SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

127K views 1K replies 57 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
To all a happy and safe New Year from Haleakula
Here’s to a great sailing season on the Chessie
Mods please make this a sticky. Thanks

#192 ·
Got word that boat is at least upright now. Will visit it again Saturday and check out what happened inside cabin. Insurance surveys are in progress.
Ugh, I didn't realize that your pictures were of your boat. I hate to see that happen to anyone, but especially when it's someone here. Best of luck getting it all sorted out!

Reactions: AJC506
#200 ·
I'm heading North and am in Palm Beach and it was 47 this morning. You guys told me it would be warming up by now!!!!!!

#202 ·
Plan is to go and take the winter covers off Haleakula Saturday. Sunday put the newly washed main on $128 by Quantum. Rig the new blocks to the traveler and mast collar.do so cleaning.

Pretend it’s warm😄

#204 ·
About 15 degrees C yesterday, maybe 8 knots of wind. We had a nice 2 hour sail around Nanaimo Harbour and out to a couple of the 5 anchored freighters outside the harbour, they park on our side of the straight until they are called into the Port of Vancouver. There were a few seals, lots of sea birds, several fishermen, some power boaters, and half a dozen other sailors. The boat really likes to get out in the off season...as do we. Today we are in rain again.

#205 ·
Near as I can ell you guys are trying to trick me into having to put long pants on by coming north. Can’t trust my internet fake friends anymore 😯

#210 ·
You guys chose to up there o stop whining. Meanwhile it’s gog y be 41 degrees tomorrow morning in Vero Beach Fl. That’s just bull Crap!

#211 ·
You guys chose to up there o stop whining. Meanwhile it's gog y be 41 degrees tomorrow morning in Vero Beach Fl. That's just bull Crap!
I am surprised to hear that it's so cool, so far south. There is no forecast change in the current pattern. We will remain at low 30's and mid 40's as far out as Saturday, March 24th. The Chesapeake region has not reached average March temperatures one single day so far.

#214 ·
What do you think... 5 years on wet cell L16 batteries... it seems thats about the life and I admit, I didn't take the best care of them. I didn't equalize monthly and fried on of the terminals a few years ago (don't do boat work with a buzz except maybe sanding lol).

So hopefully tomorrow I'll be changing out all my batteries for new. Going with two L16 Deka Lead Acid on bank one and two Trojan T105 for bank two, eliminating a dedicated "start" battery. I carry a jump start battery pack for back up but found never using the group 27 12V sealed liquid acid start battery caused it to fail early.

So if all goes as planned, new batteries installed tomorrow or Saturday morning then the first sail of the 2018 season. The last attempt was interrupted by several days of Gale force winds and freezing temps... this weekend looks a lot better.

#215 ·
What do you think... 5 years on wet cell L16 batteries... it seems thats about the life and I admit, I didn't take the best care of them. I didn't equalize monthly and fried on of the terminals a few years ago (don't do boat work with a buzz except maybe sanding lol).

So hopefully tomorrow I'll be changing out all my batteries for new. Going with two L16 Deka Lead Acid on bank one and two Trojan T105 for bank two, eliminating a dedicated "start" battery. I carry a jump start battery pack for back up but found never using the group 27 12V sealed liquid acid start battery caused it to fail early.

So if all goes as planned, new batteries installed tomorrow or Saturday morning then the first sail of the 2018 season. The last attempt was interrupted by several days of Gale force winds and freezing temps... this weekend looks a lot better.
There's no way that one of those jump packs would crank my diesel, or even provide enough of an assist. I'm not dissing your plan though.
I'm keeping a dedicated start battery of flooded lead-acid, and replacing my house battery with a Firefly AGM, and hopefully adding another Firefly later in the year for a total of 230 actual, usable amp-hours. Even one of those batteries will be a huge improvement for me.

#217 ·
The Firefly batteries are actually not new technology. They've been around for about 10 years and there are several articles and tests out there in Practical Sailor and elsewhere. I've also talked to a few sailors who own them and state that they do live up to the hype. In fact, I think Maine Sail speaks well of them. Here's a testimonial from Nigel Calder:
https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/86/old/firefly-testimonial-nigel.pdf
https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-cont...efly-testimonial-nigel-post-winter-update.pdf

I think the reason for lack of exposure and wide spread adoption, is the cost: $486 each.

It'll take me 2 batteries to get 230 amp hours. One Firefly is 116 amp hours, and it is mostly usable, for 1000 cycles. For me, the big draw is that they shrug off living at PSOC, which is perfect for sailboat living.

While I have one Firefly, I'm going to keep my 50 amp OEM alternator. I might investigate a more powerful alternator if I upgrade to two Fireflies. I am going to add a 50w solar panel to take me up to an even 200 watts of solar production.

I think these batteries occupy the perfect compromise spot between old style, flooded lead and complex lithium technology.

#218 ·
Quite good

I remember when they first appeared at a boat show about 10 years ago. Don't remember which one that was. I was intrigued.

What interested to me was the claim that you can take them down to 20% . That would be a huge advantage. Although I don't want them to get programmed to getting only recharged to 85% of capacity.

