2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 75 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #741 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So who won the bet about me getting out after my surgery? I know that it will take some time for me to come back. Yesterday was an easy day, but I am not prepared yet for a jarring heavy wind steering day.
I need to stay away from repetitive motions for a while which put pressure on that area, till I build up. My strength. As well I am much more aware of body mechanics. When young that doesn’t make a difference, but I can see now how it means a big deal.
Dave - really glad your surgery went well and your pain is relieved and hoping for a quick recovery for you.

We'll probably be down in your neck of the woods to deliver the boat to Bert Jabins within the next few weeks. I decided to submit my bent toe rail that I had posted about a couple months back as an insurance claim. To attempt to repair properly I would have needed to take a whole week off work. Quicker repairs always would have looked half-assed and we plan on keeping the boat a long time. Annapolis Yacht Sales service division will be performing the repair since they are the local Beneteau dealer.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #742 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

Dave, glad you had a successful surgery. My advice, take it easy, don't lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for at least the next three months, and play it safe. For me, nearly every day is a day of constant back pain, and unfortunately, surgery is no longer an option in my case. I just have to cope with the pain using a combination of booze and morphine.

Be careful out there and let that good looking gal you're married to take care of the heavy stuff.

Good luck,

Gary
post #743 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Y'all are making me more excited to be out on the water this weekend! I'm debating on Annapolis vs the Magothy for Thursday-Saturday from Sandy Point State Park. The wind predictions I'm seeing make me lean toward Annapolis and maybe Luce Creek.

Regarding the moorings in Annapolis - how strict are they on their noon check-out time? My wife and I would like to take the water taxi in for breakfast, but if they start running at 0930, we may not make it back to the boat exactly at noon. Any thoughts?

post #744 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Been out sailing since July 4th. We anchored in Cornfield Harbor last night since the breeze was out of the northeast and the harbor was protected.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1531136832570_1531165742367.jpg  
T37Chef, willyd, oldlaxer1 and 1 others like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #745 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

Forgot to mention earlier that we saw dolphins off Gibson Island yesterday! Apparently there have been other sightings in the central bay. I've seen them down near Solomons before, but never this far north.
oldlaxer1 likes this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #746 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Forgot to mention earlier that we saw dolphins off Gibson Island yesterday! Apparently there have been other sightings in the central bay. I've seen them down near Solomons before, but never this far north.
That's so awesome! I hope they stay the week - we've never seen dolphins from the boat.
post #747 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

Back in June this year we were anchored in East River of Mobjack Bay. I stepped outside around two AM and was surrounded in the dark by dolphins blowing. Just the coolest thing.
T37Chef likes this.
post #748 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018

Well, I'm glad everyone seems to have had a glorious weekend. Saturday afternoon was great for me. Wind was a little fickle, but humidity was low and that was a nice change.

I went across and landed for supper on Tilghman Island. A cheeseburger and a beer hit the spot and I left Knapp's Narrows at sunset.

What I got on the way home was honestly the worst butt kicking I have ever had on the Bay. The wind had shifted Easterly and picked up, hard. It was dark, but seas had to have been running five feet at least and I could hear every third swell breaking behind me.

Running DDW, GPS was hitting six knots under reefed main alone (boat is 22' LWL). We were tossed like a cork in a washing machine. The rolling was so bad I was concerned, borderline scared, a cockpit coaming would break below the water and pin me in a broach before a breaking wave. Autopilot was useless and I was exhausted keeping the boat under control. I made it home safe, thanks be to God.

A wise old man once said sailing was tranquility punctuated by terror. I think he was right.
post #749 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Glad you made it home safely, @drew1711 . Sounds rough - I can't say I've seen the bay that way yet. And after your description, I'm not sure I want to.
post #750 of 1159 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Y'all are making me more excited to be out on the water this weekend! I'm debating on Annapolis vs the Magothy for Thursday-Saturday from Sandy Point State Park. The wind predictions I'm seeing make me lean toward Annapolis and maybe Luce Creek.

Regarding the moorings in Annapolis - how strict are they on their noon check-out time? My wife and I would like to take the water taxi in for breakfast, but if they start running at 0930, we may not make it back to the boat exactly at noon. Any thoughts?
Strict enforcement as they are at a premium and other boats will be there early circling to get a mooring as they want to ha e the day in Annapolis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in