2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 114 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1131 of 1159 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Rick, it was you who said the fall weather was disappointing. I think I was clarifying that it was disappointing for you. The weather was not disappointing for me. While last Sunday it was a bit much , I have not found the fall disappointing. We went for a complete 10 day trip, and were able to sail every day except last Sunday. Lots of wind as I mentioned for the whole trip. Judging by the number of boats we see out, especially in the Annapolis areA I see many still sailing.

I understand the reason you thought the weather was disappointing like I said. Commitments , dog, job requiring travel to Wisconsin. The days you could sail just happened to be the days that the weather was not perfect. It’s all good as you stated as you get enjoyment just being at the boat. I can understand that. I wouldn’t have sailed today anyway as Donna works every 4th weekend and it was her weekend to work. I took the time to go down to Haleakula and complete my list of projects for this year. I use the days that I can’t go out to do that as I beleive you do so I can get out when I can.

Today I did an oil change, impeller change, converted one of the last three standard lights ( head ) to an LED Bulb. I opened up the V berth where the holding tank is and did some detailing. Checked the sanitation hoses. Still doing great after 8 years ( Trident Green Stripe). Wiped out the bilge pump switch, opened the main electrical panel and checked all connections. That was enough.

I made my next years project list. I may with some help replace the cabin sole. 35 years ago it was new, but it’s seen it’s better days. It has about 9 different cut shapes and is screwed onto the stringers . I then went over to Exotic Lumber ( a candy store for wood aficionados), which is right around the corner from Haleakulas marina, and priced two sheets of 1/2 inch teak and holly sole. About $400. Course picking up the old floor will lead to quite a cleaning project as well as bridge hose replacement . I found someone to cut the needed shapes., from my old floor templates for $200. Course it will require 7+ coats of protection after cut before installing.
I need to research what to use.

I then went over to Bacons....just to puruse. I was looking for large carabeniers as I want to make a shock absorber type device for clipping on to a mooring ball eye. When we went to Annapolis last weekend the mooring ball had a pennant with just a thimble on the end. First I’d ever seen that. Usually in my experience there is at least a loop . All I purchased there was 5 gallons of the pink anti freeze and 35 feet of pre cut piece of dyneema ($10)

Got back home in time to make a pot of real Muliquatanny soup ( 4 gallons) and watch the PSU Football game. Productive day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-27-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1132 of 1159 Old 10-27-2018

Yeah, the thimbles instead of loops caught us by surprise too. We had to do a second pass while pulling out ground tackle. I don’t like it because it gives everyone too much latitude to put out a very long painter and swing too close to others. It was better just having a loop to stick on your cleat.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #1133 of 1159 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yeah, the thimbles instead of loops caught us by surprise too. We had to do a second pass while pulling out ground tackle. I don’t like it because it gives everyone too much latitude to put out a very long painter and swing too close to others. It was better just having a loop to stick on your cleat.
I want to make something like this Davis schockle. Use the carabiner to attach to the thimble and attach to dock lines we carry always. One for each side.

I agree about the long painter.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/davis...er--P011887262

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #1134 of 1159 Old 11-03-2018 Thread Starter

On a Gusty day , we bounced out of our slip and sped down the creek , jib only. We had intended a small sail and settled for 2 hours. Anchored on Burley Creek off of Mill Creek closee to home. Tremendous fall leaf colors all along the creek. Ducks a plenty too.

Dinghy came off the davits today rolled up in the back of Doonna Murano, the Lehr propane outboard on the back rail. Very peaceful day. Temps to be in the upper 40s tonight , but we have our propane heater and nice warm do a n comfortablerters as well as each other.
Fall is a wonderfully time on the Chesapeake.

Could possibly be our last sail.....we don't winterize till December though.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1135 of 1159 Old 11-04-2018 Thread Starter

Warm, mid 60s light N-NW wind 8-10. Was able to do a couple tacks over to Kent Island across the Bay and back. T shirt weather. Fair number of sailboats out. Very relaxing mellow day.

