2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 29 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I really prefer my boat to be kept simple and uncluttered. I've learned that the larger you go, the more difficult it is, to keep things simple.

I'm on my third and largest boat and taming the mainsail on this boat is quite a task, especially when singlehanding in tight or windy places, so I've finally buckled and I'm going to give lazy jacks a try. I discovered the primary legs made of small wire with small Ronstan blocks, in a locker, left by the PO. I've bought the line that runs from the blocks, down to the boom and a friend is visiting on Sunday, who will go aloft to connect the primary legs to the mast. I've verified that all the necessary fittings are still on the boom.

I'm really hoping this is a "Wow, I should have done this sooner" kind of moment and not a "Why the hell did I do this?" kind of moment.

My friend has a sister ship with the Dutchman system, so we'll be able to compare two examples of the same boat with each type of capture system and determine if either one is superior. I plan on having a new mainsail made in a year or two and this will help me make an informed decision about which capture system to use.
My boat came with the Dutchman. I honestly didn't know much about it when I first got the boat. After a few adjustments I find it is a great system. I had to add zippers to the mainsail cover (my first sewing attempt that turned out pretty decent). Even when I had to drop the main in a semi emergency while heading downwind it pretty well captured it and kept it contained so I could focus on the a$$hole on the motoryacht that caused the problems in the first place. My buddy has lazy jacks on his Columbia 40 which has a huge main and I find they work really well too. A little more adjusting but once you get the routine it works well. Good luck.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018
bell ringer

Cold this morning here in Fernandina Beach right on the Florida/georgia border. It was only 59 degrees and isn't only to get into the 70s today. It's because you guys and your stupid snow and cold air that you let get away for your area.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #283 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Cold this morning here in Fernandina Beach right on the Florida/georgia border. It was only 59 degrees and isn't only to get into the 70s today. It's because you guys and your stupid snow and cold air that you let get away for your area.
No, blame Canada. They left the door open again, as usual. I swear, those guys are like a 5 year old that stands with the fridge door open, trying to decide what snack to eat. Take a picture, already!

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #284 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018

I learned, the hard way, a bit about using lazy jacks. I constructed and installed my own, and pretty much mimicked several of the boats that at my marina. The very first thing I learned when using them the first time was that I made a mistake when I attached the top lines to the mast. When you are single handed sailing which is the case for me most of the time, it is often difficult to keep the boat pointed directly into the wind with dropping the sails. If the lazy jacks are tight, there's a good chance that you will hang up the sail on the battens as it falls. Works much better when the jacks are a bit loose.

When I told a friend, and fellow sail netter, about this problem, he said you can easily solve this problem by attaching the top of the jack lines about halfway out the spreaders, thereby keeping a neat funnel that will not hang up when the sail is dropped, and it will not abraid the sail if left in place. When the weather improves, that will be the very first thing I fix after resealing the toe rails and stanchions. Then, the rub rail and some hatch seal work will have to be done before the old tub goes in the water. Sure wished I lived someplace warmer - this stuff would have been done back in December.

All the best,

Gary
oysterman23 likes this.
post #285 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018

Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04

Just launched last Friday and brought my Lippincott 30 to her marina in Galesville. Finally got to my toe rails after four years of owning the Shady Lady. After doing them with the Starbrite three step clean, brighten and stain system, I wish I did it sooner as they look great. Now that they look good, I need to paint the decks (have researched KiwiGrip on here and plan on using that). Just need the darn weather to cooperate!
Attached Thumbnails
Shady Lady 2018.jpg  
Donna_F, oldlaxer1, 4arch and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lippincott 30, S/V Shady Lady
Hailing from the West River, MD
post #286 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04 View Post
Just launched last Friday and brought my Lippincott 30 to her marina in Galesville. Finally got to my toe rails after four years of owning the Shady Lady. After doing them with the Starbrite three step clean, brighten and stain system, I wish I did it sooner as they look great. Now that they look good, I need to paint the decks (have researched KiwiGrip on here and plan on using that). Just need the darn weather to cooperate!
Looking good! Glad to see my old boat is in good hands!

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #287 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018

Quote:
Gorgeous boat.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #288 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018

Quote:
Very nice!

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #289 of 1159 Old 04-05-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Yes we all do. Spent a few years rafting up with that boat
And Bryan and Sharon
. Looks great
Maybe we will see you on the Bay sometime

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-05-2018 at 08:31 PM.
post #290 of 1159 Old 04-06-2018
美國佬

Now they're predicting snow even on Monday. The problem with the winter lasting so long is that it means that we have to spend that much more sailing time dodging motor-boaters, like these guys:

chef2sail, oldlaxer1 and Ajax_MD like this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in