2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 70 - SailNet Community
 467Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #691 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: VA Boat: Deale, MD
Posts: 1,233
Thanks: 127
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Had a great day on the water today. We sailed most of the way down to Annapolis from Sandy Point, and then the wind basically died. We motored most of the way back to Sandy Point. It was great seeing so many boats out, even if they didn't all have their sails up. I don't think I saw anyone who is on the forum. On the plus side I've worked out a few kinks on the boat and I'm comfortable with using it in light winds. Also - I got to spend the day with my dad, which is never a bad thing I'm so tired now... and I have half a bottle of wine in me, so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Res,

Really good to see you're getting some fun time out on the water. Hope to see you around some time.
Safe Travels.
Rezz likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 4,868
Thanks: 22
Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We’re anchored at Dobbins Island. We’ll be out of here in a couple hours before too many crazies arrive.

We left Rock Hall around 2 yesterday, after resolving a couple issues related to extended non-use of the boat (one water tank was foul, needed shocking, etc). Depth finder never missed a beat, so one of the things I did must have worked. Winds were light at first, but I was determined to sail, so we settled for 2 kts at the beginning. We saw dolfins(!!!) just outside the Swan Point bar. I’d never heard of them coming this far up the bay. Winds picked up nicely (but still gentle) for the second half of our trip, allowing us to hit 5-5.5 kts sustained, and a brief moment at 6 kts. It was a great sail, and much needed given our lack of sailing time this year. We arrived around 5:30, a little longer than normal for this trip.

There were about 18 boats anchored near the beach, but all but a few were gone by sunset. Immediately after anchoring we jumped in for a swim. The dog is a good swimmer, but seemed a little panicked, clinging to my wife a lot. He took to the dinghy ride real well, taking in all the wildlife around us. First we dinghied to the beach and walked around outside the high water mark, then we motored over to Grays Creek and Atlantic Marina, just to check things out. Dinner was grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and canteloupe.

I spent an hour installing the Navisafe lights for a nighttime trip to shore, but we decided to take the dog on a walk around the boat first just in case he suddenly catches on and pees on the green mat. I turned on the deck lights so he would see it lying in front of the mast, he sniffed around it (I had taken a urine specimen at home and poured it onto the mat) and immediately peed. Eureka! Big reward! This morning we did the same thing, and he peed on command.

It’s been great having the dog, but with the heat coming and the inability to take him into air conditioned restaurants, we’re probably going to return to Rock Hall today and take him home. We hope to return to the boat tomorrow and head out for a couple nights by ourselves. We’ll definintely bring him along again when temperatures are a little more moderate.

Before leaving we’ll pump out the bleachy shock water and rinse the tank, and also empty the other tank and shock it as a precaution (it seems fine, and we’re using it now).

Sorry we missed you RZS, but sounds like you were out earlier in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
71D83CFF-0430-43F8-8AA0-D5DFBF7CBF10.jpeg   0D8FEBB7-9522-4A49-A16E-C625B26CD7F8.jpeg  
chef2sail and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-30-2018 at 06:27 AM.
TakeFive is offline  
post #693 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Senior Member
 
travlin-easy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland - USA
Posts: 6,602
Thanks: 1
Thanked 121 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Dan, is your boat in the water now? After all the work you have put in on it, it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Gary
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
travlin-easy is offline  
 
post #694 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Chastened
 
Ajax_MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 4,862
Thanks: 10
Thanked 145 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Nighttime delivery to Solomon's tonight. 10kts of breeze and cooler temps. This will stage the boat for my vacation next week.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Ajax_MD is offline  
post #695 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Me: VA Boat: Deale, MD
Posts: 1,233
Thanks: 127
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Dan, is your boat in the water now? After all the work you have put in on it, it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Gary
Unfortunately no. Not yet.

Work day in the boat today though. Making progress a little at a time.
CalebD likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
Rhapsody-NS27 is online now  
post #696 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,685
Thanks: 66
Thanked 169 Times in 162 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We’re anchored at Dobbins Island. We’ll be out of here in a couple hours before too many crazies arrive.

