SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/307074-2018-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

RickGUSVI 01-04-2018 05:14 PM

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

So much for moving south to Charleston to avoid the worst of the weather. I got out Wednesday morning before the storm hit, but Christine was knocking ice and snow off of our bimini yesterday and today. The water is still warm enough to run reverse cycle heat. The temperatures will be back to the 60s by Monday.

No ice in Charleston yet, Herrington Harbor North has been out breaking ice the last couple of days - the channel is frozen - Web Cam - Chesapeake Bay Marina Resorts - Dining - Lodging - Herrington Harbour

Cheers, RickG

T37Chef 01-04-2018 06:00 PM

Water level is the lowest I have seen in a long time, many boats with very firm dock lines. A lot of ice eaters are simply hanging above the water circulating air nicely. Just lovely out today.

Happy New Year

chef2sail 01-04-2018 06:19 PM

Heard marine police assisted a grounded sailboaton the South River by the Rte 2 Bridge

I like a good sailing challenge, but really🙏🙏🌪🙏🙏

oldlaxer1 01-04-2018 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 2051335810)
Water level is the lowest I have seen in a long time, many boats with very firm dock lines. A lot of ice eaters are simply hanging above the water circulating air nicely. Just lovely out today.

Happy New Year

Lowest I've ever seen it in the harbor. Pendragon is just out of view top right. Harmony is way out at the end in what used to be 13ft of water.

Ajax_MD 01-04-2018 08:26 PM

At least you have floating docks.

TakeFive 01-05-2018 01:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, 2.75' below MLLW at low tide in Annapolis today. When I have time I'll have to search the history logs to see the last time it was that low.

EDIT: ...and over 3.5' below MLLW in Baltimore!

jjsbiggs 01-05-2018 02:05 PM

I am planning to move to the Lancaster PA area and would like to get some information on sailing in the area and recommendations for moorings, slips or mast up storage on the Chesapeake Bay. Thanks for any help or info you can provide. Thanks

RVA Chuck 01-05-2018 02:40 PM

GREAT SERIES. I highly recommend the companion book, A Sea of Words. It explains every colloquial term, food, nautical lingo, Latin phrase, etc. that we 21st Century types might not be familiar with, and it includes maps.

oldlaxer1 01-05-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsbiggs (Post 2051336530)
I am planning to move to the Lancaster PA area and would like to get some information on sailing in the area and recommendations for moorings, slips or mast up storage on the Chesapeake Bay. Thanks for any help or info you can provide. Thanks

Welcome. Read through the 2017 Sailing season on the Chesapeake Thread for some great spots. Gary (Travlin-Easy) will probably be along shortly with some pretty good recommendations for the upper bay.

Ajax_MD 01-05-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsbiggs (Post 2051336530)

Sailing on the Chesapeake is terrible. In the winter, the bay is rock solid. In the summer, the biting flies are large enough to carry off small children. The heat is unbearable and the water is teeming with nettles so you can't dive in to cool off. The bay is so shallow that only shoal draft boats that can't get to windward can be used without constantly running aground.

Flee!