2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 19 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Our two go-to guides have always been:
The Chesapeake Bay Magazine Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay.
Current editor is Jody Argo Schroath. Great info about ports of call and anchorages. Local knowledge in most cases.

AND
Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide by Shellenberger
Wonderful descriptions of anchorages

We now supplement with Active Captain data and even the community sourced data in our Navionics app but for trip planning, these two guides have always been the best.

Mary Lou
Rosborough RF 246 Tara
Rock Hall
The Following User Says Thank You to mltroy For This Useful Post:
Ajax_MD (03-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

even though my boat isn't sailing right now, I got the Gunkholer's Guide. Been reading through it a while and looks pretty well written. Looking forward to exploring some of those places.
Ajax_MD and AJC506 like this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #183 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018

Out of habit we've always used the Chesapeake Bay Magazine guide and it has served us well. One thing to note about this guide (and I suppose any of them) is that the information is always several months behind, at best. This has caused a few disappointments, but nothing major. The worst was expecting an ice cream parlor at a destination on a hot day only to find it long closed. As electronic charts and cellular data coverage around the bay have improved over the years, we've found ourselves less reliant on printed guides but still find them to be the best resource for getting the flavor and general lay of the land of new places.
chef2sail and AJC506 like this.

post #184 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
It's unusual for me but I just had a thought. Has anyone considered installing solar hot water panels and a small circ pump on their boat in addition to solar PV? Would weight be a problem since the panels would sit up high? It may be stupid idea but I just have to know. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Years ago a salesman showed me a solar hot water setup - vacuum tubes with a copper element at the top that heated the water as it passed by. His sales kit was a briefcase sized demonstration setup with 3 or 4 two foot long tubes.
If I could find a kit like that I think it would be perfect for use on the boat.
post #185 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
even though my boat isn't sailing right now, I got the Gunkholer's Guide. Been reading through it a while and looks pretty well written. Looking forward to exploring some of those places.
another vote for Shellenberger's Gunkholers Guide. I've passed several copies to friends through the years, usually getting another copy from Abebooks. They have several available now for less than 5 bucks....

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...uide&kn=&isbn=
post #186 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018

Quote:
It's unusual for me but I just had a thought. Has anyone considered installing solar hot water panels and a small circ pump on their boat in addition to solar PV? Would weight be a problem since the panels would sit up high? It may be stupid idea but I just have to know. Thanks in advance for any responses.
It would help to know the size of boat that you have, to recommend something that's appropriate.

If you want to KISS, how about a solar shower? We used this on my old boat and it worked great without adding a lot of weight. Just hang it from a halyard when you want to shower on deck. Or set up a hanging peg in your shower down below (if your boat is big enough to have one):

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000.../dp/B0009PUT20

Of course, if you're motoring, most marine hot water heaters allow you to circulate your engine coolant through the hot water heater. In fact, we've NEVER turned on the electric heater on our boat, since we take showers on shore whenever we're in a marina. I'll have to test it sometime just to make sure it still works.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #187 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I just know that I'm missing seeing some incredible places on the Chesapeake. Until now, I've been relying on reports from sailors on internet forums and visiting many of the same places repeatedly. I'm looking for new opportunities.

Which cruising guide do you guys feel is superior for the bay-

The Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay
or the Waterway Guide?

Or are they about the same?
Active captain

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #188 of 1159 Old 03-05-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Got a chance to visit Haleakula on Sunday. Was still pretty damn Windy.
She’s was floating peCefully in the slip....one slight tear in the canvas winter cover where a branch flew through it.
Noticed extra chafe on the bow line as the chafe Gaurd wore through.
Marina owner said he saw 50 steady gusts to 65 at home but only 40 in the marina annemometèr log.

Getting itchy to start the season.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #189 of 1159 Old 03-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Years ago a salesman showed me a solar hot water setup - vacuum tubes with a copper element at the top that heated the water as it passed by. His sales kit was a briefcase sized demonstration setup with 3 or 4 two foot long tubes.
If I could find a kit like that I think it would be perfect for use on the boat.
Thanks for the reply. My field is energy conservation so I'm trying to think out of the box. A small system that could provide hot water for showering, dish washing etc would save running the auxiliary. Of course, if you are motoring anyway, then by all means fire up the hot water.
post #190 of 1159 Old 03-08-2018

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My field is energy conservation so I'm trying to think out of the box. A small system that could provide hot water for showering, dish washing etc would save running the auxiliary. Of course, if you are motoring anyway, then by all means fire up the hot water.
Rick’s suggestion a few posts ago is spot on—especially for a energy conservationist. We have water heater on board, but will carry a solar shower if there are extra family on an overnight at anchor. The one we have has a clear plastic on one side of the bag and black plastic on the other. You secure the bag on your cabin top with the clear side up and let the sun heat it up during the day. On a good day the water gets quite hot. In any case, you will use much less water with the solar shower than with your onboard pressure water system. We find that a satisfying shower with one of these things can use less than a gallon.

To use the solar shower you can hoist in on a halyard and shower by the mast, or you can lay in on top of a Bimini and shower in the cockpit, or you might even be able to lay in on the cabin top and run the hose through a portlight in your head for more privacy. (You might want to get a longer hose for the latter arrangement.)

Bottom line: Solar showers are a bit of a kluge, but they are effective and incredibly water-efficient at their primary function (showers). Using one to do the dishes might be really awkward if you have to turn the flow on and off repeatedly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in