The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (05-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #432 of 1159 Old 05-20-2018
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

The marina is still working on the soft spot on our deck. It was supposed to be done this past Friday but because of the bad weather I'm not pushing them to get it finished. Yet. In any case John is working in Nevada for the next few weeks and on Thursday I'm heading to Bermuda to visit family so we have no sails planned.

I know the Chesapeake SNers will be on their best behaviour while Jeff is here by himself. I'll peek in occasionally in between Dark n Stormy rounds.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #433 of 1159 Old 05-20-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Glorious sailing day.

We sailed Haleakula up to our old sailing grounds on the Patapsco to have her yearly spa treatment. Scenery changed with the dismantling of the old Steel mill.

I participated in having her put in the slings and going through the whole process. Amazing to see 15,000 lbs pulled out of the water and the bottom revealed. Haleakula was botttom painted last yeR with Ultima 60. She came out clean. Minimal slime and ZERO barnacles. We decided to add another coat. The prop was amazing. First time I ever used Prop Speed. Expensive at $200. The blade came out as it was put in last yeR. ZERO growth and shining in the sun. I was incredulous as Iíd never had but minimal luck of one season with the Petit stuff. The application of it is very detailed and specific, and the results astounding.

She is being waxed either tomorrow or Tuesday weather permitting and Donna and I are putting a boot stripe on her if we can while she is out.

Where is this being done. Old Bay Marina, Old Rhode Bay. One of the SN keeps his boat there. Best price around in this working marina.

Hopefully picking her up Saturday AM.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #434 of 1159 Old 05-20-2018

Quick shakedown sail today before flying to Milwaukee for the week. Long list of stuff to fix. Water pump leaking like crazy, will replace crappy Sherwood with Oberdorfer. Lots of electronic gremlins - my Raymarine ST60 sounded a couple of low water alarms in my slip before leaving - it kept showing 3.5 ft (same as we saw in Bohemia River), then jumping back to 12 ft that we have in our slip. Wind transducer was 30 degrees out of alignment - that was easily fixed. (If you saw some guy driving around in circles, that was me.)

Most disburbingly, my autopilot remote control loses reception more than 4 ft from the tranmitter. It used to work all the way from the bow, and Iíd routinely use it at the mast to tweak the boatís direction when raising the mainsail. Canít do it any more. New batteries didnít fix it. Anyone have suggestions?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #435 of 1159 Old 05-21-2018
bell ringer

Sitting here in Portsmouth/Norfolk sightseeing and trying to decide where to go to next. Have almost 3 weeks till I'm scheduled to be in DC so if any of you locals have suggestions lets "hear" them.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #436 of 1159 Old 05-21-2018

If you are looking for waterfront towns try Yorktown,Onancock, and Tangier. Also maybe Fishing Bay in Deltaville.

Remote anchorage try Mobjack Bay orCorotoman River.

When you hit the lower Potomac there are plenty of great creeks for hanging out. Try a trip up to historic St Mary's City.

Hope this helps.
post #437 of 1159 Old 05-21-2018
bell ringer

Everything helps

Cape Charles looks interesting and there is what looks to be a decent anchorage outside. Yet thereís no active captain reviews for anchoring there. Anyone know of a reason?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #438 of 1159 Old 05-21-2018

I forgot Cape Charles. It's a good spot with some good restaurants and a beach. Most of the homes have nice flower gardens.

The anchorage outside is pretty unprotected and right in front of a noisy cement plant. It doesn't bother some folks but it drives me nuts. You might find a place to anchor inside the harbor but it would be pretty tight and the Coast Guard station is right there. The town marina is good with new floating docks. Then there's the Oyster Farm country club.

If you head that way,don t miss the concrete victory ships at Kiptopeke - a nice lunch stop.
post #439 of 1159 Old 05-21-2018

I went down to the boat Sunday morning to replace the house batteries. The old bank was 5 years old and hadnít been particularly babied. Picked up replacement wet cell golf cart batteries for $64 each during a one-day sale at Samís Club. Those prices took away any temptation to switch to a more exotic battery.

Iím seeing mixed forecasts for Memorial Day weekend but hoping we can get out for our first overnight.
post #440 of 1159 Old 05-21-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Sitting here in Portsmouth/Norfolk sightseeing and trying to decide where to go to next. Have almost 3 weeks till I'm scheduled to be in DC so if any of you locals have suggestions lets "hear" them.
Go up the James river and visit some of the plantations and Jamestown. The few people that you see will stare at you as if/because they've never seen a sailboat before. The really loud splashes you will hear are Atlantic sturgeon.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in