2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 74 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #731 of 1159 Old 07-08-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We anchored at the mouth of the Nanicoke and Tangier Sound. Donna live up at the headwaters once and said how beautiful it was, wesaw lots of gravel barges coming back and forth while we anchored so there must be a quart close by.

What did you see?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #732 of 1159 Old 07-08-2018 Thread Starter

I got to go for a small short sail today ....13 days after back surgery. Don’t want to push it. No pain anymore is a good 5hing.
We caught a few mooring in Clements Creek for the afternoon and took naps.
Glad to be out and about
T37Chef, 4arch, TakeFive and 1 others like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #733 of 1159 Old 07-08-2018

Overall a great weekend for sailing. Winds very fickle at mid-day today, 8 kts one minute, 1 kt the next.
Attached Thumbnails
760D0C3F-F1FA-4592-8B3B-F15E55A48E4E.jpeg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #734 of 1159 Old 07-08-2018

I can't believe our good fortune so far...

Taking is easy this trip with absolutely no itinerary except wind considerations. Today was about as beautiful to sail as one could ask, especially for July. Winds made for an awesome sail down Tangier Sound to Chrisfield. Averaged 6 knots SOG. Anchored off the Coast Guard station accross from Somers Cove marina. Probably going to hang here tomorrow and explore some of the islands and beaches near by.

I feel so fortunate to be out enjoying the Chesapeake... maybe Tangier Island or shot back across the bay and visit Mill Creek South of Reedville?

Weather looks great for the coming week!

Cheers Bay sailors.
4arch likes this.

Shawn

post #735 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

For me, it was the best sailing weekend of the year. The NW winds blew all the water out of the lower Susquehanna River, and I had to wait a couple hours for the tide to come up enough to be able to plow through the mud at the marina. Shortly after getting below the Amtrak Bridge at Havre de Grace, I raised the sails and sailed 21 miles down to Worton Creek, dropped the sails and spent a comfortable night inside the creek. I was too lazy to cook something on the grill, so I just wolfed down a can of Chef Boyarde Overstuffed Italian Sausage Ravioli then filled a red Solo cup with ice cubes and topped it off with some Jim Bean Honey Bourbon. Oh Yeah!

Temperatures during the night fell into the low 60s, which made for good sleeping weather and not having to fire up the genny and AC.

I woke up about 8 a.m., had some apple flavored Quaker Oats Oatmeal for breakfast, a cup of coffee, then motored out of the creek and was greeted with 10 to 15 out of the northwest at the mouth of the creek and chilly temperatures. I quickly raised the sails, and spent the next several hours on long tacks back up the bay until I reached the too end of Spesutia Island, at which point the wind dropped to zero and the temperature rose to 90 degrees.

All of the usual anchorage haunts were filled to capacity with boats last night, you needed to take a number to get into Still Pond, and the mouth of Worten Creek had 19 sailboats and a dozen powerboats anchored there. Inside the back end of the creek, there were only about a half dozen sailboats and three powerboats, which is where I opted to anchor for the night.

Saw lots of eagles today, one of which I thought was gonna land on the bow of the boat, but it just swooped down a few feet in front of the boat and snatched a catfish from the surface. Unfortunately, I didn't have the camera ready - things like often happen much too quickly for a photo.

All the best,

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
post #736 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I can't believe our good fortune so far...

Taking is easy this trip with absolutely no itinerary except wind considerations. Today was about as beautiful to sail as one could ask, especially for July. Winds made for an awesome sail down Tangier Sound to Chrisfield. Averaged 6 knots SOG. Anchored off the Coast Guard station accross from Somers Cove marina. Probably going to hang here tomorrow and explore some of the islands and beaches near by.

I feel so fortunate to be out enjoying the Chesapeake... maybe Tangier Island or shot back across the bay and visit Mill Creek South of Reedville?

Weather looks great for the coming week!

Cheers Bay sailors.

Mill Creek is a nice place...far enough from the fish factory stench
Any of those northern neck Creeks are cool. We’ve done Indian , Prentice, this year Dymer and Antipoisson. All great anchorages.

You’ve had a perfect week and more to come.
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #737 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Overall a great weekend for sailing. Winds very fickle at mid-day today, 8 kts one minute, 1 kt the next.
Today was a river end wind day.

Mid Bay not close to a river entrance....confused and light.....ends of rivers...great wind

The racers in Annapolis experienced 12-15 all day on their courses at the end of the Severn South Rivers and Whitehall Bay and had loads of fun and competition. Mainly of of NE all day.

