2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 58 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #571 of 1159 Old 06-15-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Came down and loaded up Haleakula for our 10 day vacation. Replotted everything as Dr requested I stay relatively close to home.

Today we will take advantage of a N-NW wind and sail down to the Choptank. Sawmill Cove on LaTrappe Creek is the stretch destination.Short 37 Mile jaunt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1159 Old 06-15-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

My first set of vacation days are July 4th - July 15th.
Later than I'd normally like. I'm going to end up packing the Cruise-Air in case we need a night of respite from the heat.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #573 of 1159 Old 06-15-2018

Earlier this week I went up the Severn River past the Naval Academy and anchored in Chase Creek for the night, this was my first trip beyond the Academy and it was a pleasant surprise. Usually I stop in Annapolis a few times each summer and stay on the moorings in town.
Someone mentioned Navy mooring balls that can be used when vacant - would that be on Weems Creek?
Any suggestions for other anchorages up there will be appreciated. I miss having Active Captain on board and have not yet checked out the Waterway guides.

post #574 of 1159 Old 06-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Earlier this week I went up the Severn River past the Naval Academy and anchored in Chase Creek for the night, this was my first trip beyond the Academy and it was a pleasant surprise. Usually I stop in Annapolis a few times each summer and stay on the moorings in town.
Someone mentioned Navy mooring balls that can be used when vacant - would that be on Weems Creek?
Any suggestions for other anchorages up there will be appreciated. I miss having Active Captain on board and have not yet checked out the Waterway guides.
We frequent the Severn in fall and spring before it gets crowded so we found some neat spots.
Chase chop full of private mooring
Weems has free Navy mornings but noisy as close to 50 and 450
Clements which also has free mooring or a lot of room to anchor

Go further though to Round Bay
Maynadenier Creek or our favorite Hopkins Creek if you dare

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #575 of 1159 Old 06-15-2018 Thread Starter

Called an audible since it was so nice out and good sail we went past the Choptank and are almost to Solomon’s
Gotta get a Kim’s Key Lime Pie. Best I’ve tasted north of Marathon Key

Benign winds for next 6 days. Tomorrow we had to Deltaville and stay put in a marina as it’s supposed to be mid 90 s Monday and Tuesday. Air conditioning is my friend

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #576 of 1159 Old 06-16-2018 Thread Starter

Spent a quiet night on Mill Creek, Solomon’s . When we retire we are probably going to keep our boat down here. Really opens up the access to the southern Chesapeake. Dinner was fresh swordfish.

Right now we are sailing south approaching Point Lookout on the Potomac. Depending on wind we may make it to the Rappahanock/ Piankatank entrance. If not we’ll either stay in Prentice Creek ( Dividing Creek ) or Mill Creek. Sun, Monday and Tuesday we are beating the heat and staying at Doziers in Deltaville. To old for these mid 90 days and 80s at night. I also have to find a place that has steamed crabs for Donna. I am spoiled working in a restaurant where crabmeat comes picked for you by the pound. I know it’s part of the Chesapeake social scene and tradition, but cut fingers and and Old Bay mustache and filled nostrils is not my preferred way.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #577 of 1159 Old 06-16-2018

I haven't had much luck finding a good restaurant in Deltaville. If you care to make the trip up to Urbanna you can get fresh steamed crabs at Waltons Seafood. They have a restaurant on the water. You may be able to sail to their dock, or at least dinghy in. Check their website.
post #578 of 1159 Old 06-16-2018

Dave, I purchased that Honda 2200i generator for a reason - now I can anchor out in air conditioned comfort. And, the 2200i is really quiet. I seriously doubt that anyone farther than 50 feet away could hear it at all - it's that quiet! With my current pulmonary problems, it would be virtually impossible for me to tolerate those kind of temperature/humidity conditions.

Have a fun trip,

Gary
post #579 of 1159 Old 06-16-2018

Went to the boat today to install a new, electronic bilge pump switch. The mechanical ones only seem to last about a year or two at best for me. Figured I could do the job in about 20 minutes - WRONG!

The brand name was Whale, cost about $59 plus shipping, and installation looked fairly easy. That was until I discovered the labels on the ends of the wires were backward, thus after installation I had to do some more work to get the wiring correct. Works like a charm, now.

Today, the weather, though about normal for this time of year at 83 degrees f and 80 percent humidity, also included a code orange air pollution alert. Most folks with good lungs can tolerate these conditions, but old farts with bad lungs cannot. Rough day for me, even though I was able to keep the cabin temp at 72 degrees while working on the switch installation. The walk back to the van was a real struggle. Just about 150 yards or so, but a real struggle until I got back on the portable oxygen generator. I shoulda took it with me to the boat, but figured I could get away with not using it for a short time - WRONG!

The weather is gonna be nasty until about next Thursday, which is when I'll head out for about a week or so. With luck, I'll have my sailing partner with me again. She's a good person to have on the boat and learns fairly quickly.

Who knows, maybe I'll meet up with Dave on his return leg up the bay,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
20180606_155928.jpg  
post #580 of 1159 Old 06-16-2018 Thread Starter

Today was a perfect day . Crossed the Potomac, ocean breeze then kicked in and we sailed down the northern neck and wound up anchored in a new lace for us. Dymer Creek. All I can say is spectacular . Eagles , hawks, nice cool evening.

Someone had a wedding on a house lawn on the water.

We’ll be back here for sure
PalmettoSailor likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in