2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 71 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #701 of 1159 Old 07-01-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Went to the boat today, 93 degrees in the cabin, so I fired up the AC and within 30 minutes it was down to 78 degrees, a bit warm, but comfortable enough to get some work done. After about 30 minutes of work, I popped the top on a Coors Light, then drove home. On the way I stopped at Mc Donald's and purchased a smokey bacon burger, which was pretty darned good - I was pleasantly surprised. Its' a bit overpriced, but it was tasty.

Tomorrow, the weather forecast is for a code red air pollution alert, so I'm not leaving the ranch. Just gonna sit around and sip Jim Bean Honey Bourbon and watch big screen TV.

Be careful out there, sailors,

Gary
very toasty out there. Took my AC unit to the boat yesterday. Helped keep the cabin temperature down. Even though it got upto low 80s in the cabin, it felt cool enough to still do some things. Better still than if I was without. As soon as I turned it off to head back to the house, temperature shot up and I was sweating buckets.

Yesterday was a good work day. Back when I got some work done on my mast, the rigging shop also added a tube on the mast step for wires to pass through. The opening used to be flush with the step and any water could easily get down past the wires that was only held in place with a sealant. In order to get that to fit on deck again, I had to make the hole on the top plate of the compression post bigger. Finally got the mast step to sit flush with the deck. Now, I just need to seal it and bolt it down. While I thought of using butyl that everyone seems to enjoy using, I'm thinking of going with 4200 or Sikaflex 291 instead. I don't think the mast step will be coming off the boat again for a long time.

Picture 1: tube from the top of the mast step
Picture 2: The metal part on this picture is the top plate of the compression post.
Picture 3: mast step before sanding
Picture 4: after sanding the surface
Picture 5: made the bolt holes a little wider for the sealant to compress against the bolts.

I think at this point, I could technically get the mast up but the boat still wouldn't be ready for a while. At least this is one project that's (almost) out of the way. I still have plenty to keep me busy. At least now, once the mast step is sealed up, I can get rid of the tarps covering it.

anyway. Refit continues.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
-Paul Carvel

Last edited by Rhapsody-NS27; 07-01-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 1159 Old 07-01-2018

while the tube in the base of the mast is a good thing, you also should have a tube inside the mast. The thing that annoys me the most is when I'm trying to sleep in an anchorage and there is a slight roll from the waves and those damned wires are banging inside the mast. Almost sounds like someone is beating on the mast with a ball pean hammer.

Good luck,

Gary
post #703 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

We had a beautiful nighttime sail to Solomon's. Anchored in the creek next to the little island around 2am, with a perfect breeze through the V-berth hatch.
The boat is now staged for our vacation which begins this Wednesday.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #704 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018

I did the Northern Bay race week races on Sunday as crew. Windward/leeward courses. Packed the spinnaker 4 times down below and the cabin must have been 110 degrees. Looked like I just got out of the shower when I came back up on deck. I was so dehydrated I didn't even want to drink a beer at the end of the race. Unheard of!
chef2sail likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #705 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
I did the Northern Bay race week races on Sunday as crew. Windward/leeward courses. Packed the spinnaker 4 times down below and the cabin must have been 110 degrees. Looked like I just got out of the shower when I came back up on deck. I was so dehydrated I didn't even want to drink a beer at the end of the race. Unheard of!
Yup, it's brutal down in the sewer. I also have been known to decline alcohol until I'm rehydrated. During our night sail we ate chilled sub sandwiches for dinner and chilled, sliced peaches for dessert from the local farm. I find that produce with a high water content really helps as opposed to salty snacks like chips, energy bars and nuts.

post #706 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
... vacation from the Pautuxat to the Rhappohanok.
I was going to make a snarky comment about lack of spelling conventions on this site, but then I realized this started with none other than Captain John Smith, master explorer of the Chesapeake, flouter of English orthography and eschewer of traditional fishing gear:

“A few Bevers, Otters, Beares, Martins and minkes we found, and in divers places
that aboundance of fish, lying so thicke with their heads above the water, as for want
of nets (our barge driving amongst them) we attempted to catch them with a frying
pan: but we found it a bad instrument to catch fish with: neither better fish, more
plenty, nor more variety for smal fish, had any of us ever seene in any place so
swimming in the water, but they are not to be caught with frying pans.”

Captain John Smith, 1608
Ajax_MD likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 07-02-2018 at 08:55 AM.
post #707 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I was going to make a snarky comment about lack of spelling conventions on this site, but then I realized this started with none other than Captain John Smith, master explorer of the Chesapeake, flouter of English orthography and eschewer of traditional fishing gear:

A few Bevers, Otters, Beares, Martins and minkes we found, and in divers places
that aboundance of fish, lying so thicke with their heads above the water, as for want
of nets (our barge driving amongst them) we attempted to catch them with a frying
pan: but we found it a bad instrument to catch fish with: neither better fish, more
plenty, nor more variety for smal fish, had any of us ever seene in any place so
swimming in the water, but they are not to be caught with frying pans.

Captain John Smith, 1608
How's the boat work going, Willy? Be back in the water for the holiday?

The forecast is getting better and better with the heatwave breaking and even a little breeze in the forecast each day.

post #708 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We saw dolfins(!!!) just outside the Swan Point bar. Id never heard of them coming this far up the bay.
We had a pod of dolphins in Herring Bay a week ago Saturday! I've never seen them that far up either, but it was awesome.

Spent this Saturday past anchored in front of Chesapeake Beach for the fireworks display. It was outstanding.

Hopefully another township will step up on Wednesday night.
post #709 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
How's the boat work going, Willy? Be back in the water for the holiday?

The forecast is getting better and better with the heatwave breaking and even a little breeze in the forecast each day.
I finished up yesterday, nearly dying from the heat. I think I drank a gallon and a half of water. I ended up installing a Taco Marine vinyl rubrail. The boat goes back into the water today and I'll sail it home this afternoon/evening.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #710 of 1159 Old 07-02-2018

We took the dog home Saturday night and returned to the boat last night. We finighed rinsing the shock water out of the 2nd tank and slept in blissful air conditioning.

We left the dock at 0700 this morning. We went through Kent Narrows at high tide slack. My first time through the narrows, so I wanted to do it at slack on a weekday morning. Believe it or not, this was also my first time going through a draw bridge, so I just had to pick a tiny one!

Were almost to St. Michaels, where well anchor for awhile. If heat is too oppressive, well move over to Miles River Yacht Club to plug in for A/C, and jump in their pool. Back home tomorrow morning.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in