2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 46 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #451 of 1159 Old 05-22-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Wouldn't you want to be heading North in the summer, not into hot humid weather GStud?
chef2sail likes this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1159 Old 05-22-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
YEAH!~ Just got a phone call from the marina, and with luck, I'll be in the water tomorrow afternoon. Then, after about four to five days of putting things back together, I'm headed south for Saint Somewhere. Pack your bags, Donna.

Gary
I am packing my bags but I'm headed to Bermuda on Thursday. I'll have to miss what I'm sure would have been a life-changing sail with you.
CalebD and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #453 of 1159 Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
If your engine can use the Oberdorfer N202 or N202M7, then skip the Oberdorfer and go straight for this:
https://moyermarine.com/product/mmi-...p-csob_00_365/

Better in every way.
Wow, that looks like a great option that takes the Oberdorfer and improves most of the (very few) complaints. It looks like they've modified the flange to fit the newer motors that use a 2-screw mount without using the silly screw-on clips. Somehow my alerts for new Sailnet posts stopped working yesterday, so I didn't see your post until after I had already ordered. And interestingly, I've seen nothing about this pump on the C34 Association website. I may post something over there about this apparently new pump.

Here's the thing: I actually went ahead and ordered another Sherwood pump. It's complicated, but there are a few reasons why I became concerned about the Oberdorfer. One is that their N202M pump does not pump as much water as the Sherwood G908. For those who have older (lower horsepower 3-cylinder) Westerbekes, it seems to work fine, especially for those who upgraded their heat exchangers from 2" to 3" wide models, and/or those who sail on the west coast where the water is colder. I have the 4-cylinder 35 hp motor, and the Chesapeake gets to the high 80s in mid-summer. All this puts my boat too close to the limits of the Oberdorfer pump's capacity. There are a few cases of people who report steam coming out the exhaust with the larger motors and/or warmer waters. And this is something that can't be alleviated by just running at lower RPM, because that further lowers the pump's output. I called Depco yesterday for their advice, and they said based on customer complaints, they don't recommend the Oberdorfer for anything over 30 hp - basically for the same reasons I mention. Since they have no other pump to sell me, they had not incentive (aside from honesty) to turn me away.

FYI, the Moyer pump you linked seems to emulate the smaller Oberdorfer design, since they say it uses the same impeller.

Another issue is my belief that the inlet port on my pump is a 7/8" hose barb (not the stock 5/8" barb). The Ob pump has the two screw ports closer together than the Sherwood (since Ob is a smaller pump), requiring shortening the 5/8" barb to be able to rotate it on. A 7/8" barb is even bigger, and I'd likely have to grind off too much to grip the hose properly. All of these are things that I could work around, but it would cost me my entire Memorial Day weekend and maybe another weekend after that, as I am sure I would have to make multiple 100 mile trips to the boat. This same consideration precludes doing a rebuild - that will have to wait until after I get the new pump installed.

Bottom line: This time around I need a perfect drop-in fit, so I got the Sherwood. I'll consider other options later. It really bothers me to spend money on a pump that is considered total crap, but for my motor, sailing waters, and desire to get the boat running as quickly as possible, it's the only choice.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #454 of 1159 Old 05-23-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Rick, I totally understand your desire to slap on a new Sherwood and get sailing for the short term.
My engine is 26hp. All I can tell you, is that the MM501 pump I linked moves plenty of water for my engine even during peak summer temps. You're right to do your own research.

The spouse and I sailed to Annapolis and anchored to observe the Blue Angels practice their routine. Lots of thunder, fury and impressive aerobatics. The sail to Annapolis was smooth and pleasant despite a fitful rain spitting on us. At anchor, we enjoyed a cup of Maryland veg crab soup and sub sandwiches. A brief line of rain passed over us around noon.

Around 2pm, the sun came out and the wind died. The show was over to we sailed/motored home, racing a much stronger storm line. We secured the docklines at our slip just as the lightning fell in earnest. We holed up in the cabin, tidying up and doing dishes until the lightning subsided, then we walked the 5 minutes up the street to our house.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #455 of 1159 Old 05-23-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Rick, I totally understand your desire to slap on a new Sherwood and get sailing for the short term.
My engine is 26hp. All I can tell you, is that the MM501 pump I linked moves plenty of water for my engine even during peak summer temps. You're right to do your own research.

The spouse and I sailed to Annapolis and anchored to observe the Blue Angels practice their routine. Lots of thunder, fury and impressive aerobatics. The sail to Annapolis was smooth and pleasant despite a fitful rain spitting on us. At anchor, we enjoyed a cup of Maryland veg crab soup and sub sandwiches. A brief line of rain passed over us around noon.

Around 2pm, the sun came out and the wind died. The show was over to we sailed/motored home, racing a much stronger storm line. We secured the docklines at our slip just as the lightning fell in earnest. We holed up in the cabin, tidying up and doing dishes until the lightning subsided, then we walked the 5 minutes up the street to our house.

Here is a picture taken off our marinas docks

https://www.facebook.com/WhitehallMa...076451/?type=3

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #456 of 1159 Old 05-23-2018 Thread Starter

Looks like an ok weekend. Typical Maryland. Chance of storms. As long as no lightening we are out.
Course that all hinges on them dropping us back in. We had some good sails so far.
Haleakula is getting her spa treatment and should be back floating on Friday.

Plan is to raft up Saturday with our friend 4arch his wife and two little ones......somewhere. We were waylaid last Saturday by the deluge.

Tough news today as it looks like June 26 I will have microdiscectomy surgery on my spine. As Gary says...”it sucks getting old”.
Good news...I should feel like I’m 40 afterwards.....we will see

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #457 of 1159 Old 05-23-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

I'm almost done packing for Dream Weaver's first splash in the Chesapeake tomorrow!

The wind is going to be mostly from the North, but... are the Blue Angels practicing again tomorrow? If so, we may head South instead from Sandy Point and watch them. That'd be nice.

If not - we're probably going to head in the general direction of Rock Hall and maybe anchor for lunch near the Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge. I'm all ears for suggestions around there
post #458 of 1159 Old 05-24-2018 Thread Starter

Major waterway restrictions on Severn during Naval Academy graduation

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #459 of 1159 Old 05-24-2018

Geeze, Donna - I'm crushed. Have fun in Bermuda and hopefully, I'll see you and John later this summer. You, John and Gina are always welcome aboard Saturday's Child.

Shawn, I was thinking about heading north this year, but I have an invitation from my friend Michael (ferret chaser), a fellow sailnetter who I have not seen in a few years, so what the Hell, I'm gonna go to Hilton Head, SC first, then depending on my health, just might make that long trip north for a couple months. I told my wife that I was gonna do something, even if it's wrong. She laughed and said, Now that's a first - NOT!

I'll be doing a shakedown cruise beginning next week to see how I do single handed and tethered to an oxygen generator. Today, I installed the sails, cleaned the head, filled the water tank and flushed the water systems, then started doing a minor tuneup on the A4. Hope to finish the A4 tomorrow, and put the radar antenna post back in place as well, then, scrub the decks and cockpit. Should be ready to go after that.

I figure a week or two on the shakedown cruise will be enough to determine what I'm still physically able to do singlehanded.

All the best,

Gary
post #460 of 1159 Old 05-24-2018
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I am packing my bags but I'm headed to Bermuda on Thursday. I'll have to miss what I'm sure would have been a life-changing sail with you.
Enjoy some Black Seal rum and Bermuda fish chowder!

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in