2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 73 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #721 of 1159 Old 07-04-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
My vacation starts this afternoon. I'm sitting at work like I've got ants in my pants. I've got one gov't employee who wants to make absolutely sure that he's done everything possible to ruin my vacation before I head out.

The heatwave breaks beginning today. I'm stoked about the forecast.
Mine ends tomorrow. Been pinging around the bay doing the "Trawler with a stick" thing since Friday. Spring Cove, Vera's White Sands, Zahnizers and 2 nights at Brewers in Oxford. Yesterday was the absolute worst heat wise.

This was not my plan but with the heat advisory the plan was changed to go from a cruise to a pool dash with AC at a Marina every day.

Despite the heat and lack of sailing its been a relaxing and mostly enjoyable few days.

Hopefully we'll get a few hours of sailing on the way home tomorrow.
chef2sail and 4arch like this.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1159 Old 07-05-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Well, my wife and I have our first sailing trip planned for July 12-14, weather permitting. Depending on the wind forecasts we'll either head toward Annapolis, the Magothy, or Rock Hall. I never trust the forecasts this far out, so I have to remind myself not to check it. Hopefully the weather will be good. Basically I think only a thunderstorm will nix this trip.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.
post #723 of 1159 Old 07-06-2018

Been out and about since last Sunday... currently anchored in a beautiful cove on St. Leonard Creek off the Patuxent.

Forecast says we should sail south a few days...
PalmettoSailor and chef2sail like this.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #724 of 1159 Old 07-06-2018

Took my 11-year-old grandson sailing yesterday, but never got to sail. The forecasted winds of 7 to 12 kts never materialized, and shortly after we motored down the Havre de Grace Channel, the weather radar on my phone showed we were surrounded by bad stuff, so we just motored back to the marina, put the sail cover back on and drove home.

The weekend forecast looks quite promising, with temperatures in the low 80s and dry conditions. HA! They usually lie.

Just another typical day in the Chesapeake's uppermost reaches,

Gary
post #725 of 1159 Old 07-06-2018

Sleeping in the slip tonight. Dog will wake up at first light, so we’ll head out early. We like to visit Annapolis once a season, and weather looks perfect for a city stopover. We hope to get there early enough to score a mooring ball. Fly back to Milwaukee on Sunday night, so it’s a one-nighter.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #726 of 1159 Old 07-06-2018

Rick, you have to stop all that workin' stuff - it messes with your sailing too much. This should a fantastic weekend for sailing the Chesapeake.

Good luck,

Gary
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #727 of 1159 Old 07-07-2018

We left the dock at 0700 this morning and arrived in Annapolis Harbor at 1000. Vigorous downwind sail coming here with in 16 kt breeze and lumpy seas requiring constant attention to avoid a gybe. There were 3 balls available in the front 40 when we arrived, but a lot of boats left at 1100, and there are over a dozen available now. It’s a gorgeous, cool day with 9 kt northeast breeze through the harbor. Dog peed on command on the foredeck, so we can take our time dropping the dinghy and just relax for awhile.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #728 of 1159 Old 07-07-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We left the dock at 0700 this morning and arrived in Annapolis Harbor at 1000. Vigorous downwind sail coming here with in 16 kt breeze and lumpy seas requiring constant attention to avoid a gybe. There were 3 balls available in the front 40 when we arrived, but a lot of boats left at 1100, and there are over a dozen available now. It’s a gorgeous, cool day with 9 kt northeast breeze through the harbor. Dog peed on command on the foredeck, so we can take our time dropping the dinghy and just relax for awhile.
Good to hear Fido is catching on.

Would love to be out today. Tried to convince Nurse Cratchet but only got a stare. Tomorrow we will visit Haleakula. She may allow me to motor some to knock any potential slime buildup in the last two weeks off, we will see.

Dead downwind.....Can you rig a preventor on the toe rail ?that way you never have to worry about an accidental gybe when the rocky Rollie’s hit from behind.

I forget , on your Catalina , is it a tall rig? Swept back spreaders?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #729 of 1159 Old 07-07-2018

It’s a short enough hop that a preventer was too much trouble. We were downwind, but not DDW. We avoided DDW by keeping the wind off the starboard quarter, then gybed back before we got in the western shipping lanes. The second leg was more pleasant because chop was more directly behind us even though wind was well off the stern port quarter. But it all needed hand steering because the periodicity of the swells causes autopilot to oscillate wildly no matter how I tweak gain.

Boat is tall mast version, 3’ taller than standard, but no bow sprit. Spreaders straight sideways.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #730 of 1159 Old 07-07-2018

If you have never ventured up the Nanticoke River I highly suggest giving it a whirl. Motored, Sailed, Motored to a stunning sport up the Nanticoke. Winds howling but the current vs. the wind kept the bow into the current over the wind. Quit remarkable for the Chesapeake in my experience. I could hang on this river for several days exploring and chilling.

Maybe the Rappahannock tomorrow? Decisions um...

Shawn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in