2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 66 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #651 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018
美國佬

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Geeze, what a PITA. How far of a drive is it to Ferry Point?
Make sure you write a checklist of all the tools and stuff needed so you don't end up making a lot of trips back home or to the store.
Ferry Point, despite being 22 miles away by boat, is only 7 miles away by land, and the route has at least four liquor stores.
T37Chef, CalebD, oldlaxer1 and 3 others like this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

Spent a week in Sacramento visiting brother-in-law and his family with a day in San Francisco and another day around Lake Tahoe. Now I really want to work on my boat and get it ready. Going to Vancouver for a couple weeks soon to visit another brother-in-law but working on my refit when I can.

With how hot it's been lately, I guess I should take my little air conditioner back to the boat.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #653 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Ferry Point, despite being 22 miles away by boat, is only 7 miles away by land, and the route has at least four liquor stores.
Plus, their restaurant is decently nice, and their happy hour specials are a good value

post #654 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Here are a couple alternatives. You already have been to Annapolis and it’s starts getting nuts about now. If you want a mooring come early. (11 am).

We see people leave dinghy sited to moorings when the go out sailing for the day

St Micheals Harbor is crazy nuts on fireworks days. Yes people anchor off Parrot Point pretty deep into the river. The problem with the harbor is when the fireworks end .....the PB rev up and fly out of there for an hour. Remember any restaurant the weekend of the 4 will have a 2 hour wait.

Here’s a couple of close alternative ideas....they are free ....so that’s what their worth����

One would be to do the St Micheals thing on the Miles. Spend a couple days on the Wye River.... Shaw Bay...Granary Creek both have places you can let the doggie off .

Two...this one is better I think. Go to the Choptank. Anchor in San Domingo Creek. Take Fido to the fireworks with you. Dinghy are is at a public park.very pretty anchorage area and you won’t get the yahoos on the Miles River. Good restaurants in St Micheals not on the water to. T37chef and I both like Ava’s for what it’s worth. Next day do to Tred Avon and Oxford. Take Fido to walk the town. Great ice cream shop there. Next day go to La Trappe Creek or take a slip in the municipal Marinia in Cambridge.
Take Fido off the boat there too. Some restaurants around. There are pretty anchorages like Dunn Cove, Boby Owl Cove if you want solitude.

Personally I’d avoid the crowds in Annapolis. Visit there when you have short time and when the crowds are gone in the fall.

Lastly if you are that worried that the dog won’t adjustand he’s a healthy dog, put him in a kennel or vet kennel for a few days. My dog when alive was a huge German Shorthaired Pointer ( Thor) . We trained him to be on the boat, however I wouldn’t take him for a week. Not fair to him....or to us. I wouldn’t let the tail wag the dog . He went to a kind kennel we got him used to and would run him every day. We were much happier and enjoyed our time. So did he...we asked him..������
Thanks for the suggestions. We’re already considering similar things. We’ve had some kennel problems with our prior dog, but we can reconsider and look for other places that have opened since. Our prior dog liked our daysails and did a couple marina-hopping trips before she got too frail to enjoy it. I want to get this dog started on the boat early and see how he adjusts, so I’m willing to risk our cruise even if we happen to decide “this isn’t working” and make an unexpected trip home to drop him off.

As for locations, we really want to do the Wye and Choptank, but on this first trip with the dog we want to stay within an easy daysail of Rock Hall in case we decide to bail. Depending on wind direction and evening temperatures (which could affect whether to stop in a marina to hook up our A/C), we may try Friday night at Dobbins Island (easy access to sand bar at low tide, can dinghy back to the marine in the nearby creek) or Queenstown (easy dinghy to shore). If things are going well we could venture to further destinations like Shaw Bay early Saturday morning (before low tide). Or, if it’s a disaster, we head back to Rock Hall and take the dog home to our daughter.

We need to take baby (puppy) steps with this, but I hope it will be worth it. Before we even leave the dock, we’re going to have to test out our dinghy to make sure the puppy doesn’t go into a panic from the outboard motor noise. If so, I may do a lot of rowing, which won’t be pleasant given forecast temps).

FYI, we had a dog on our family’s 34’ boat when I was a kid, so I’ve seen it work. Of course, we didn’t anchor out, instead doing 6 hour cruises to our yacht club’s property on the Potomac. But it worked very well. No guarantees that this will work, but we’ll probably try it this time.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-25-2018 at 05:39 PM.
post #655 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018

Don, looks like Wednesday will be a bust for me, now. My wife just informed me that we had another doctors appointment that day. After today, I think I will stop seeing doctors all together. Nothing but bad news.

Today, I saw a dermatologist CRNP. Very knowledgeable lady, quite attractive and notices things I would overlook. I was concerned about two small spots on my face that just didn't want to heal. She said they were per-cancerous lesions and she prescribed some nasty salve for that part of my face, the back of my ears and forehead. A two week regiment where your hide gets burned off, then allowed to heal naturally. Nasty stuff, but it works.

Then she saw something suspicious on my lower lip. She pulled out a small magnifying glass for a closer look and said, well, I think you have squamous cell carcinoma of the lip. Won't know until I do a biopsy. Damned! Removing it must be done with a local anesthesia, which I deplore, but because my lungs are so nasty, it is the only option because I would not survive general anesthesia.

Four days ago, I got out of bed, and damned near fell on the floor. My knee was very swollen and throbbed like a toothache. After a two days of increasing pain, I went to Doc In A Box and was diagnosed with gout of the knee. Three tiny pills and two days later, the pain was gone. Damned, that was really painful.