Thought about you guys moored Inn Annnapolis as we went by the entrance as we went up the Severn
Usually NE or N wind make the mooring anchorage rolling and clanging

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #738 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

We returned yesterday from a 5-day mini cruise. Started Wednesday motoring from the Patapsco to the Rhode River, anchoring near High Island. When we dropped the hook around 3 PM, the anchorage was packed, mostly with small powerboats congregated near Flat Island. By 8 PM almost everybody cleared out and - but for one other sailboat - we had the entire anchorage to ourselves. Unfortunately, anchoring out on a humid, windless, 90-something degree day made us all pretty miserable but we did catch about three different fireworks displays.

For a long time I didn’t really believe in air conditioning on a boat but then we bought a boat that had it and I was thrilled with how much more bearable it makes summer overnighting. I kind of feel the same way about generators on boats, but a little portable unit running our A/C Wednesday night would have been wonderful and with what marinas are charging for transient dockage might not take too long to pay back.

Seeking relief from the heat, we weighed anchor early Thursday morning determined to take a slip somewhere with a pool. We ended up at Knapps Narrows Marina. We had been there several years ago but had been avoiding it recently due to shoaling. With the recent dredging, we decided to give it another try. We approached near low tide and never saw less than 7.5 feet. Tied up to the floating pier with front row seats to the narrows boat traffic. The marina’s great – big pool, clean facilities, nice lounge, free bikes, free courtesy car, free continental breakfast, good restaurants in walking distance – all for only $2/foot. I’d happily go back again.

Friday we again left relatively early to beat what was forecast to be a stormy afternoon. Decided to head east through the Narrows to Oxford and take a slip again to continue enjoying the blissful A/C. We returned to the Oxford Yacht Agency marina near the head of Town Creek. Its only amenities are clean bathrooms, but at $1/foot there’s not much to complain about. We walked to Scottish Highland Creamery for a midday treat and then took the kids to the waterfront park. The swingset there probably has the best view of any playground equipment in the state. Friday nights in Oxford are sleepy so the kids went to bed early and we gave our decks a much needed swabbing.

We learned on this trip are that the transmissions coming out of our VHF sound horribly distorted although receive is fine. Also learned that the masthead wind instrument has lost its ability to calculate true wind speed while the boat is underway. Considering some of this boat’s electronics are old enough to drink, drive, and vote, it may be time to consider some replacements.

Anyway, by Saturday morning the humidity had lifted and temps dropped but the winds were howling. We decided to wait and by mid-morning they had abated enough to make a run for it. The marina owner was there to help us off the dock and we were back underway. We had a nice sail out of the Choptank and up the bay until the wind lightened. Headed to the West River where we anchored in a packed anchorage. We dinghied over to an extremely crowded Pirates Cove for dinner then when we got back to the boat saw two more fireworks displays. We saw what we thought was Sailnet moderator JeffH’s Synergy anchored a few boats away from us, but by the time we were headed back from the restaurant the girls were too exhausted to head over to say hello.

Up early again Sunday morning and the unfortunately motored with wind on the nose back to the Patapsco. When we got back to the marina I found the engine bilge full of water and discovered an egg-sized bulge on the side of the hose connecting the heat exchanger to the mixing elbow. Thank goodness it only leaked and didn’t burst while underway.

All in all a great trip though and the girls really had a lot of fun seeing a new place every day.
drew1711, T37Chef, willyd and 1 others like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #739 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We returned yesterday from a 5-day mini cruise. Started Wednesday motoring from the Patapsco to the Rhode River, anchoring near High Island. When we dropped the hook around 3 PM, the anchorage was packed, mostly with small powerboats congregated near Flat Island. By 8 PM almost everybody cleared out and - but for one other sailboat - we had the entire anchorage to ourselves. Unfortunately, anchoring out on a humid, windless, 90-something degree day made us all pretty miserable but we did catch about three different fireworks displays.

For a long time I didn’t really believe in air conditioning on a boat but then we bought a boat that had it and I was thrilled with how much more bearable it makes summer overnighting. I kind of feel the same way about generators on boats, but a little portable unit running our A/C Wednesday night would have been wonderful and with what marinas are charging for transient dockage might not take too long to pay back.

Seeking relief from the heat, we weighed anchor early Thursday morning determined to take a slip somewhere with a pool. We ended up at Knapps Narrows Marina. We had been there several years ago but had been avoiding it recently due to shoaling. With the recent dredging, we decided to give it another try. We approached near low tide and never saw less than 7.5 feet. Tied up to the floating pier with front row seats to the narrows boat traffic. The marina’s great – big pool, clean facilities, nice lounge, free bikes, free courtesy car, free continental breakfast, good restaurants in walking distance – all for only $2/foot. I’d happily go back again.

Friday we again left relatively early to beat what was forecast to be a stormy afternoon. Decided to head east through the Narrows to Oxford and take a slip again to continue enjoying the blissful A/C. We returned to the Oxford Yacht Agency marina near the head of Town Creek. Its only amenities are clean bathrooms, but at $1/foot there’s not much to complain about. We walked to Scottish Highland Creamery for a midday treat and then took the kids to the waterfront park. The swingset there probably has the best view of any playground equipment in the state. Friday nights in Oxford are sleepy so the kids went to bed early and we gave our decks a much needed swabbing.

