2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 22 - SailNet Community
 467Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 1159 Old 03-15-2018
Chastened
 
Ajax_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 4,862
Thanks: 10
Thanked 145 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
You guys chose to up there o stop whining. Meanwhile it’s gog y be 41 degrees tomorrow morning in Vero Beach Fl. That’s just bull Crap!
I am surprised to hear that it's so cool, so far south. There is no forecast change in the current pattern. We will remain at low 30's and mid 40's as far out as Saturday, March 24th. The Chesapeake region has not reached average March temperatures one single day so far.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Ajax_MD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 1159 Old 03-15-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Somewhat near Naptown
Posts: 203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I was going to take the winter cover off tomorrow, but with gusts of 30mph predicted it looks like the uncloaking will have to wait a few days.
slap is online now  
post #213 of 1159 Old 03-15-2018
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 48
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I am surprised to hear that it's so cool, so far south. There is no forecast change in the current pattern. We will remain at low 30's and mid 40's as far out as Saturday, March 24th. The Chesapeake region has not reached average March temperatures one single day so far.
We've been enjoying the Nor'Easters in Charleston and the Virgin Islands. The VI had huuuge surf and it was hunker down mode. Charleston has had back to back gales and we've had frost on the docks. The next two weeks look better with 60s/70s during the day.

We'd like to head back to Deale second week of April, weather depending. We may just wait a month if it does not look friendly to sail outside from Charleston to Southport, NC. Last year we had much better weather in May than April.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
RickGUSVI is offline  
 
post #214 of 1159 Old 03-15-2018
Senior Member
 
T37Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 5,106
Thanks: 107
Thanked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Question Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

What do you think... 5 years on wet cell L16 batteries... it seems thats about the life and I admit, I didn't take the best care of them. I didn't equalize monthly and fried on of the terminals a few years ago (don't do boat work with a buzz except maybe sanding lol).

So hopefully tomorrow I'll be changing out all my batteries for new. Going with two L16 Deka Lead Acid on bank one and two Trojan T105 for bank two, eliminating a dedicated "start" battery. I carry a jump start battery pack for back up but found never using the group 27 12V sealed liquid acid start battery caused it to fail early.

So if all goes as planned, new batteries installed tomorrow or Saturday morning then the first sail of the 2018 season. The last attempt was interrupted by several days of Gale force winds and freezing temps... this weekend looks a lot better.

Shawn


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T37Chef is offline  
post #215 of 1159 Old 03-16-2018
Chastened
 
Ajax_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 4,862
Thanks: 10
Thanked 145 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
What do you think... 5 years on wet cell L16 batteries... it seems thats about the life and I admit, I didn't take the best care of them. I didn't equalize monthly and fried on of the terminals a few years ago (don't do boat work with a buzz except maybe sanding lol).

So hopefully tomorrow I'll be changing out all my batteries for new. Going with two L16 Deka Lead Acid on bank one and two Trojan T105 for bank two, eliminating a dedicated "start" battery. I carry a jump start battery pack for back up but found never using the group 27 12V sealed liquid acid start battery caused it to fail early.

So if all goes as planned, new batteries installed tomorrow or Saturday morning then the first sail of the 2018 season. The last attempt was interrupted by several days of Gale force winds and freezing temps... this weekend looks a lot better.
There's no way that one of those jump packs would crank my diesel, or even provide enough of an assist. I'm not dissing your plan though.
I'm keeping a dedicated start battery of flooded lead-acid, and replacing my house battery with a Firefly AGM, and hopefully adding another Firefly later in the year for a total of 230 actual, usable amp-hours. Even one of those batteries will be a huge improvement for me.
chef2sail likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Ajax_MD is offline  
post #216 of 1159 Old 03-16-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,931
Thanks: 78
Thanked 175 Times in 167 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
There's no way that one of those jump packs would crank my diesel, or even provide enough of an assist. I'm not dissing your plan though.
I'm keeping a dedicated start battery of flooded lead-acid, and replacing my house battery with a Firefly AGM, and hopefully adding another Firefly later in the year for a total of 230 actual, usable amp-hours. Even one of those batteries will be a huge improvement for me.
We’ve used one of those pacs to start our Yanmar GF30.

I am interested in the Fireflys also for my next set, but want to see how they perform real world with people so you are the test parrot🐥

How many do you need to get 230 usable.? Conventional would be 460.

Their life expectancy on their website says 3-5 years. Is that what you are planning? Or do you expect more?

Do you expect to discharge to 80%? That seems like a lot

Getting 5 years out of wet cells is pretty good considering not equalization. Shawn’s new banks give him 700 ah combined 350 usable.
Separated 220 and 115 usable. That’s plenty of juice . Can probably go 3-4 days with no charge at all.

We got 10 years on our last 2 sets of lifeline6- 6 volt AGM . Each set had 720 ah or 360 usable. One of the reasons I chose the Lifeline AGM is that they can be equalized and you can blow off the sulfation.
I try and do this diligently once a month. Carefully set the Mastervolt charger for a few hours at increased power 16.5 and go to town. I attribute the long life of our batteries to this procedure.

If you figure the cost out. The 6 volt Lifeline AGM costs $300 a piece. Little cheaper on sale but go with $300. 6x 300= $1800. Divided by 10 years = $180 per year. Not too bad

A 720 ah bank is pretty large for a non cruiser I know, but I vowed to never worry about battery power and starting the engine again. After reinsulation of the ice box and converting to LED my daily ah diet is 76. I can go 4-5 days with no charging. The Lifeline AGM smaller footprint allowed us to put them on their side and fit in the battery compartment. No maintainence other than equalizing.

