2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 51 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #501 of 1159 Old 06-02-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
So Cobb Island on the Potomac is a good cruiser stop. Lots of places to anchor for protection depending on wind. Restaurant and bars vary fro cheap local dive joints to nicer over priced stuff. A grocery store that all the backs p,us and would rate as the #4-5 largest in the Bahamas 🙂 goodconversion at the dive bar about making raccoon hats while banjos play in the background.

Highly recommended to my fellow low life’s.
That’s 30 miles up the Potomac . Well off the beaten path for most Chesapeake Bay sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 1159 Old 06-02-2018

Across the river on the VA side is Colonial Beach. Sort of a retro 1950s beach town. Easy town to walk around.
post #503 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That’s 30 miles up the Potomac . Well off the beaten path for most Chesapeake Bay sailors.
Is there a difference between Chesapeake Bay sailors and Potomac river sailors?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #504 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a difference between Chesapeake Bay sailors and Potomac river sailors?
Not sure .

We have visited Cobb Island on our way up the Potomac to DC a while ago. We stayed in a very cheap marina . I remember the people were really friendly.

We motored for over 7 hours that day as the current was mostly against us. It was 30 miles from the mouth of the Chesapeake where the Bay is.

Assuming you kept a sailboat there I would say most of your sailing would not be on the Bay. Therefore while the Potomac May be an estuary of the Bay I would say no to your question. It really isn’t an important distinction though.

For those visiting DC on a cruise it’s a long three day 90 Mile ride sharing a narrow channel with tankers and military boats . Current runs anywhere from 1-2.5 knots. You really can’t sail much in Cobb Islands area as Kettle Shoals have lots of big boulders. For that matter keel boats usually don’t sail above St Clements Island.

Much different answer if you were a power boater or kept a boat in the St Mary’s , Coan Rivers.

Most of us Chesapeake sailors know the Potomac also has a “life” of its own and its own sailing weather. Some of my roughest experiences have been crossing the Potomac . It rivals Delaware Bay.

Steep short interval waves created by shallow bottom, wind against current make for a teeth rattling ride over 5 hours transiting north to south.

I have waited a few days for it to subside there on NEsterns .

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-03-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #505 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018 Thread Starter

Certainly for posting purposes the Chesapeake Bay is the best place to post though.

If I had a PB or a swift trawler or even had mucho time and. If I could afford over a week to explore on the way to DC it is an interesting trip.

Nice gunkholing in creeks and rivers along the trip up the Potomac. People are friendly till you get near DC.

The Potomac near DC is a heavily militarized zone though. Expect a possible boarding

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #506 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018
bell ringer

At the moment it’s nasty here on anchor 😡

post #507 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
At the moment it’s nasty here on anchor 😡
I'll bet all the rain upstream has made for an interesting river.
post #508 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018 Thread Starter

Yeh it’s miserable out good one day northeaster.
You are fairly exposed though no big fetch. Wiacomico is too shallow to go up very far. We usually have tucked up creeks as the bluffs and trees serve as wind breaks in that area. Breton Bay and St Clements Bay close by are fairly sheltered .

Our favorite is St Mary’s River. Go up Carthagena Creek beautiful with bald eagles all around. If you go up past Dennis Pt Marina there is an old wooden restored Chesapeake ship which is beautiful. If you have the time stop up there. We dinghied into the marina which is a campground. Very nice people there. Some good sized sailboats call it home.

On St Mary’s River is St Mary’s College a nationwide known sailing team who had provided a few Olympic Sailors. One of our friends daughters went there. Town doesn’t have much but a nice museum. Across the St Mary’s River from Carthagena Creek is a suspicious looking camp. It’s a training site for the Navy Seals./ CIA If you are lucky you can catch a practice watching them jump out of helicopters though the patrols will keep you far away.

That whole peninsula is very famous in both Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Fledgling navy holed up there avoiding the British. If you have time it’s a great place to explore. Hopefully you read Michners Chesapeake before you came as it gives a surprisingly good overview.

I’m down at Haleakula. Tide is up 3 ft. Northeast wind blowing water into the Bay not letting it out plus all this f...ing rain. Winds at 30 at Pt Lookout gusting to 40 . Tomorrow starts to settle down and we might get back into a normal spring pattern.

Hope so as vacation starts in less than two weeks.
Not sure how far we will go as I have back surgery scheduled 2 days after returning. My wife says we should be conservative about how far we go.

Today is a good day to catch up on internal boat projects. And if no leaks with all this rain.

Stay safe and warm. Is a bit cool today
I’m down at the boat

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #509 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
I'll have to put that place on my list. Sounds tasty! And... it's not too terribly far from my area. Do they have a place to tie up while you eat?
I haven't checked on any spots, but they do take transients at HHS. I would give them a call.

Cheers, RickG

RickG & Sweet Christine
S/V Echoes - 2003 Beneteau 423
Deale, MD
post #510 of 1159 Old 06-03-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
I'll bet all the rain upstream has made for an interesting river.
Since I'm deep draft I'm almost always more exposed than most. The rain isn't doing anything to me other than making it wet. But I had to guess on whether it would become a NW or a NE wind here last night. I guessed wrong so the fetch is bouncing me around, but not enough that we are pulling up a perfectly well set anchor to move across the cove just to have the wind shift the other way later.

We have been anchored in a LOT worst conditions and know what to do; let out a lot morre chain and let the snubber out more. I think I still have another 30' before I start becoming a crabber and pick up crab pots.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in