We left Rock Hall around 2 yesterday, after resolving a couple issues related to extended non-use of the boat (one water tank was foul, needed shocking, etc). Depth finder never missed a beat, so one of the things I did must have worked. Winds were light at first, but I was determined to sail, so we settled for 2 kts at the beginning. We saw dolfins(!!!) just outside the Swan Point bar. I’d never heard of them coming this far up the bay. Winds picked up nicely (but still gentle) for the second half of our trip, allowing us to hit 5-5.5 kts sustained, and a brief moment at 6 kts. It was a great sail, and much needed given our lack of sailing time this year. We arrived around 5:30, a little longer than normal for this trip.

There were about 18 boats anchored near the beach, but all but a few were gone by sunset. Immediately after anchoring we jumped in for a swim. The dog is a good swimmer, but seemed a little panicked, clinging to my wife a lot. He took to the dinghy ride real well, taking in all the wildlife around us. First we dinghied to the beach and walked around outside the high water mark, then we motored over to Grays Creek and Atlantic Marina, just to check things out. Dinner was grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and canteloupe.

I spent an hour installing the Navisafe lights for a nighttime trip to shore, but we decided to take the dog on a walk around the boat first just in case he suddenly catches on and pees on the green mat. I turned on the deck lights so he would see it lying in front of the mast, he sniffed around it (I had taken a urine specimen at home and poured it onto the mat) and immediately peed. Eureka! Big reward! This morning we did the same thing, and he peed on command.

It’s been great having the dog, but with the heat coming and the inability to take him into air conditioned restaurants, we’re probably going to return to Rock Hall today and take him home. We hope to return to the boat tomorrow and head out for a couple nights by ourselves. We’ll definintely bring him along again when temperatures are a little more moderate.

Before leaving we’ll pump out the bleachy shock water and rinse the tank, and also empty the other tank and shock it as a precaution (it seems fine, and we’re using it now).

Sorry we missed you RZS, but sounds like you were out earlier in the day.
Great news on training Fido.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #697 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Somewhat near Naptown
Posts: 203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We saw dolfins(!!!) just outside the Swan Point bar. I’d never heard of them coming this far up the bay.
There was a pod of dolphins in the Rhode River Monday afternoon - it might have been the same group.
slap is online now  
post #698 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 4,868
Thanks: 22
Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Lots of activity on Ch16 today. Capsized boat with 7 children off Sandy Point (deja vu, T37chef?). Panpan quickly called off, so hopefully a successful outcome. Two 40+ foot sailboats collided in Patapsco. (Don’t know if they were racing) And, as often the case, a transient missed a perimeter marker at dead low tide in Rock Hall Harbor, running aground. That’s so easy to do at the end of a long, sweaty day, which is why I still follow a plotted course to get in.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-30-2018 at 08:06 PM.
TakeFive is offline  
post #699 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,685
Thanks: 66
Thanked 169 Times in 162 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
There was a pod of dolphins in the Rhode River Monday afternoon - it might have been the same group.
We’ve seen dolphins this year off of Love Pt , Eastern Bay and at least 5 of our six days on vacation from the Pautuxat to the Rhappohanok. More prevalent the last few years indicating that the Bay may be in better health.

This year we saw many many rays sunning themselves on the surface when we crossed the Potomac.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is online now  
post #700 of 1159 Old 06-30-2018
Senior Member
 
travlin-easy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland - USA
Posts: 6,602
Thanks: 1
Thanked 121 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Went to the boat today, 93 degrees in the cabin, so I fired up the AC and within 30 minutes it was down to 78 degrees, a bit warm, but comfortable enough to get some work done. After about 30 minutes of work, I popped the top on a Coors Light, then drove home. On the way I stopped at Mc Donald's and purchased a smokey bacon burger, which was pretty darned good - I was pleasantly surprised. Its' a bit overpriced, but it was tasty.

Tomorrow, the weather forecast is for a code red air pollution alert, so I'm not leaving the ranch. Just gonna sit around and sip Jim Bean Honey Bourbon and watch big screen TV.

Be careful out there, sailors,

Gary
travlin-easy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake chef2sail Chesapeake Bay 1315 12-31-2017 10:09 AM
Transpac 2018 Lazerbrains General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-11-2017 09:55 AM
2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake SVAuspicious Chesapeake Bay 1895 01-07-2017 04:44 PM
2015 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake SVAuspicious Chesapeake Bay 434 01-03-2016 05:29 PM
Is the Chesapeake sailing season beginning? teshannon Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 41 12-23-2007 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome