LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Done! Pass on your email and be prepared for a really big zip file. lol
Yeah, I heard that heat doesn't compress very well.

Although the task is still not 100% complete, after installing my new cabin sole I was able to mostly clean up the boat and enjoy a couple of hours of puttering around while listening to the stereo.

I cannot adequately convey how much this improves my attitude and mental outlook.
oldlaxer1 and capta like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Its the time of year where ideas for sailing adventures starts turning over in my head, and this year the idea that has taken root is doing a 100NM "century" sail.

Just toying with the idea, but thinking something like an overnight from Herring Bay to York River, Hampton or maybe Cape Charles (some of those are bit over 100NM), then taking several days, stopping at some of my old favorite anchorages, to work my way back home.

No particular reason, other than do do an overnight sail without the pressure of being in a race with a bunch of crew.

I expect this would be a single boat deal, as I don't know how appealing such a trip would be to our yacht club friends.

Anyway its an idea to help while away these frigid days.
I think that's a great idea. Here's my version - a 100 mile "Sail to Nowhere", i.e., from the Severn river in Maryland to the Severn river in Virginia: http://tinyurl.com/y8xacvwq . It's almost exactly 100 miles, plus a few more to tack around land masses. YMMV.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #113 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
Chastened

Do a Delmarva. 450 miles to nowhere. I might do another this year.

post #114 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Do a Delmarva. 450 miles to nowhere. I might do another this year.
When?

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #115 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
When?
I'm thinking mid/late summer like I did the first time. Conditions were mostly calm. I like calm. The first day and the last day were the only ones with significant weather.

post #116 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018

Quote:
Its the time of year where ideas for sailing adventures starts turning over in my head, and this year the idea that has taken root is doing a 100NM "century" sail.
Sounds like fun and a great way to get some newbies out for an overnight sail. We've done this with a trip from the USVIs to St. Martin/Angula; a bit less traffic on that one. People loved the night sailing, but getting anyone to rest for a late watch was hard.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
post #117 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:

Just toying with the idea, but thinking something like an overnight from Herring Bay to York River, Hampton or maybe Cape Charles (some of those are bit over 100NM), then taking several days, stopping at some of my old favorite anchorages, to work my way back home.

No particular reason, other than do do an overnight sail without the pressure of being in a race with a bunch of crew.

I expect this would be a single boat deal, as I don't know how appealing such a trip would be to our yacht club friends.

Anyway its an idea to help while away these frigid days.
Good fun. We’ve essentially done that to Yorktown in the past. I’d stay on the western side. Really only Onancock to see over across the way besides, Cape charles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #118 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I cannot adequately convey how much this improves my attitude and mental outlook.
This is what I tell my wife, but she thinks therapy would be cheaper
post #119 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Good fun. We’ve essentially done that to Yorktown in the past. I’d stay on the western side. Really only Onancock to see over across the way besides, Cape charles
Cape Charles is sort of the "one that got away" for us. We were still in Deltaville when Cape Charles overhauled itself and became a far more interesting destination. However, while our marina mates told us how much they enjoyed visiting, its one of the places we never managed to visit so I really would like to find a way to work in a visit.

I've been to Onancock many times but it is one of our favorite stops. I'll grant its a tad out of the way so might not fit this trip should it happen.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #120 of 1159 Old 02-06-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

[QUOTE=PalmettoSailor;2051375650]Cape Charles is sort of the "one that got away" for us. We were still in Deltaville when Cape Charles overhauled itself and became a far more interesting destination. However, while our marina mates told us how much they enjoyed visiting, its one of the places we never managed to visit so I really would like to find a way to work in a visit.

I've been to Onancock many times but it is one of our favorite stops. I'll grant its a tad out of the way so might not fit this trip should it happen.[/QUOTE

There are two marinas there. The city one has great facilities. The town is easy walking distance anda few good restaurants. Ginger nut pub is Irish food and great selections of beer. The restaurant in the bank ( igingrrnut is also) has unique decor and fabulous stuffed fresh toast, Also the Shanty, is at the marina has good local seafood. Town is quaint and quiet. Beach is a good walk. Negatives of the city marina is the surge in the harbor at the slips can make it a bit rough. Make sure your bow points west in the slip. Concrete factory next to the marina,

We have not visited the Oyster Farm Marina. Looks nice and is a destination like marina. Looks more protected than the city one , but a longer way to town. If we return we will go here.

Last season we visited there in June. Onancock and Crissfield in September. It was enough for a while for us. Looks like we are headed to Yorktown in June for three days ( were here a few years ag before the new center was completed) . We visited the museum in Hampton which houses the Monitor and also Williamstown. The area has car rentals for $50,
We have done the trip to Yorktown from the Severn in one day/ night. Same on the return trip. Much of this depends of course on the winds/ sea state crossing the Potomac. The area can be a *****.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in