467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersling View Post
I am starting to plan my first trip to the Chesapeake for early to mid September. . We are hauling my 1975 Helsen 22', shoal keel centerboard trailersailer down from NJ. It drafts 14" with the board up and 4'6" with it down. I imagine there aren't too many places I can't get into on the bay. We are only going for 3 or 4 days and will probably concentrate on the upper east coast (near rock hall or Bohemia). We will most likely do transient slips, as our amenities on the boat are scant... though we may do a night on the hook. Not sure yet if we will base ourselves in one marina and do day trips or if we will port hop. This will be our first real trip in the boat, so i think we will keep the legs of our trip short and in the day time. I plan on buying the Waterway guide or the Gunkholer's guide and scouring this site. Not sure why I am posting this other than to get the planning ball rolling and to make it more real to myself. I have been to Rock Hall before and loved it, so looking forward to getting back down there on a boat instead of an RV this time. I was also contemplating concentrating a bit further south, nearer to the Miles river. Feel free to leave suggestions about these particular areas of the bay (restaurants/marinas/must dos). Thanks, Jason
Swan Creek just north of Rock Hall has moorings or slips and is reasonably priced. The marina loans bicycles and it's a short ride to Rock Hall for dining and shopping.

In the short period of time you'll be visiting, you can easily reach the Magothy River and spend a night near Gibson Island in one of the creeks. With your draft, you could also make it into Bodkin Creek just north of the Magothy.

On the Eastern Shore you could sail south, around Eastern Neck and up to Gray's Inn Creek. With your boat, you might actually be able to squeak through Eastern Neck Narrows, shaving a considerable amount of distance to Gray's Inn Creek.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018
美國佬

One of the guys at the boatyard sidled up to me today and said I had the coolest bottom. I didn't know what to say, and just blushed.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #663 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
One of the guys at the boatyard sidled up to me today and said I had the coolest bottom. I didn't know what to say, and just blushed.
Would have been better if it had been a woman.

post #664 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
There is something seriously wrong with you

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #665 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
There is something seriously wrong with you
He said he was the one that hauled the boat out, and he liked the colors - before I did the bottom last time, I agreed to trade someone something for bottom paint, but it turned out to be quart cans in three colors, so the hull was blue, red, and black.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #666 of 1159 Old 06-26-2018

Went to the boat today, fired up the old A4, motored across the river and gassed up at Tidwater Marina. Burned 19 gallons of gasoline motoring from Solomons to Perryvile - not bad for a 2001 rebuild A4.

I was hoping Don would be there, and saw a Hunter 42 near a Tidewater mooring ball, but it was a local just teaching his wife how to back up the boat.

There was a good breeze from the northwest, but because of breathing issues, I oped to to go back to the marina, hook up to the portable oxygen and drive to the local American Legion for a great lunch of chicken fingers, onion rings and cole slaw, washed down with am ice-cold Coors Light. My 11-year-old grandson wolfed down a great cheese burger and some fries.

All the best,

Gary
post #667 of 1159 Old 06-27-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Swan Creek just north of Rock Hall has moorings or slips and is reasonably priced. The marina loans bicycles and it's a short ride to Rock Hall for dining and shopping.

In the short period of time you'll be visiting, you can easily reach the Magothy River and spend a night near Gibson Island in one of the creeks. With your draft, you could also make it into Bodkin Creek just north of the Magothy.

On the Eastern Shore you could sail south, around Eastern Neck and up to Gray's Inn Creek. With your boat, you might actually be able to squeak through Eastern Neck Narrows, shaving a considerable amount of distance to Gray's Inn Creek.
This is super helpful. Thanks!
post #668 of 1159 Old 06-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
With your boat, you might actually be able to squeak through Eastern Neck Narrows, shaving a considerable amount of distance to Gray's Inn Creek.
Maybe in a row boat that draws a couple of inches and under the 6ft vert. clearence fixed bridge connecting the Eastern Neck NWR...
chef2sail likes this.
post #669 of 1159 Old 06-27-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Looks like I'll be going for a warm day sail on Friday. My dad doesn't want to do an overnight - he has a busy weekend planned. Based on the wind I may go down to Annapolis and back, just to say I did it and practice navigation. Hopefully we'll get a good 10-12 hours out on the water. Anyone else planning on being out in the area?
post #670 of 1159 Old 06-28-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Maybe in a row boat that draws a couple of inches and under the 6ft vert. clearence fixed bridge connecting the Eastern Neck NWR...
Crap, I missed the bridge clearance. Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in