2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 78 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #771 of 1159 Old 07-16-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
There has never been a time when I didn't have my handheld VHF turned on and by my side in a small pocket that attaches to the cockpit hull with suction cups. Keep my Cell phone there as well.

As for breaking the rules - NEVER with the radio, though I admit to peeing over the gunwale when I was younger and able to do so.

Gary
Come on now my friend.....by your own posts and rules you sometimes have a drink or two and then drive home.....that’s breaking the rules and the law, and far more serious than peeing over the side or not turning your radio on.

I’ll bet there are more water injuries and deaths caused by alcohol consumption than not turning your vhf on.

Make sure when standing on a mountain criticizing others transgressions when you stand in judgement of others that you are not standing directly on quicksand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #772 of 1159 Old 07-16-2018

I had a breathalyzer in the car and ever got close to .08, which is the bad number. Keep in mind that I was a state trooper for a year, and I got to see drunks on the road on a regular basis. If I were close to .08 I would have called someone to drive me home, Dave. Give me a break.

Gary
post #773 of 1159 Old 07-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
I had a breathalyzer in the car and ever got close to .08, which is the bad number. Keep in mind that I was a state trooper for a year, and I got to see drunks on the road on a regular basis. If I were close to .08 I would have called someone to drive me home, Dave. Give me a break.

Gary
Driving impaired and under the influence doesn’t require a .08. As a former state trooper, you should know that. Having any drink dulls you reaction time , period. Any quibbling about that is just a justification and rationalization.

Your sanctimonious emphasized with caps comment about “NEVER” not turning the VHF off brought this up and I felt aimed at me as it followed a group of comments when I posted I turned mine off.

My point is Just pointing out that there are no perfect people. Criticizing others opens you up to being criticized yourself . When you stand In judgement of others you should be ok with being judged yourself.

Driving a car after drinking any booze doesn’t even compare with not having a VHF turned on.

I am fully aware that the fact that Shaun had his on save quite a few lives a few years back. Thank god he had.

I would rather not listen to the idiots on the weekend talking smack. I have enough of that all week. My boat is my sanctuary from that.

Let’s let this go

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #774 of 1159 Old 07-18-2018

Dave, maybe you better check out those prescription glasses of yours and read what I said again about NEVER. As for breaking the rules - NEVER with the radio, though I admit to peeing over the gunwale when I was younger and able to do so.

Climb down off the high horse, Dave. I never mentioned anything about turning the VHF on or off, just that I didn't and wouldn't break the FCC rules of communication with that particular device.

As for drinking, then driving home - yep, I've done that but after working for the Maryland State Police and the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit, I got to see the results first hand of people getting blasted then climbing behind the wheel. I value the my life and the life of others too much to even consider doing this. Though I often thought I was more than capable of driving safely after a couple Margarettas, I relied on the breathalyzer reading just to be on the safe side. If there was ever any question in my mind, I let my wife drive - she rarely drinks anything stronger than soda pop.

Nuff said!

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 07-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.
post #775 of 1159 Old 07-18-2018 Thread Starter

I must of misunderstood as the posting started about turning OFF the VHF in order not to be bothered by the babble on it. I apologize if I took it differently

My post spoke about standing in judgement

Gary, many of us have had to deal with the effects of alcohol and people driving under the influence. It is/ has been an epidemic in our country for many years. You don’t have to be a state trooper or work in a trauma center to see/ experience the effects. There are no subject matter experts on this topic. Including you or I. Almost every body has probably been touched or has an experience with this. I have worked in an industry where it is part of the norm. I have owned and managed operations which serve alcohol.

You don’t have to be blasted. Impairment comes at lower levels than .08.Thats a rationalization to think it doesn’t , to justify behavior. I’m not against drinking at all....I love my red wine. However I would not operate a boat / car after consuming it. That’s just me though

Let’s stay friends and not go further with this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #776 of 1159 Old 07-19-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Now, back to your regularly scheduled sailing programming...

My wife and I are going to take a 4-5 day jaunt around the Chesapeake in late September, leaving from (you guessed it) Sandy Point.

What are the winds like at that time of year? Does anyone have suggested places to travel in that time? I would think we could possibly get to Solomon's, or tool around St. Michael's and Tilghman Island... Then again, maybe heading up the Bay would be better at that time of year?

I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts.
post #777 of 1159 Old 07-19-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Now, back to your regularly scheduled sailing programming...

My wife and I are going to take a 4-5 day jaunt around the Chesapeake in late September, leaving from (you guessed it) Sandy Point.

What are the winds like at that time of year? Does anyone have suggested places to travel in that time? I would think we could possibly get to Solomon's, or tool around St. Michael's and Tilghman Island... Then again, maybe heading up the Bay would be better at that time of year?

I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts.
Around that time, you can get wind from either north or south. You have to watch the forecast and see what (if any) fronts are predicted to pass through.

If you get northerlies, St. Mikes, the Choptank or Solomons are all good destinations.
If you get southerlies, destinations in the Chester River, Swan Creek (Rock Hall), the Corsica River and perhaps Baltimore are good destination.

Have an (A) itinerary and a (B) itinerary.
Rezz likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #778 of 1159 Old 07-19-2018

Had a great day sailing in the upper bay yesterday. Winds were consistently 12 to 18 NW. Sailed down to Betterton and tacked back to Battery Island, then fired up the tin lizzy and motored the last four miles back to the marina. Mild temperatures in the low 80s with low humidity made for a comfortable day on the water.

Cheers,

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
post #779 of 1159 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Had a great day sailing in the upper bay yesterday. Winds were consistently 12 to 18 NW. Sailed down to Betterton and tacked back to Battery Island, then fired up the tin lizzy and motored the last four miles back to the marina. Mild temperatures in the low 80s with low humidity made for a comfortable day on the water.

Cheers,

Gary
Lucky dog. Beautiful day yesterday. The T-storms are moving in Saturday and supposed to stick with us a whole week.
post #780 of 1159 Old 07-19-2018

Yeah, I saw that - what a lousy forecast. Fortunately, I have a couple doctors appointments, then after a week of thunderboomers, I'll stock the pantry and bar and sail to Saint Somewhere for a couple weeks.

The black flies are getting bad on the bay, so I guess I'll have to put up my screen canopy over the bimini to keep the critters at bay.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in