2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I'm more concerned about dimensions changing due to the extreme temperatures and very low humidity. I may end up building all of this only to have the sole swell up to trap the bilge boards in the summer. In that case, I'll just plane 1/16th" away on the edge trim pieces but it would still be an aggravation.

I (finally) swallowed my fear and laid a coat of varnish on a scrap piece of sole. I had concerns about how this commercial floor varnish would look. Worried for nothing, it looks great and leveled out nicely. I'm going to lay 4 coats on the test piece before I touch the real sole this week but I think it will look pretty good.

Mostly, I'm just concerned about getting my application skills to par so that the finish is nice and even.

Which varnish did you choose?

I think we are going with Epiphanes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018 Thread Starter

Yesterday after I visited Home I saw a package at the door. New color blocks ( Lewmar HTC 72) to lead the halyards back to the cockpit to replace the 20 year old ones .

Waiting for new blocks for our mainsheet traveler system which will increase it from 4:1 to 6:1

Donna started working on the adjusting the new dinghy cover. Since the fight sits on davits for over 6 months keeping the UV off of it is important. The old cover lasted 6 years and is heavily faded and brittle. Cheap insurance to protect the haplon .

She also is making us a new Bimini. Much easier than last years project the Dodger. Also can really just duplicate the old one as a pattern.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #63 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018

Dave, how are your blocks attached to the base of the mast? Or are they attached to the deck?

Gary

post #64 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Dave, how are your blocks attached to the base of the mast? Or are they attached to the deck?

Gary
We have an robust anodized mast collar with holes at the base of the mast. The rotating pin ( which could be locked if necessary) at the heads of the blocks Have a snap shackle through them which is then attached to the mast collar

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #65 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Which varnish did you choose?

I think we are going with Epiphanes?
Ugh, don't ask my advice about varnish. I'm a neophyte and I vacillated about which finish to use for weeks.
In the end, I decided to avoid spar varnishes like Epiphanes because they are softer and not meant for walking surfaces.

Per the advice of several people, I searched for a purpose-formulated floor varnish in order to get the maximum hardness and durability. After looking at many brands, I found this stuff called "Defthane". It was the only finish I could find that was a floor varnish, oil based and had UV stabilizers. I found plenty of floor varnishes that did not have UV stabilizers and plenty of spar varnishes that were UV stable but too soft for a cabin sole. I avoided water based floor varnishes because of negative reports from people who used them in marine applications. If I had not found the Defthane, I would have used a Varathane oil based, "high traffic" floor varnish. They sell both oil and water based floor varnishes.

I chose a satin finish because... we're just going to walk on it and scuff it all to hell anyway, grinding dirt into the finish, etc. Also, some people report that a gloss finish is very slick when it gets wet, as if from rain. I'm also hopeful that the satin finish gives me some fudge factor since I won't have a high gloss mirror finish.

I'm glad I'm practicing on this test piece. The humidity is very low in my house and the stuff is drying FAST. I barely have time to tip it. I also think that I'm rolling it on way too thin. I put on two coats and it still didn't quite fill the wood grain.

I do like the color of the wood after it dries, so I got that going for me.
chef2sail likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #66 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Ugh, don't ask my advice about varnish. I'm a neophyte and I vacillated about which finish to use for weeks.
In the end, I decided to avoid spar varnishes like Epiphanes because they are softer and not meant for walking surfaces.

Per the advice of several people, I searched for a purpose-formulated floor varnish in order to get the maximum hardness and durability. After looking at many brands, I found this stuff called "Defthane". It was the only finish I could find that was a floor varnish, oil based and had UV stabilizers. I found plenty of floor varnishes that did not have UV stabilizers and plenty of spar varnishes that were UV stable but too soft for a cabin sole. I avoided water based floor varnishes because of negative reports from people who used them in marine applications. If I had not found the Defthane, I would have used a Varathane oil based, "high traffic" floor varnish. They sell both oil and water based floor varnishes.

I chose a satin finish because... we're just going to walk on it and scuff it all to hell anyway, grinding dirt into the finish, etc. Also, some people report that a gloss finish is very slick when it gets wet, as if from rain. I'm also hopeful that the satin finish gives me some fudge factor since I won't have a high gloss mirror finish.

I'm glad I'm practicing on this test piece. The humidity is very low in my house and the stuff is drying FAST. I barely have time to tip it. I also think that I'm rolling it on way too thin. I put on two coats and it still didn't quite fill the wood grain.

