2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 1159 Old 02-08-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I'm thinking mid/late summer like I did the first time. Conditions were mostly calm. I like calm. The first day and the last day were the only ones with significant weather.
Clockwise or Counter?

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1159 Old 02-09-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Clockwise or Counter?
My boogeyman on a Delmarva circuit, is being caught bashing upwind in the Delaware Bay. Last time, I sailed counter-clockwise to ride a southerly up the Delaware Bay because summer winds are mostly southerly with some variations depending on what kind of systems are passing through.

This worked well and I did hitch a ride on a beautiful southerly all the way from Lewes, to the canal.

As you know, there really isn't anywhere for a sailboat to bail out on the Delaware Bay. If I have to bash to windward in a short chop, I'd rather do it in the Chesapeake where I have plenty of bailout options.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #123 of 1159 Old 02-09-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
My boogeyman on a Delmarva circuit, is being caught bashing upwind in the Delaware Bay. Last time, I sailed counter-clockwise to ride a southerly up the Delaware Bay because summer winds are mostly southerly with some variations depending on what kind of systems are passing through.

This worked well and I did hitch a ride on a beautiful southerly all the way from Lewes, to the canal.

As you know, there really isn't anywhere for a sailboat to bail out on the Delaware Bay. If I have to bash to windward in a short chop, I'd rather do it in the Chesapeake where I have plenty of bailout options.
Yeah good choice. Plus you get almost an hour more of the current when you travel north and if you time it correctly can go through the canal with the current.

Delaware Bay itself ( Home if the square short interval wave and green head fly) is a miserable trip.

We have always done the Delmarva counter clockwise for just the reasons you stated. Having bailout places is a good thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #124 of 1159 Old 02-09-2018
thinking of this...

Quote:
Cabin sole is finally installed.

The boat can be sailed now, but I still need to install trim around the exposed edges and I need to replace the small, trapezoidal section under the companionway ladder.
Ajax,
Congrats on completing the job!
I'm picking up some new teak and holly plywood tomorrow to replace my 30 year old cabin sole. I read earlier that you epoxied the bottom and edges and varnished the top. If you don't mind my asking, which products did you use for:
- varnish
- epoxy
Did you use anything like a sanding sealer on the top/exposed section of the teak and holly? Any pics?
Just curious.

~Jim
Ramble On
1986 Pearson 28-2
post #125 of 1159 Old 02-09-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL3 View Post
Ajax,
Congrats on completing the job!
I'm picking up some new teak and holly plywood tomorrow to replace my 30 year old cabin sole. I read earlier that you epoxied the bottom and edges and varnished the top. If you don't mind my asking, which products did you use for:
- varnish
- epoxy
Did you use anything like a sanding sealer on the top/exposed section of the teak and holly? Any pics?
Just curious.
You really shouldn't ask me. I'm a hack. Woodwork and carpentry is my weakest point. I do engines, electrical/electronics and plumbing.

To seal the underside and edges, I used TotalBoat penetrating epoxy from Jamestown Distributors (cold weather formula, since it's winter). I thinned it with acetone. You can also use denatured alcohol. This soaks it deep into the wood.

I did NOT epoxy or seal the walking face because I was unsure of product compatibility between the epoxy and whatever varnish I would finally choose. I felt that the varnish would protect the walking face enough if I maintain it.

After 2 weeks of talking with people, I receive advice from the standard "Epiphanes" to "buy a cheap floor varnish." I'd heard some bad things about water based varnish, so I ruled those out. I ended up settling on this floor varnish by Deft called "Defthane." It's an oil based, polyurethane floor varnish with UV stabilizers. That ticked all of my boxes. I chose to use a satin finish because...we're walking on it and because the satin finish is more forgiving to mistakes than a high gloss finish.

I sanded everything as per the instructions of whatever product I was using. By hand, with the grain.
The Defthane indicated that 4 coats would be enough. I applied 7 coats. That used up nearly 2 quarts of varnish, so I think it's on there pretty thick.
JSL3 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
JSL3 (02-10-2018)
post #126 of 1159 Old 02-09-2018
Chastened

Against my better judgement, here's a photo.

There is a wood transition strip that will cover the joint at the bottom of the photo (aft).
I will be making edge trim out of teak battens that will cover the joints all along the settees.

I ripped strips of Burmese teak to make trim to cover the interior edges of the sole, and all around the edges of the bilge boards in the center. I didn't have my table saw perfectly adjusted, so the strips were a bit wonky and I had to plane and sand them. I had to apply a tiny bit of wood filler in a few places...and that crap wasn't a good color match.

Basically, I did just good enough of a job that I didn't get mad enough to rip it out and start all over again. I was close...
Attached Thumbnails
sole3.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
JSL3 (02-10-2018)
post #127 of 1159 Old 02-09-2018

Not the Chesapeake but a nice day for a sail around the Nanaimo Harbour and out towards Gabriola Island. Cool with some sunshine and a 10 knot breeze...the boat liked the action as much as we did.
Ajax_MD likes this.
post #128 of 1159 Old 02-12-2018
Chastened

My teak battens should arrive tomorrow. I'll begin trimming out the perimeter of the cabin sole.

I varnished the sole but the entire rest of the cabin is unvarnished, oiled wood. It appears to also be stained with a cherry stain or something. I'm going to cut a bit of excess from one of the teak battens and tape off test strips where I will apply several different types of stains until I find a color that nicely ties the cabin sole to the settees. I won't be varnishing the battens.

The spousal unit thinks the new sole is great. It's nice to have a woman who is so easily satisfied.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

post #129 of 1159 Old 02-16-2018
Chastened

Ok, the teak battens have arrived. It's interesting how different the color is, depending on where the wood is sourced. These battens are darker than I expected, so I'm not going to stain or varnish them.

I'm just going to cut them into trim pieces and oil them with Watco teak oil. They'll fill in nicely between the settees and the cabin sole. Hopefully I can complete this phase of the project this weekend.

post #130 of 1159 Old 02-19-2018
Chastened

Most of the trim work was completed this weekend. I have one piece that will require a lot of fiddling for the final fit, but no big deal.
Here's a photo of a quick test fit of some of the trim.

First, I ordered battens that are 3" wide (high) X 3/8" thick X 5 feet long. I used my table saw to rip them until they were 1 1/2" high. This doubled the material I have to work with, as well as gave me the flat base that sits on the cabin sole. 5 feet isn't long enough to completely trim either side, so I used a compound miter saw to cut miter joints to disguise joint where I joined multiple pieces to get the total length.

The port settee also has a funky angle to it, to allow a clear walking path to the head. That's the one piece that I'm going to have to fiddle with. It's mostly done but I have one final cut I need to make, to get it to conform to the curvature of the hull as well as the angle of the settee. Very 3-D.

After the photo was taken, we oiled the teak trim with Watco teak oil. It gave it a great color. I'm glad I decided not to varnish these parts. If it's not raining, I'll try to finish it all up today.
Attached Thumbnails
trima.jpg  
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in