One reason I built 1 bank vs 2 was the time it takes to charge. It takes less tome to 85% with the one big bank when absorption stage takes over.

We also have a 100 amp Balmar with AC5 controller when under power to charge up the excessive bank.

We do take a few two week trips where this setup was tested with no shore power taken to charge. I vowed years ago never to worry about conserving lol so I am spoiled now.

Interested to see how the Fireflys work out. Sounds like sound technology, but I really do question running them down 80% or their life expectancy. Keep us in the loop.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #217 of 1159 Old 03-16-2018
Chastened
 
Ajax_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 4,862
Thanks: 10
Thanked 145 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

The Firefly batteries are actually not new technology. They've been around for about 10 years and there are several articles and tests out there in Practical Sailor and elsewhere. I've also talked to a few sailors who own them and state that they do live up to the hype. In fact, I think Maine Sail speaks well of them. Here's a testimonial from Nigel Calder:
https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-conte...nial-nigel.pdf
https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-conte...ter-update.pdf

I think the reason for lack of exposure and wide spread adoption, is the cost: $486 each.

It'll take me 2 batteries to get 230 amp hours. One Firefly is 116 amp hours, and it is mostly usable, for 1000 cycles. For me, the big draw is that they shrug off living at PSOC, which is perfect for sailboat living.

While I have one Firefly, I'm going to keep my 50 amp OEM alternator. I might investigate a more powerful alternator if I upgrade to two Fireflies. I am going to add a 50w solar panel to take me up to an even 200 watts of solar production.

I think these batteries occupy the perfect compromise spot between old style, flooded lead and complex lithium technology.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Ajax_MD is offline  
post #218 of 1159 Old 03-16-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,931
Thanks: 78
Thanked 175 Times in 167 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
The Firefly batteries are actually not new technology. They've been around for about 10 years and there are several articles and tests out there in Practical Sailor and elsewhere. I've also talked to a few sailors who own them and state that they do live up to the hype. In fact, I think Maine Sail speaks well of them. Here's a testimonial from Nigel Calder:
https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-conte...nial-nigel.pdf
https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-conte...ter-update.pdf

I think the reason for lack of exposure and wide spread adoption, is the cost: $486 each.

It'll take me 2 batteries to get 230 amp hours. One Firefly is 116 amp hours, and it is mostly usable, for 1000 cycles. For me, the big draw is that they shrug off living at PSOC, which is perfect for sailboat living.

While I have one Firefly, I'm going to keep my 50 amp OEM alternator. I might investigate a more powerful alternator if I upgrade to two Fireflies. I am going to add a 50w solar panel to take me up to an even 200 watts of solar production.

I think these batteries occupy the perfect compromise spot between old style, flooded lead and complex lithium technology.
Quite good

I remember when they first appeared at a boat show about 10 years ago. Don’t remember which one that was. I was intrigued.

What interested to me was the claim that you can take them down to 20% . That would be a huge advantage. Although I don’t want them to get programmed to getting only recharged to 85% of capacity.


For Haleakula I look at these factors.
- Cost per year. Taking the total price divided by the actual lifetime in years .Many make an argument for
Cheapie wet cells, but when you figure most people replace their wet cells 2 to three times in the
10 years my Lifelines last well you can’t argue with math
- Maintainence- AGM have very little besides making sure connections are kept clean and for Lifelines.
Equalizing them once a month for 3 hours or so. Wet cells should be done for sure also or they
will suffocate With sulfation. No worrying about filling with water with AGM also
- Space- utilizes our battery compartment to the max as they can be laid on end or side by side. Without
This there would only be room for 4 - 6 volters.

You seem to have a good plan and are on top of it. That’s why I am interested in your results. Having the solar capacity is great to keep them topped off. Trying to live “ off the grid” requires good planning.

Good luck with them😄👍🌪


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #219 of 1159 Old 03-16-2018
Senior Member
 
T37Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 5,106
Thanks: 107
Thanked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I never used the start battery therefore the change. There are power packs the size of a cell phone that could start a semi truck engine... im not concerned

Anyway... they are installing and charging appropriately... will check voltage and parameters tomorrow... I'm tired lol

Shawn


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-17-2018 at 09:54 PM.
T37Chef is offline  
post #220 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018
Chastened
 
Ajax_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 4,862
Thanks: 10
Thanked 145 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

These batteries don't seem fallible to "memory." My only concern is ensuring that my solar array controller is properly configured for AGM vs. wet lead. I'm buying the battery from the same place (locally) that I bought the solar panel, so they'll be able to guide me.

On an unrelated note, West Marine is having a big sale this weekend, so I bought a new furler line for the jib furler. That was the last of the running rigging left from the PO. Everything is one year old, or newer. Next year, I'll try to replace all of the standing rigging.

This has got to be the last boat. I just can't see starting from scratch on another, larger boat, getting it into fighting trim even when the bones are good. I know it's normal to go through a few iterations until you find your true love, but I think I have arrived.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Ajax_MD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake chef2sail Chesapeake Bay 1315 12-31-2017 10:09 AM
Transpac 2018 Lazerbrains General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-11-2017 09:55 AM
2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake SVAuspicious Chesapeake Bay 1895 01-07-2017 04:44 PM
2015 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake SVAuspicious Chesapeake Bay 434 01-03-2016 05:29 PM
Is the Chesapeake sailing season beginning? teshannon Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 41 12-23-2007 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome