2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 60 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #591 of 1159 Old 06-18-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

If you spend $39 at Walmart you can purchase a replacement gazebo screen enclosure, which does a fantastic job of keeping the bugs out of the boat. It drapes over the bimini and hangs down to the gunwales, thus providing you with a great, bug free, environment, yet it does not block the air and trap heat. I have only used mine a few times, but it sure kept the greenies and black flies out of the cockpit and from gnawing the flesh from my hide down to the bone.

Good luck,

Gary
gstraub and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 1159 Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

You can purchase good netting from sailrite. My wife made us screens which attach to the Bimini and dodger which zip in and also have a UV eating which allows them to screen tgecsun out of the cockpit , esp r ci a lot in the am as well as sunsetting dinners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #593 of 1159 Old 06-19-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

I think I forgot my decoder ring for some of your post, chef2sail, but I got most of it. I'm actually going to be looking for some screen material soon to make some covers for the hatch in the v berth, and maybe something over the companionway as well. I'll have to look at what SailRite offers.

post #594 of 1159 Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
I think I forgot my decoder ring for some of your post, chef2sail, but I got most of it. I'm actually going to be looking for some screen material soon to make some covers for the hatch in the v berth, and maybe something over the companionway as well. I'll have to look at what SailRite offers.
Damn...sorry...
ANYWAY ,,,,no one can hack me.?.everyone would know if my stuff was perfectly spelled it was an imposter🤘🌪
Rezz likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #595 of 1159 Old 06-19-2018

Last weekend was another non-sailing weekend because my son had just returned from 6 months of college in Europe. I ended up making two trips to Rock Hall for repairs and other chores in preparation for the short cruise we hope to do the week before July 4. Unfortunately, work keeps chipping away at our available time for that.

Whatever jinx I had against me the last few weeks seemed to have gone into remission. Everything that was broken has suddenly started working again:

My rebuilt pump arrived from Depco last week, so I popped that on the motor and it tested out perfectly. I was so confident that I rebuilt the aft berth cabinetry that encloses the motor.

My Raymarine depth sounder suddenly decided to start working again. Last week I had brushed it off from my dinghy which gave enough signal for the control head to realize that there was something there, but it still continuously showed the "Last" error message with an impossible 22.5' reading. But this weekend it started working almost perfectly. I left it on all day and it tracked through the high tide and low tide cycle. The "Last" message flashed for about 10 seconds at one point, but otherwise it seemed perfect. I still suspect that there was poorly adhered bottom paint or other contamination on the transducer that was loosened by my brushing and hopefully fell off during the week that I was away.

I re-tested the FishTrax portable fishfinder that I bought. It works perfectly through the hull in the aft berth, and can mount in the cockpit with my Gorillapod. I adjusted the keel offset, and it agreed perfectly with the Raymarine sounder without the two interfering with each other. I have no regrets about spending the money for a backup, since nothing can ruin your day like being afraid to go into an anchorage because of a flaky depth finder.

My chartplotter tablets that had lost Bluetooth communications last week also were repaired. The Windows 10 tablet suddenly started working, and the Windows 8 tablet was wiped clean and reset to original image, and recognized the GPS and AIS transmitters perfectly.

I also installed the Navisafe bow light mount on my new dinghy. The stern light (with 4' mounting pole) will have to wait until I have the motor on the transom, since I want to place it to minimize interference with the tiller.

Since the boat has not left the slip for 3 weeks, there is some slime building up on the bottom. Our first destination when we leave in 1 1/2 weeks will have to be a nettle-free anchorage so I can jump in and brush down the bottom (assuming no drenching rains raise the bacteria counts too much). I'd appreciate your reports on what areas have/have not become infested with sea nettles.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #596 of 1159 Old 06-20-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I cleaned my hull in the Rhode River on Monday. Not a nettle in sight but I don't expect that to last much longer. You'd better hurry or purchase a rash guard suit.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #597 of 1159 Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter

Entering Cartgenea Creek on the St Mary’s River off the Potomac. Made great time from Deltaville

Saw a huge fleet of fishing boats for Menheyden off of Reedville. Talked to a few of the mates in the net boats as we went by, more to come

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #598 of 1159 Old 06-20-2018

You probably didn't notice, but there is usually one or more spotter planes above looking for the menhaden schools and directing the boats on where to set the nets.

Be safe out there, lots of storms headed our way during the next three days.

Gary
post #599 of 1159 Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
You probably didn't notice, but there is usually one or more spotter planes above looking for the menhaden schools and directing the boats on where to set the nets.

Be safe out there, lots of storms headed our way during the next three days.

Gary
There was a plane, but they were also using drones on each of the ships

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #600 of 1159 Old 06-20-2018

Good ole modern technology - never thought I would see the day they used drones, but nothing should surprise me.

Stay safe, Dave,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in