware River, the only thing that made it tolerable was the lack of fetch. I would have been miserable on the eastern part of the Bay with all the fetch out of the NW.

The strong NW breezes blew all the water out of the river today, so I was unable to haul out. I'm hoping I can get hauled before I fly to Milwaukee on Sunday.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-27-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #1125 of 1159 Old 10-25-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
It's great reading everyone's sailing time this fall! I'm still catching up on the forums after an extended weekend out of state.

My projects have been more land-based. On this (almost 40 year old) boat, I'm working on repairing the gelcoat and nonskid. I used the companionway hatch as a test subject:

I think it turned out well. I used the Jamestown Distributors TotalBoat nonskid paint, mixed 50/50 with white and grey (which is more of a blue). It's definitely an improvement. Now... the rest of the boat will be a bigger project

Rezz, looks great. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it done.
Rezz likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
ďWho is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.Ē
-Paul Carvel
post #1126 of 1159 Old 10-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
I'm looking forward to running into you folks on the Chesapeake next year. The admiral and I passed our ASA course a few weeks ago and will probably be window shopping boats all winter. In the meantime, I'll content myself with following this thread!
Sorry about the delay responding. I've been a little busy moving my boat to winter storage.

It was almost exactly 9 years ago that my wife and I were in the same situation. We started viewing boats on the hard, with a different destination every weekend. We covered places all the way from Norfolk, VA (the day after Thanksgiving) to Kingston, NY (sometime in February). Visits to Annapolis, Mayo, Deale, Havre de Grace, Rock Hall, Fredericktown, Worton, Lewes DE, Cape May NJ, and others. It was infuriating going so far to see a boat described as "perfect" only to see mold growing all over the inside. But at the end of it all, my wife and I both felt that we enjoyed every trip for the time we were able to spend alone together - something that continued after we got our first (and second) boat. There's a thread (or several) somewhere describing our shopping trips (links below)

So my advice is to enjoy the journey, and make sure to find a nice place to go out for lunch or dinner at each destination where you look. Realize up front that you'll see some lousy boats, and just chalk it up to the experience you need to be ready to move quickly when you find the right boat. No matter what people tell you about how it's a buyers market with thousands of boats to be gotten cheaply, the ones in sail-away condition tend to go fast.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...ar-philly.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...-saturday.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...s-brokers.html

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #1127 of 1159 Old 10-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sorry about the delay responding. I've been a little busy moving my boat to winter storage.
No worries at all. Thanks for the links! I'll take a look through them to see what I can learn. Cheers!
post #1128 of 1159 Old 10-27-2018

With the approaching noreaster blowing water from the ocean into the Delaware Bay, we had a 7' high tide that allowed me to haul out "Breakin' Away" with ease yesterday. Normally my low water alarm goes crazy when pulling into the slings, but it was perfectly silent this time.

With fall weather so disappointing, I felt a great sense of relief getting her onto land for the winter. The two day trip up the Elk River, C&D Canal, and Delaware River is a bit of a pain (though with a little joy to go along with it), and sweating out whether the water will come up enough to allow me to get to the slings is an annoyance.

This year I looked around extensively for other places to haul out closer to Rock Hall, and found prices that were pretty attractive, but still higher than what I pay currently (it would be impossible to match my current $408 deal), but I ultimately decided it was not about money. I really like having the boat 12 minutes from my home all winter. I can easily go down there and work on things for a couple hours without blowing a whole day. I can go knock snow off the boat whenever needed. My winterization routine takes multiple trips with antifreeze, whole boat cover, etc., and would take a huge amount of time to complete if I had to drive 1-2 hours each way to the boat. So for the time being, I'll continue to deal with the boat club politics (which I've gotten pretty good at - just treat the right people to drinks) and sweating the tides, and storing/hauling my own boat stands back and forth from my house. Having the boat so close to home allows me to enjoy it in a different way during the winter.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #1129 of 1159 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

There are a lot of different ways to look at winterization and the possible end of a sailing season.

We only pull out every 3-4 years thus saving a lot of money on costs for winter storage. We lease our slip on a yearly basis.

So wether itís $408 or $20 a ft like most places itís a fee we donít pay.

We donít have to worry about the boat taking extra stress vibrating on 8 jack strands to dissipate wind energy as the mast hums. In the water that energy is transferred into the water with the boat gently rolling. If you think thatís a minor point go down
and sit in your cabin while on land in 20 knot winds.

We never have to worry about boats blocking us in in as we hear others complain about every year, club politics or kissing ass in order to begin sailing in the spring.

Our 45 minute drive to the boat is not far. We make a day of it, or a weekend even during prep time. We keep Haleakula area where there are things to do year round.

First and foremost is her safety. We have no open fetch or worries from weather usually. To us thatís the primary consideration of a marina.

Rock in your case I keep hearing you commenting ands commiserating on the poor fall sailing season. That may be a personal thing limited by your new job, puppy, commitments which limited weekends for to go and then those weekends had less than stellar weather. I found our fall sailing season on of the best in the last 10 years with lots of wind and great weekends. We just returned from a 10 day sailing trip which saw great sailing conditions . I guess itís in each persons perspective. If sailing is your priority then you find a way to go. If itís not...you donít. Understand I am not criticizing each or your priorities, just that I donít think the weather is to blame if you sailed less this fall. We all have different thresholds.

Certainly the wetter than usual weather, the debris from Conowingo openings, and the potential hurricane Mathew created some obstacles , but they were only mi or ones in this area. We lucked out as opposed to NC.

To those throwing in the towel in early October for whatever reason, I hope you had a good season. Many on the LI Sound have a similar shortened season. Make your project list and work on them so as soon as you get in winterized in the spring you can get to it.

For those like us who have at least another month to 6 weeks to enjoy bonus sailing and enjoyment of the beautiful Chesapeake which will be uncrowded and good winds. We will also have projects to work on

For those who keep sailing all through the winter. I admire your spirit as you enjoy different challenges in all weather sailing. Like Gary, I think my age precludes my well being to sail when the temp outside reaches below 40 during sunlight hours.

So who is staying in???????

For those who continue

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-27-2018 at 02:36 PM.
post #1130 of 1159 Old 10-27-2018

Dave, we discuss whether to leave the boat in every year. So far, no interest in that. Maybe next year.

I agree that having the boat in the water allows for better damping of vibration and absorption of energy through heeling. I was especially aware of it earlier today when I was on the boat relaxing while 40 kt gusts were coming through. In the end, there are risks of all sorts to having a boat anywhere during winter season in this region (or during summer in tropical areas). Insurance actuaries are in agreement that the balance of all types of risks adds up to less risk while on the hard. But bottom line, everyone should keep their boat where they can best enjoy it and/or maintain it. During the winter months for us, that location is where it is now, though we will reassess every year.

When I say that this fall's sailing weather has been disappointing, I do not consider that commiserating. I see that as statement of obvious fact. Like the rest of us, you were completely unable to sail last Sunday or today. That's a big chunk of prime weekend sailing time. It's a bit of a statistical fluke, since that weather could have just as easily come on a weekday when we wouldn't be sailing anyway. But calling it disappointing is an appropriately measured description - not being overly pessimistic at all.

You draw the line for enjoyable sailing at 40įF, and that's great. We draw our line at more like 55įF (though we'd be fine sailing for a couple hours down to 45įF in the early morning). With an enclosed cockpit that would be different, but that's not our current situation.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in