For Haleakula I look at these factors.
- Cost per year. Taking the total price divided by the actual lifetime in years .Many make an argument for
Cheapie wet cells, but when you figure most people replace their wet cells 2 to three times in the
10 years my Lifelines last well you can't argue with math
- Maintainence- AGM have very little besides making sure connections are kept clean and for Lifelines.
Equalizing them once a month for 3 hours or so. Wet cells should be done for sure also or they
will suffocate With sulfation. No worrying about filling with water with AGM also
- Space- utilizes our battery compartment to the max as they can be laid on end or side by side. Without
This there would only be room for 4 - 6 volters.

You seem to have a good plan and are on top of it. That's why I am interested in your results. Having the solar capacity is great to keep them topped off. Trying to live " off the grid" requires good planning.

Good luck with them???

#220 ·
These batteries don't seem fallible to "memory." My only concern is ensuring that my solar array controller is properly configured for AGM vs. wet lead. I'm buying the battery from the same place (locally) that I bought the solar panel, so they'll be able to guide me.

On an unrelated note, West Marine is having a big sale this weekend, so I bought a new furler line for the jib furler. That was the last of the running rigging left from the PO. Everything is one year old, or newer. Next year, I'll try to replace all of the standing rigging.

This has got to be the last boat. I just can't see starting from scratch on another, larger boat, getting it into fighting trim even when the bones are good. I know it's normal to go through a few iterations until you find your true love, but I think I have arrived.

#224 ·
Naaa your not ruffling my feathers..that why I added the
at the end..cause I've been by it on my Alaska motorcycle trip via Victoria Island from getting off the BC Ferry at Port Hardy riding down to Victoria picking up the Black Ball Ferry and back over to Port Angeles in Washington State..so I'm somewhat familiar with your area..

#227 ·
Down at Haleakula today. Pretty bitter to be working outside as it’s clouding up and tem is 44.
Plan was to take off winter cover this weekend, but in light of Tuesday’s/ Wednesday’s weather
Will wait till next weekend to unfurl Donna’s new bimini.

Today doing indoor projects and staying overnight for the first time this seaSon. Plenty to do. And
time to nap too😀😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

#228 ·
Exactly my point chef2sail. I wander slightly from 'sailing on the Chesapeake' to 'sailing on the West Coast' and you complain...but you don't mind telling others about your exciting working indoors and having a nap.
As I stated, I will refrain from posting about our pleasant day sails.
Aa3jy. That must have been a great bike trip, I hope that the weather was okay as it can be shaky in the north. I am not being critical but Victoria is a main city as you know, but we live on Vancouver Island which should not be confused with the large port of Vancouver which is across the straight on the mainland. I'm sure you know this, I'm pointing it out for other readers who I know really care.

#230 ·
Easy does it Paul. Wasn’t Criticizing you. I don’t care where you post.

I was fortunate enough last year to charter for my first time in the San Juan’s. Gorgeous area. That’s how i knew where Gabriola Island and Naminio was. We never made it that far. We anchored/ marina in Deer HArbor, East Sound, Doe Bay and Mud HArbor.

So different fro Chessie or Eas Coast Sailing with the gigantic currents and tidal changes. Here to find that kind of deep water you have to go out in the Atlantic.

Beautiful place to sail

#233 ·
Not sure why you're so huffy with your "I won't tell you..." snipes. I'd love to hear what you say, but there are about 50 other forums and sub-forums to choose from. This one is focused on Chesapeake area.

IMO, posts about how Chesapeake area weather is affecting our ability to do spring projects are perfectly on topic. Given local sailors' frustration with recent weather, you can expect some pushback when you brag here about your 13 degree weather in another part of the world.

#232 ·
The tarp came off yesterday, and some minor fiberglass repair work this morning and prep for bottom paint.

I was hoping for spring break from teaching to give me a full week for boat work but that did not happen low to mid to high 40's this week, below freezing overnight, with rain, wet snow and flurries.

I have kept a fan running all winter resulting in almost no mold.

If we get a warm-up for a few days with overnights above freezing I should be ready for splash in the first 2 weeks of April, but a Noreaster coming next week, so maybe splash before the end of April.

#235 ·
Beautiful day

We did get the winter canvas off and the bimini and dodger are on. Redid the mast collar blocks leading the main halyard, hub halyard and spinnaker halyard back to the cockpit. Also converted the traveler from a 4:1 to 6:1 adding a double and triple block for a single and a double. Plus used Lewmar 60 Syncro which are a step up from the 30 year old original Schaefer equipment.

Our main was washed by Quantum ($128) and looks great.

Who knows maybe next weekend could be out first day out.

#236 ·
My boat was never equipped with any kind of audible warning for low oil pressure or over temp, so I found a nice, combination light and buzzer to tie into my oil pressure circuit.
the light is the size diameter of a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, so it'll be very obvious.

I was going to install it and go sailing yesterday, but I had to assist the tree removal crew in taking down a tree that would interfere with my solar power production. I missed the sailing, but at least I was working outside in the sunshine and a tiny bit of warmth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.