Tomorrow, I'm off to see the lung doc, another good looking blond gal, and she will be providing me with some new, very, very expensive medications. Fortunately, she keeps me supplied with free samples and I keep the office supplied with my homemade Kahlua - good deal for both of us.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate on Thursday, which is the next day I can get to the boat and meet up with Don if he is still there. Of course, Wunderground is calling for scattered thundershowers in the a.m., but maybe some afternoon clearing with SSE winds of about 10. Sure wish I woulda went sailing today. NW 12 to 20 nearly all day. Now that would have been a fun day on Saturday's Child!

All the best,

Gary
post #656 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018
bell ringer

Take care of yourself WAY before meeting with me. I’ve met me and it’s no special thing!
oldlaxer1 and travlin-easy like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #657 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Gout. It's all that rich food and good livin'.
chef2sail likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #658 of 1159 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We’re already considering similar things. We’ve had some kennel problems with our prior dog, but we can reconsider and look for other places that have opened since. Our prior dog liked our daysails and did a couple marina-hopping trips before she got too frail to enjoy it. I want to get this dog started on the boat early and see how he adjusts, so I’m willing to risk our cruise even if we happen to decide “this isn’t working” and make an unexpected trip home to drop him off.

As for locations, we really want to do the Wye and Choptank, but on this first trip with the dog we want to stay within an easy daysail of Rock Hall in case we decide to bail. Depending on wind direction and evening temperatures (which could affect whether to stop in a marina to hook up our A/C), we may try Friday night at Dobbins Island (easy access to sand bar at low tide, can dinghy back to the marine in the nearby creek) or Queenstown (easy dinghy to shore). If things are going well we could venture to further destinations like Shaw Bay early Saturday morning (before low tide). Or, if it’s a disaster, we head back to Rock Hall and take the dog home to our daughter.

We need to take baby (puppy) steps with this, but I hope it will be worth it. Before we even leave the dock, we’re going to have to test out our dinghy to make sure the puppy doesn’t go into a panic from the outboard motor noise. If so, I may do a lot of rowing, which won’t be pleasant given forecast temps).

FYI, we had a dog on our family’s 34’ boat when I was a kid, so I’ve seen it work. Of course, we didn’t anchor out, instead doing 6 hour cruises to our yacht club’s property on the Potomac. But it worked very well. No guarantees that this will work, but we’ll probably try it this time.

Gotcha,

For what it’s worth trainings Thor to hang on the boat started at home. It was there we bought a couple squares of artificial turf and through positive reenforcement taught him to go on them. Thor was a quick learner always wanted to please and the positive approach ,add it easy. Before he even stepped on the boat he could go on that square.

Next was just taking him aboard when I wasn’t sailing. Took him down when I worked on it. Took him down when we just hung out at the Marinia. It just became another place for him to sniff about and take a nap. We brought his favorite blanket.

Not telling you how to do it , just what worked for me. Every animal is different. If this is his first time you are right to stay close in case he freaks. Looks like unless he’s comfortable you’ll have even less time out unless you can find someone to take him.

We see people out all the time going by us with dogs at anchor. Cute, but it’s certainly a commitment .
Hope it works out for you.

Just a note on Dobbins ....it’s a major PB party place and open to fetch as wéll as wakes of people using the River. You cant land on it

If you go up a little further to Broad Creek there’s and outside and inside around the corner . Both have spots to dinghy in to. We love Broad and still go there to be protected from NW wind.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #659 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018

We're behind schedule with the grass mat training. My wife and I both fly back to PA Thursday, and haven't bought a mat yet. We're going to have to play catch-up on that. (I think I have an old golf mat somewhere in the garage. The dog will get much more use out of it than I ever did! lol)

We hope to get to the boat Thursday evening and sleep over in the slip with the dog on board. Next morning we'll probably do the dinghy test before heading out of the slip.

We did a daysail with the dog about 4 weeks ago, the last time the boat was out of the slip (ugh!), and he enjoyed it. But he's never slept overnight on the boat.

I've heard about the issues at Dobbins, but hoping Friday night won't be too bad. We know we'll want to get out of there early on Saturday before the waterskiiers/PWCs overwhelm the place. If it's going well we may head across to the Chester River (though concerned about shoaling in Queenstown) or maybe Worton, where we can take a slip if we want electric. All of these will still be an easy daysail to get back to Rock Hall if we need to.

Of course, current wind forecast is NW Fri-Sat and S Sun-Tues, which makes it awfully tempting to head south for a couple days. Awfully tempting to try Back Creek or something else down there. Are there good places to go ashore in Mill Creek, or is it too noisy there on weekends?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #660 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018

Dock

I am starting to plan my first trip to the Chesapeake for early to mid September. . We are hauling my 1975 Helsen 22', shoal keel centerboard trailersailer down from NJ. It drafts 14" with the board up and 4'6" with it down. I imagine there aren't too many places I can't get into on the bay. We are only going for 3 or 4 days and will probably concentrate on the upper east coast (near rock hall or Bohemia). We will most likely do transient slips, as our amenities on the boat are scant... though we may do a night on the hook. Not sure yet if we will base ourselves in one marina and do day trips or if we will port hop. This will be our first real trip in the boat, so i think we will keep the legs of our trip short and in the day time. I plan on buying the Waterway guide or the Gunkholer's guide and scouring this site. Not sure why I am posting this other than to get the planning ball rolling and to make it more real to myself. I have been to Rock Hall before and loved it, so looking forward to getting back down there on a boat instead of an RV this time. I was also contemplating concentrating a bit further south, nearer to the Miles river. Feel free to leave suggestions about these particular areas of the bay (restaurants/marinas/must dos). Thanks, Jason
Ajax_MD likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in