There is something definately different sailing in fall with the leaves in the water, different sun angles, beautiful dark blue skies .

Another positive bonus day for sure.
oysterman23 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1136 of 1159 Old 11-04-2018
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Warm, mid 60s light N-NW wind 8-10. Was able to do a couple tacks over to Kent Island across the Bay and back. T shirt weather. Fair number of sailboats out. Very relaxing mellow day.

There is something definately different sailing in fall with the leaves in the water, different sun angles, beautiful dark blue skies .

Another positive bonus day for sure.
Sounds like the southerly version of the day here on Great South Bay. Cool but not cold and wind veering occasionally but nice with a Drifter up. So nice out there off season and the light spectacular
Windwitch was very contented.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #1137 of 1159 Old 11-10-2018

Not my kinda weather today! Hope you’re bundled up if you’re out there.

We drove across the Bay Bridge today and didn’t see anyone out except a few crazies heading out of Sandy Point State Park on a little pontoon boat. They were in the lee of the point, but from the height of the bridge we could see that they were heading for a bumpy wet ride once they got out a bit.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-10-2018 at 04:24 PM.
post #1138 of 1159 Old 11-10-2018 Thread Starter

Definately a chilly day. We hung out at the slip. Do dinner some maintainence work so we couldn't have to waste time in the spring.
Brought down the winter canvas cover. It's covy inside the boat tonight just us and the quacking ducks. Dinner is braised short ribs, roasted red potatoes with rosemary and grilled asparagus. First meal all year in the cabin. Tomorrow taking off the grill, lifesling, horseshoe, and making our winterization list. Still may get lucky and see a warm day in November.

Dec10 looks like winterization day wHen Haleakula goes to hibernation for 3 months.

Been planning our trip to the LI Sound as we have 3 weeks beginning May 22.
Newport, Cuttyhunk, Marthas Vineyard are probables. Greenport , Mystic, Stonington, Montauk are probables along with Northport and Port Washington.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #1139 of 1159 Old 11-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Not my kinda weather today! Hope you’re bundled up if you’re out there.

We drove across the Bay Bridge today and didn’t see anyone out except a few crazies heading out of Sandy Point State Park on a little pontoon boat. They were in the lee of the point, but from the height of the bridge we could see that they were heading for a bumpy wet ride once they got out a bit.
Complete bust for me. I had planned to go for an overnight, maybe to Still Pond or Worton Creek (the inner part). Forecast was for up to West 20MPH in the middle of the day but then rapidly going down. The peak is too much for me to get out of my slip safely (singlehanded) so my plan was to wait till about 3 when winds should be 12 knots and falling. Well, did not happen: when I came to the marina at 3, the wind was howling, I would say at least 25 knots. Even to get on the boat with all the equipment/clothing I brought was going to be a major endeavor.

So I gave up. It did calm down by 5 or so but the sun was also gone. I actually like night sailing but not particularly going INTO the night, followed by a long cold dark sail.

The really sad thing is that exactly the same happened last weekend. Maybe I should just accept that the season is over.
post #1140 of 1159 Old 11-10-2018
Administrator

It was definitely a sporty day on the water. We saw some pretty high winds out there. It was gusting well up into 30 knot range. The broad reach down towards Thomas Point was a wild sleigh ride. But the close reach back was a wet and wild slog. I like to go out on days like this to keep up my heavy weather skills as well as to better understand the capability of my boat.

Despite the big gusts, the wind was manageable, but the waves were a mess with breaking wave trains crossing at 45 degrees with each other and really throwing a lot of water.

The hardest part of the day was trying to get the boat into the slip with strong side winds and currents. It took several passes before being able to time the speed at which the wind was going to blow the bow to leeward.

But that was part of the reason I was out there in the first place.

Jeff
craigtoo and oldlaxer1 like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in