2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 62 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #611 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I found them. May stop by there instead of Annapolis as Iíve been there already and wasnít impressed.
Have you been to St. Michaels on the Miles River? Really nice, walkable town. The Maritime Museum alone is worth the trip.
Ajax_MD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #612 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Have you been to St. Michaels on the Miles River? Really nice, walkable town. The Maritime Museum alone is worth the trip.
I agree. I wouldn't be upset if you skipped the Rhode to visit St. Mike's.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #613 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018

Havre de Grace is just across the river from me.

Gary

post #614 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Looks good, marked it on my Aqua Map, the town looks quaint and thereís a brewpub. Iíve been known to travel out of my way to go to a brewpub, because I know whatís important in cruising.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 06-22-2018 at 05:23 PM.
post #615 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Looks good, marked in on my Aqua Map the town looks uaintand thereís a brewpub. Iív by to travel out of way to go to a brewpub, because I know heís important in cruising.
Yes there is and yes he is! You can anchor at the harbor entrance on the south side. If you want a slip I recommend Higgins Yard inside the harbor to the right. It doesn't have the fancy facilities you will pay dearly for elsewhere.
post #616 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018
Tartan 27' owner

@Don0190

I will second the Rhode River as a recommended stop. One of the few places on the western shore that is not completely developed shoreline. Camp Letts there owns a lot of land that is in a more "natural" state.
It can be pretty shallow in there and it is also a popular spot with locals and will likely be somewhat crowded over the weekends. But it should make a nice quiet anchorage.
A few marinas for fuel and pump out exist.
If you want a shore side restaurant I think the West River has that.

I'll also mention Harness Creek up the South River as a more "natural" anchorage.

But if I could only stop at 1 place in the mid Chesapeake area I would say don't miss St. Michaels. Pay the modest overnight docking fee so you can use their facilities (shore side head & showers), visit the wooden boat museum, walk into the nearby quaint village for restaurants & provisions. Again, this place will likely be pretty crowded come a weekend so best to arrive during the week. You could also try to reserve a slip for your boat before you get there. Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Maryland

Enjoy your meanderings.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #617 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Don just read your post. We are at Spring Cove marina as we were meeting friends there. We are eating at the Lighthouse restaurant tonight, if you care to join us. If you PM me Iíll give you my phone number. Go visit St Micheals as I said , you wonít be sorry.

Rhodes is a great lace we anchor there a lot, but not on weekends on the summer when it is overrun by Pb raftups. Head for the Easyern Shore St Micheals.

Tomorrow we will be in one of the coves off of Broad Creek off of the Choptank. Back door to St Micheals is Choptank......Broad Creek....Edge Creek...San Domingo Creek..beautiful scenery ...short dinghy ride to St Micheals.....33 miles.

Havre de Grace is a great stop. Brewpub is good there. The one

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #618 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter

Don,

Locked like you must have moved up one of the creeks or anchored by us. We dinghyed up to the Lighthouse and saw no one anchored there ( was a little bouncy there. Sorry we missed you. Weíll be leaving heading north to a Cove with Bald eagles on the Choptank. Which one we havenít determined yet. You are welcome to join us. Hail us on Channel 16 after 9 and we can switchover to another channel, or call me on,y cell which I PMd you. Out boats name pronunciation...Holly-aw-ku-la.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #619 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Pffft...there won't be any "deplorables" anchored in the Rhode this weekend. The rain will keep 'em away.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #620 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter

While we donít usually spend a lot of time in marinas except to beat the heat with air conditioning we decided to stay at Spring Cove Marina all the way back in Broad Creek. Understand I like Zanheizers also which I rate at a 94.....Spring Cove is a 96. They are exceptionally customer service centered from seeing you walking with a bag of trash. As to take it for you. Solar powered shuttle to take you to any store or restaurant. West Marine close by. Picturesque setting . Counted 30 picnic table, all shaded under huge mature trees in all various areas of the marina. The pool on a hill ....huge....with a bar .... overlooked the basin and Creek. I couldnít get over how pleasent and nice the employees were. Most full time were there over 10 years. The college students were also multiple years as Spring Cove has a scholarship program for them

. The pump out on each dock at you slip . Self serve is so quick and so unique. The setup allows you to purge the tank and fill it again with water and purge it again with no rush like a fuel dock is. Itís a central vacuum system. On each dock every 50 ft is a standpipe of the system to hook the pumpout house too. At the head of each dock is a handtruck with 100 ft of hose and the deck unit with attachments. I rinse out twice it was so much fun. Lol

Captain Smiths seafood had jumbo crabs for $30 a 1/2 dozen, which were some of the biggest I have seen in years. The shuttle driver drove us 1.5 miles to pick them up and my wife who loves battering these crustaceans as a true Marylander for years eyes lit up when she saw their hugeness. Like a true ďpickerĒ she was actually full of jumbo lump and claw when she was finished. The massacre took place under the shade of huge pine trees at a picnic table. Old Bay everywhere.

Today was ugly on the Bay. 25-30 and driving rain. We had friends staying in Zanheisers a great place and walked down between deluges to see them. My wife then took the shuttle into town to window and antique shop. She always picks up a Christmas ornament for our tree, if she can from wherever we travel to.

Tonight we headed to the Lighthouse a very trendy good food place with a killer view of the harbor. Not a super creative place but all 5heir food was quality and cook right. Donna had scallops wrapped in bacon which was entree sized, Cream of crab soup and a Caesar salad. I had fried grouper fingers with a ponzu sauce, and a crab cake ( all jumbo...no filler. We just rolled back to 5he boat in the midst of another rainstorm.

Tomorrow , next to the last day of vacation, and 3 days till my surgery we are headed to a creek up the Choptank to anchor. Torn between Dunn Cove, Boby Owl Cove (spelled correctly) , Grace Creek or Lendenham Creek are the choices.

Sunday we head back to the barn. Well rested....well traveled...well fed.....good frame of mind. I love having time like this with my wife and am so lucky she shares the love of sailing and traveling on the boat as much as I do. Itís a huge bond for us. Good for our marriage and friendship.

Moral of the story...stay at Spring Cove if you travel to Solomonís at least once. We will still go to Zanheisers....but there are two great choices
Spring Cove is very laid back.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in