2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 27 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 1159 Old 03-31-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
I am just fed up with the weather.
T37Chef, chef2sail and oldlaxer1 like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 1159 Old 03-31-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I am just fed up with the weather.
It's put me way behind in getting the boat ready. At least you've gotten out sailing.
post #263 of 1159 Old 03-31-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Was truly the first nice day on a weekend.

Finished cleaning up Haleakula and got her out of the slip for her first shakedown. Main went up with very little cranking thanks to the new mast collar block.

Finally pulled the trigger on a new 135 headsail. I really wanted the triradial, but my practicality finally got the best of me. It wasn’t really worth $1500 more

Only damper is that I spent Wednesday in the hospital having 4 shots into my spine to help with a chronic bad back from standing over a kitchen table 20 years as a chef, and the extra weight I carry. While I’ve lost about 40 lbs the last year and a half, the damage is done. Hopefully this will help but looking at the MRI the prognosis is probably an operation in my future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #264 of 1159 Old 03-31-2018

Good luck with the back issues.

I went to the boat for the first time in 3 weeks today and got a couple hours of work in. I did a temporary repair to the damaged locking hasp on my companionway hatch. I applied 14 psi to my cooling system and will see how it holds up for a few days. I shot some PB Blaster on my keel nuts in preparation for re-torquing them in a couple days. And I replaced the pencil zinc in my HX. My contorted position getting to it is bound to create my own back issues. ;-(

At some point I'll start wet sanding the hull in preparation for a fresh coat of bottom paint. Prior to that, I'll sand prop and shaft, apply shaft zinc, and spray some leftover Barnacle Barrier on the sanded surfaces.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #265 of 1159 Old 04-01-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Was truly the first nice day on a weekend.

Finished cleaning up Haleakula and got her out of the slip for her first shakedown. Main went up with very little cranking thanks to the new mast collar block.

Finally pulled the trigger on a new 135 headsail. I really wanted the triradial, but my practicality finally got the best of me. It wasn’t really worth $1500 more

Only damper is that I spent Wednesday in the hospital having 4 shots into my spine to help with a chronic bad back from standing over a kitchen table 20 years as a chef, and the extra weight I carry. While I’ve lost about 40 lbs the last year and a half, the damage is done. Hopefully this will help but looking at the MRI the prognosis is probably an operation in my future.
Congratulations on losing 40 lbs! I hope the shots in your back work well. My family is working on doing the same thing, both weight wise and shots.

I spent yesterday twisted in weird positions on Dream Weaver (Windrose 22), running wiring for the boat. Two points of good news: 100% of the old wiring is out of the boat, and about 90% of the new wiring is run! My shoulder had to recuperate last night from running wires - it was pissed.

I also cut into a panel to install a couple charging ports and a voltmeter, and it actually looks good! I'm going to turn a heater on in the boat and hopefully run connections to it today. It's finally starting to feel like an actual boat! Now to just get it on the water... and find some time in the schedule to do so. Sometimes working every other weekend really sucks.
post #266 of 1159 Old 04-01-2018

Saw this on the news this morning and almost threw up.

The photo was taken from the Fire Boat as the condos where I keep my boat went up in flames last night. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured and the boats were far enough away from the flames and heat that none of them were damaged. I drove up to the marina thinking the worst about my boat. It was just fine.

Sure got my attention, though,

Gary
fallard likes this.
post #267 of 1159 Old 04-01-2018
Administrator

This was a good boat weekend. Last weekend I took most of the teak off the boat in preparation for painting the deck and cabin.this weekend. I sanded the teak and sealed it with epoxy in preparation for varnish.

While the epoxy is curing, I was able to slip out for a lovely short sail, out into the Bay and then sailed through Annapolis Harbour, buzzed the tourists on the City dock. Took a long leg out into the Bay and back home.

There were a larger number of bulk carriers in the Anchorage which was a little surprising for this time of year.

But at least it felt like spring.

Jeff
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #268 of 1159 Old 04-01-2018

I went out to the boat yesterday. Stripped, cleaned and lubed winches. Bright work and some paint touch up yet to be done. Visited up with my live aboard buddies.

No problem, we're in soon. ******* weather will tell the story. They're predicting snow, in April? WTF?

This to shall pass...
post #269 of 1159 Old 04-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Stripped, cleaned and lubed winches.
Oh, the impact of a missing comma.

Trying to erase this vision from my head!
drew1711 and willyd like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #270 of 1159 Old 04-03-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Wow Gary, that's quite a photo. Glad to hear your boat is safe and I hope all the condo residents evac'd safely.

The weather man 'splained why all the crappy weather- There is a persistent high out in the Atlantic that has the jetstream pinned so that it still dips south of Maryland and channels the cold air and low pressure systems this direction. His word is that this is expected to continue until at least the middle of April.

Blech.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in