2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 63 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #621 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD;205153309sf6
Pffft...there won't be any "deplorables" anchored in the Rhode this weekend. The rain will keep 'em away.

I like that.....ĒDEPLORABLESĒ........L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 1159 Old 06-22-2018

Being among the "Deplorables", I think I'll anchor up a few feet from Dave and fire up my genset.

Stay safe out there,

Gary (The proud, deplorable one!)
post #623 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Being among the "Deplorables", I think I'll anchor up a few feet from Dave and fire up my genset.

Stay safe out there,

I'm in Milwaukee until next Thursday morning. My wife is in Chicago caring for parents, and our daughter is home taking care of the puppy by herself, which is an exercise in sleep deprivation. My wife and I had planned to cruise next Thur night through July 3, but that would be another week of the daughter having to take the dog by herself, which will wear her out so much it will be difficult for her to keep up with her job. We're thinking of altering our cruising plans to bring the dog on the boat, just to give our daughter a break. I'd appreciate any guidance on anchorages with dog-accessible places. I had hoped to make it down to Solomons, but we're going to have to stay close to Rock Hall in case things don't work well with the dog on the boat.

We may hop over to Annapolis for a day or two, since Federal House is very dog friendly (complete with dog bowls at the outdoor tables). Looks like Davis's Pub in Eastport also ranks high for canines. We eat mostly on the boat, but would like to have some restaurant time once or twice also.

https://www.bringfido.com/restaurant...napolis_md_us/

Other suggestions?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #624 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018
bell ringer

Once I moved from anchor by the lighthouse to the anchorage by Zanheizers it was all calm here. Since it rained all day we stayed on the boat, which means we saved $$$$$$. Only been ashore once since Monday and that was quick stop at Point Lookout to walk and see the "fort" and stopped at the little park store and got a 12-pk of coke.

Controlling the cruiser budget is about controlling going ashore. If you don't go ashore for awhile you save up for a brewpub trip or 2.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don0190; 06-23-2018 at 09:56 AM.
post #625 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018 Thread Starter

Is good you moved it was rough in the harbor area.

Understand what your saying about cruising , living on your boat budgeting money. You donít need to be a cruiser to have to do that. It sent exclusive to cruising In life we all have budgets

. Right now my wife and I are dinks ( double income no kids ) and have planned for our upcoming retirement . Me soon her in two years. We will see how I recover from Tuesdayís back operation. We are on a 10 day vacation which we budgeted for through the year. We allotted $2000.
For that it includes taking my wife to a couple of restaurants, some nice. It also is for docking at a few places so we can enjoy the pool. I certainly didnít want her eating her massacred steamed crabs on the boat with the flies and all the old Bay smell which would takes days to get rid of. Spring cove Marina tools everywhere. To get the crabs, to the restaurant and back, she was able to go to a couple of antique places. We have had a great 10 days and spent less than $1000 so far. We traditionally love to anchor out. Almost every weekend finds us anchoring out.
To stay in a marina is a treat though you gotta pick the right one.if you spend the money it should meet expectations.

This thread is Chesapeake Sailing. Most who post are not cruisers. Most are like us...weekend warriors who alsomau take a couple of weeks to cruise our beloved Chesapeake Bay. The country originally was settled up through this region. Those of us who sail here enjoy gunkholing anywhre which you can only find here . Thinking an occasional brew pup gives you the flavor of sailing here does not give an accurate picture.

Taking the time to visit Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg, Solomonís, St Micheal and Annapolis areS are very significant in the history of colonial America as well as Civil War period. Seeing the Monitor in the museum in Hampton Roads a significant place in history, Yorktown where the final battle of the revolution was fought, Jamestown the first colony, Annapolis where all the slave trade came to as well as the Maryland Capitol, and St MicheLs.....very important colonial port. You can anchor inn all places. All have brew pubs. All have tremendous museums. All give a flavor of this area. Might explain why we all love to sail the Chesapeake.

Thread contains the travels of many of us. We specifically post ours so others may see and get ideas for themselves when they are looking for a place to anchor. Almost every weekend we anchor out during the year, as do others. Vacations are a mixture usually. If we visit an area for a few days we want to see more than where we can wŗlk to. The marinas takeus there.

Others have posted great places to visit while you are transiting through. Many including me mentioned St Micheals. A great place e to anchor and get off. You can visit from the Miles River side or my preferred San Domingo Creek off the Choptank and Broad Creeks,

We will be in a small Creek off of Broad Creek if you care to drop anchor and visit with us. We are just hanging out today , with a dinghy ride as I prepare for our surgery. Also putting the boa5 back together after the 10 days trip. Maybe we will see Rubber Ducky later. You have my contact info.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #626 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018
bell ringer

You didnít even wave this morning as you went by me as I was pulling the anchor up

On way to St Michaels based on you guys and the guidebook. I canít read and remember every place in in the guidebook, plus Iíve found the guides lie and make ****holes sound worth a visit. So itís nice to hear recommendations

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #627 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I I
You didnít even wave this morning as you went by me as I was pulling the anchor up

On way to St Michaels based on you guys and the guidebook. I canít read and remember every place in in the guidebook, plus Iíve found the guides lie and make ****holes sound worth a visit. So itís nice to hear recommendations
I didnít see you honestly or I would have. We waved to a few people. I did not see and names on boats

We are anchored in Grace Creek off Landenham Creek off Broad Creek on the Choptank if you care to join later.

You will like St Micheals
Two ways to St Micheals .

Choptank to BroadCreek to Edge Creek to Santo Domingo Creek. To meet itís the peaceful quiet anchorage. Dinghy Dock is 1/4 mile further. Walk 2 Blocks and your in St Micheals

Second way is Miles River. Most anchor in the river East side. Dinghy Dock next to museum.

Have fun

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #628 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Second way is Miles River. Most anchor in the river East side...
Are you saying across the river from the town harbor?

Just curious about this since we’ve always gone there on slow days when we could tuck in by Parrot Point, but may end up there next Saturday when the fireworks will make Parrot anchorage unsafe, and we’ll have to find a safer place.

FYI, the event next Saturday is the museum’s annual big band night, a gig that I played for 20 years before I had my sailboat. Always wanted to go by boat, but I left the band and it subsequently lost the booking.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-23-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #629 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post

Stay safe out there,

Deplorables was referring to PWC's.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #630 of 1159 Old 06-23-2018

Sorry, I guessed I missed that part. I was thinking he was referring to Republicans.

Gary
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in