We learned on this trip are that the transmissions coming out of our VHF sound horribly distorted although receive is fine. Also learned that the masthead wind instrument has lost its ability to calculate true wind speed while the boat is underway. Considering some of this boat’s electronics are old enough to drink, drive, and vote, it may be time to consider some replacements.

Anyway, by Saturday morning the humidity had lifted and temps dropped but the winds were howling. We decided to wait and by mid-morning they had abated enough to make a run for it. The marina owner was there to help us off the dock and we were back underway. We had a nice sail out of the Choptank and up the bay until the wind lightened. Headed to the West River where we anchored in a packed I anchorage. We dinghied over to an extremely crowded Pirates Cove for dinner then when we got back to the boat saw two more fireworks displays. We saw what we thought was Sailnet moderator JeffH’s Synergy anchored a few boats away from us, but by the time we were headed back from the restaurant the girls were too exhausted to head over to say hello.

Up early again Sunday morning and the unfortunately motored with wind on the nose back to the Patapsco. When we got back to the marina I found the engine bilge full of water and discovered an egg-sized bulge on the side of the hose connecting the heat exchanger to the mixing elbow. Thank goodness it only leaked and didn’t burst while underway.

All in all a great trip though and the girls really had a lot of fun seeing a new place every day.

Sounds like a great trip. You have found the balance of keeping the girls happy with sailing and getting some anchor time.

As you know we love the Choptank. Good to know about the depth in the Narrows. Having the amenities of a pool car for taking a slip make the expense more bearable. Next time down that way try the back door to St Mikes on San Domingo if you haven’t already , lus the many anchorages in the area like Boby Owl Cove and the surrounding Creeks.

Your comments about a generator to run the air con are understood, but that also means carrying gas on board ( I think you have a gas outboard). And positioning it correctly. The Honda 2000 can run you air conditioning to make it more bearable it’s the startup jolt requirements that you need to overcome, but they can be found. You have a perfect place to put the generator on your scoop also.

Comfort on a boat is important and the comfort of the crew even more paramount. It makes it easier to be out when everyone is happy and sleeps well not sleeping a a pool of sweat. It’s one thing when it’s only adults....another when kids are involved. I remember looks I used to get as we added things to the racer Haleakula to make it the cruiser/ racer she is now. It’s our home away from home. Anything which makes it easier to stay overnight is a plus. It takes the the same number of trips to set up for one night on board as a weekend or even 5. You still need to bring the toys, distractions etc. Good to see you increasing the duration as Josie gets more acclimated. Mallory already is comfortable. It’s great seeing you guys progress from the minimalists you were to where you thinking now to making it more comfortable. Not that there is anything wrong for the minimalist bend, but your crew will be happier. Kids have a habit of changing everything......I mean everything. It doesn’t mean your getting soft or are less a sailor.

Also we are lucky the unbearable type heat only lasts a short time , 6 weeks or so. The rest of the time without the humidity it’s quite nice for the other 7+ months of sailing season.

So who won the bet about me getting out after my surgery? I know that it will take some time for me to come back. Yesterday was an easy day, but I am not prepared yet for a jarring heavy wind steering day.
I need to stay away from repetitive motions for a while which put pressure on that area, till I build up. My strength. As well I am much more aware of body mechanics. When young that doesn’t make a difference, but I can see now how it means a big deal. ( lol I am sure my friend Gary may comment . We are not the far apart age wise though. I admire his persistence in pushing through his issues to continue his passion of being on the boat)

Being on the boat is way more than the balls to the wall sailing I used to do. I was very thankful to see from my brief time out yesterday that there will be no curtailing sailing for us. You never know when your time may be up.....when physically you must be careful. My times not near being up, but having dealt with 5his injury the last 6 months certainly made me think more and more about that. None of us are invinceable. It’s important to live life all along not just set things up for later in life.

Hope we all can reconnect in the fall again somewhere out on the Bay
4arch likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #740 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

If you are in the market for a generator for your AC, Honda has a new one that is incredible - the Honda 2100i, which I recently purchased. It is incredibly quiet, and with my 14,000 BTU air conditioner, flat screen TV, refrigerator/freezer and battery charger running, it never struggled at all. Additionally, it is very, very quiet and to put this to the test, I asked a friend to listen for it from the cockpit of his boat, which is docked just 75 feet away. He said he could not hear it until he got within 25 feet of my boat while walking down the pier, and it was quiet enough so that while sitting in the cockpit of the boat with the generator running, we could hold a normal level conversation. I love it!

Good luck,

Gary
4arch and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in