2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 23 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

After a light wind sail 3 days ago and then 2 days of some rain, yesterday was 13 degrees with lots of wind. Once out of the protected harbour it was a little rough but we had a fast 2 hour sail out to Gabriola Island and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
After a light wind sail 3 days ago and then 2 days of some rain, yesterday was 13 degrees with lots of wind. Once out of the protected harbour it was a little rough but we had a fast 2 hour sail out to Gabriola Island and back.
I’m lost..where the heck is “Gabriola Island” on the Chesapeake..? That's a new one for me...

Last edited by aa3jy; 03-17-2018 at 11:36 AM.
post #223 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018

You are right aa3jy, Gabriola Island is not over there but then all this discussion about batteries isn't really about sailing at all....I don't want to ruffle your feathers and so will refrain from telling anyone about our sailing on the Straight of Georgia.

post #224 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018

Quote:
You are right aa3jy, Gabriola Island is not over there but then all this discussion about batteries isn't really about sailing at all....I don't want to ruffle your feathers and so will refrain from telling anyone about our sailing on the Straight of Georgia.
Naaa your not ruffling my feathers..that why I added the at the end..cause I've been by it on my Alaska motorcycle trip via Victoria Island from getting off the BC Ferry at Port Hardy riding down to Victoria picking up the Black Ball Ferry and back over to Port Angeles in Washington State..so I'm somewhat familiar with your area..
post #225 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
I’m lost..where the heck is “Gabriola Island” on the Chesapeake..? That's a new one for me...
My question too. 13 degree centigrade hasn’t been seen here yet. He must be lost or no thread for his area😄🌪🦅

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #226 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter

He lost no more....it’s British Colombia🦀🦀🦀... only about 4000 miles from the Chesapeake.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #227 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter

Down at Haleakula today. Pretty bitter to be working outside as it’s clouding up and tem is 44.
Plan was to take off winter cover this weekend, but in light of Tuesday’s/ Wednesday’s weather
Will wait till next weekend to unfurl Donna’s new bimini.

Today doing indoor projects and staying overnight for the first time this seaSon. Plenty to do. And
time to nap too😀😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #228 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018

Exactly my point chef2sail. I wander slightly from 'sailing on the Chesapeake' to 'sailing on the West Coast' and you complain...but you don't mind telling others about your exciting working indoors and having a nap.
As I stated, I will refrain from posting about our pleasant day sails.
Aa3jy. That must have been a great bike trip, I hope that the weather was okay as it can be shaky in the north. I am not being critical but Victoria is a main city as you know, but we live on Vancouver Island which should not be confused with the large port of Vancouver which is across the straight on the mainland. I'm sure you know this, I'm pointing it out for other readers who I know really care.
post #229 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018

Quote:
Exactly my point chef2sail. I wander slightly from 'sailing on the Chesapeake' to 'sailing on the West Coast' and you complain...but you don't mind telling others about your exciting working indoors and having a nap.
As I stated, I will refrain from posting about our pleasant day sails.
Aa3jy. That must have been a great bike trip, I hope that the weather was okay as it can be shaky in the north. I am not being critical but Victoria is a main city as you know, but we live on Vancouver Island which should not be confused with the large port of Vancouver which is across the straight on the mainland. I'm sure you know this, I'm pointing it out for other readers who I know really care.
For some reason Victoria Island was confused with the proper name of Vancouver which by-the-way took me a better part of a day to ride to include visiting the world renown Butchart Gardens..

Clay AA3JY
BMW R1200GS/A
post #230 of 1159 Old 03-17-2018 Thread Starter

Easy does it Paul. Wasn’t Criticizing you. I don’t care where you post.

I was fortunate enough last year to charter for my first time in the San Juan’s. Gorgeous area. That’s how i knew where Gabriola Island and Naminio was. We never made it that far. We anchored/ marina in Deer HArbor, East Sound, Doe Bay and Mud HArbor.

So different fro Chessie or Eas Coast Sailing with the gigantic currents and tidal changes. Here to find that kind of deep water you have to go out in the Atlantic.

Beautiful place to sail

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in