2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 47 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #461 of 1159 Old 05-25-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Haleakula is back in the water. Bottom has another coat of Ultima 60 , Prop Speed , and has been compounded and waxed. All for about $1200.

Donna and I tried to put a tape bootstripe on here yesterday, but alas we failed. Could not follow the ever falling away bottom paint line without creasing it. We gave up after 4 hours and decided having someone paint it next time out is in the cards. Sucks as we have done similar stuff before and have the correct technique but it is what it is.

Tomorrow we are rafting up with 4arch , and the crew of 3 women though two are 4 or younger. Will be good to see them. For those of you who are relatively new here. We met them it seems 10 years ago from Sailnet.

The weather looks like it is going to be pretty unsettled with little wind unless you are night sailing. But a day out on the boat is worth it. Three days out....well thatís a slice of heaven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 1159 Old 05-25-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Sailing yesterday was very nice! We got in the water by 1100ish - winds were very light and relatively variable. We had just enough to test things out and make sure everything works. So far - major success!

We made it most of the way to Love Point, then motored the whole way back. I snapped a couple pics once the water turned almost glassy. I didn't know the bay could get so calm! I can't wait to get on the water again. I'll have to watch the forecast and plan some more time.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #463 of 1159 Old 05-25-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Sailing yesterday was very nice! We got in the water by 1100ish - winds were very light and relatively variable. We had just enough to test things out and make sure everything works. So far - major success!

We made it most of the way to Love Point, then motored the whole way back. I snapped a couple pics once the water turned almost glassy. I didn't know the bay could get so calm! I can't wait to get on the water again. I'll have to watch the forecast and plan some more time.
Sounds like success and fun. All your hard work paid off.
There will be many more great times....and learning experiences
Hope to see you out there. Iíll keep an eye out since we are close by

Dave
Rezz likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #464 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018

Just finished doing all the last minute things on the boat, probably head out next Wednesday if the weather cooperates.
Today, I installed the bimini, then checked the engine, put up the radar antenna, checked out the AIS system, rinsed some of the crud off the deck, and when the temperature hit 92 degrees at the marina, I gave up - too hot for an old codger with nasty lungs. My PO2 dropped down to 87 percent, so I ducked into the cabin which I had cooled down to 70 with the AC, used my rescue inhaler and was able to get my O2 level back to 93 percent, which is livable. If you get down to 86 you will likely pass out.

Next week, I intend to stock up with groceries and head out for Saint Somewhere.

All the best,

Gary
post #465 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018

The plan: Wake up at 7, head to the boat at 8, arrive 10, pop in my new water pump, leave the slip at 11 for a nice long day sail with our new puppy (his first sail).

The reality: Puppy wakes us up at 5 and wants to play. We go back to bed a 6:30 exhausted, sleep to 8:30. I discover a major problem with our brokerage account that takes 90 minutes to resolve, need to pack the car up and get all the puppy stuff, leave the house at 11. Stop for lunch on the way, but the place is mobbed with long lines. Arrive at the boat at 2, unload all the gear. New raw water pump install takes 2.5 hours, and still leaks (but much less than before). We leave the slip at about 5. Gremlins still inhabit our instruments, and depth alarm randomly goes to 3.5 feet (including waterline offset) every time we tack. It's late already and we didn't want to push it too long with the dog, so we're back at the slip by 7. It was a nice easy daysail, using only the Genoa because we didn't want to leave the cockpit with the dog on the boat for the first time. The puppy loved it, which is what mattered most.

I seem to recall someone here posting a reference for somebody who specialized in diagnosing and repairing Raymarine control heads. If you remember who this was, please forward info. I'm really hoping that it's the control head and not the transducer, since the latter would require a haulout to fix. And it's all obsolete equipment, and I'd prefer not to have to upgrade everything.
Attached Thumbnails
A201ADF6-D082-4042-A7D5-930855447B48.jpeg   IMG_1411.JPG  
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-26-2018 at 01:09 AM.
post #466 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018

Where are all the boats? Itís a beautiful morning, nice wind. Iím sailing south out of the north east river and other than a couple fishing guys there is not a boat in sight.
Itís almost seems apocalyptic to have the whole place to myself.
If the volcano blew or North Korea went nuts please donít tell me till Tuesday
post #467 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018 Thread Starter

Iím out sailing off the Patapsco headed on a long tack over to Tolchester. Wind is a steady 10 and Haleakula with its bottom as smooth as a baby humming along at 5+

Very few boats out still. Today is perfect temp and wind on the water. Donna has been at the helm all day.

Thinking and planning out vacation starting around the 16 for 9 days. I donít want to push it to hard because of my back with I have surgery the 26 right after our return, but we do want to go somewhere. Dinghy still has to be put on too for us to be good to go.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #468 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018

Dennis, there were only two boats sailing in front of Havre de Grace yesterday. Beautiful weather, great wind, just no activity. Lots of debris coming down the Susquehanna River now, so be very careful out there. Lots of huge logs that could really do some damage.

All the best,

Gary
post #469 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Where are all the boats? Itís a beautiful morning, nice wind. Iím sailing south out of the north east river and other than a couple fishing guys there is not a boat in sight.
Itís almost seems apocalyptic to have the whole place to myself.
If the volcano blew or North Korea went nuts please donít tell me till Tuesday
80% chance of heavy rain this afternoon with frequent lightning is the forecast.
post #470 of 1159 Old 05-26-2018
bell ringer

I was going to move on from Yorktown this morning. But the wind acturally seemed too light to sail and I'm tired of motoring around. I saw a couple boats go down the river earlier, I think mostly making way on the current.

But now it's noon and I have the very strong feeling a front is going to be here in the next couple of hours.

So I'm just staying where I am because one windy anchorage is just like another to me.

But you dirt dwellers who have been waiting I would think are tougher. At least I know I was at the start of each season when I dirt lived in New england :-)

But if someone wants to sail over to Yorktown and join me at the anchorage we can drink a beer together.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in