All great reasoning and well thought out. This will be our project next year as Haleakulas sole ( not soul) is worn out after 34 years. Gary’s suggestion for the Neetsfoot is one I have used at home and really works. We supplement the floor when at anchor or in the marina with a Turkish rubber backed bound runner and 2 large same pattern carpet mats for the galley area. This helps save the floor . They roll op easily and store in the v when underway. Their pattern actually accents the salon. We found them 8 years ago at an Ollie’s so they weren’t very expensive. We fabric guarded them so stains would come out but actually we just take them home occasionally and clean them. They also catch crumbs and small particles which when they get underfoot would serve to scratch the varnish.

I applaud your effort and thank you for posting on here and will call on you for tips when I start next year.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #67 of 1159 Old 01-07-2018

Quote:

FWIW I’ve used Epifane high gloss—probably because I had it on hand for my exterior teak—on my cabin sole with good results. I seriously doubt that a satin finish is measurably less slick than gloss finish. There simply isn’t enough texture to provide any kind of “non skid” effect. You are correct that the satin finish is more forgiving cosmetically.

That said, you don’t need UV resistance down below, so using a polyurethane gym floor finish might be the way to go. Since you’ve already used Defthane, maybe you could report your experience after the summer sailing season.
post #68 of 1159 Old 01-08-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
FWIW I’ve used Epifane high gloss—probably because I had it on hand for my exterior teak—on my cabin sole with good results. I seriously doubt that a satin finish is measurably less slick than gloss finish. There simply isn’t enough texture to provide any kind of “non skid” effect. You are correct that the satin finish is more forgiving cosmetically.

That said, you don’t need UV resistance down below, so using a polyurethane gym floor finish might be the way to go. Since you’ve already used Defthane, maybe you could report your experience after the summer sailing season.
Fallard- This is an oil based polyurethane.
https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/d...terior-oil-b-3

I agree that the cabin sole sees less UV than brightwork exposed on deck, but I have several ports and two hatches above the sole. I wanted to avoid any strange UV burn patterns from forming over the years from spots of light hitting the sole in the same place, day after day.

Of course, the real solution for that, is to sail the boat so that the sun isn't hitting it the same way all the time!

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #69 of 1159 Old 01-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsbiggs View Post
Thank you so much for the replies. I have a 1983 Macgregor 25 which has a retractable keel. The draft is around 2 feet with the keel retracted and around 5' 10" with the keel down. I would like to find something within about an hours drive if I can. But may be able to travel a little further if needed. I've had the boat moored on Lake Champlain for the last three years which is only about 22 miles from my house. I normally sail one or two days a week right now but once I'm retired I would like to maybe get out more if I can. Moorings in my area are around $1000 a year and slips run between $1300 to $2100 per year. I don't need power or pump outs if in a slip. But would prefer a mooring or a marina with mast up storage with a ramp to use for launching. I plan to come down in April and do a little exploring of the marinas in the area. Most of my sailing has been day sails so I don't really keep track of how far I've sailed. Most days I would say I most likely cover around 25 to 30 miles.

My son lives in Dillsburg and my daughter is living in Lincoln University so I would like to buy a house somewhere south of Lancaster so I can be close to the grandchildren. Thank you again for any local knowledge you can share. Maybe we can meet sometime for a coffee or a sail.
A bit late to the dance here, but to jjsbiggs, we lived in SE PA for years and sailed/cruised trailerable boats on the Chesapeake, first a Com-Pac 16 then a Rhodes 22. For a number of years we kept the boats at Maryland Marina on the Middle River. We drysailed (kept the mast up and used their good ramp to launch). Nice place, affordable and near the mouth of the river and easy access from I95 from SE PA. The Middle River itself is a pain in the neck with powerboat wakes on the weekends. This was nearly 20 years ago but is probably worth checking out.

We left there 17 years ago because we were spending all our time sailing over to the Eastern Shore and we wanted to keep the boat there. We ended up in Rock Hall deciding that the extra drive time was more than offset by the ailing possibilities from RH. No one offered the same ramp/drysail arrangement so we ended up taking a slip. We also liked Worton Creek and the Chester River but decided on RH because it had the best access to many so areas of the Bay. It was about a 2 hour drive from the Philadelphia area and I think our friends who live near Lancaster say it's about 2 and half hours from there.

We liked the RH area so much that we ended up moving here when we retired.

Best of luck finding a new spot that suits you. Chesapeake sailing will be very different than Champlain but the sailing is good and the cruising destinations are fabulous.

Mary Lou
Rock Hall
(gone to the dark side with a Rosborough 246 - Tara)
post #70 of 1159 Old 01-09-2018

Thank you Mary Lou for all the great information. I really like the idea of dry sailing so I will be sure to check out Maryland Marina. It will most likely be the closest to where I will be. Everyone has been great on this site. Even Ajax_MD. I am really looking forward to getting to check out the area.
I know sailing on the Chesapeake will be very different from Lake Champlain. I'm sure I have much to learn but that is one of the things that make sailing so great.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in