2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 80 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #791 of 1159 Old 07-25-2018
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Rainy, windy, miserable sailing weather more often than not on weekends when we would normally be sailing. We don't feel like we're missing much having our boat out of action for repair.

Still. I want my boat back in the water where it belongs. Now.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #792 of 1159 Old 07-25-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Actually the weather will break for a few days and it looks favorable for the weekend....returning to monsoonal weather during next week again

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #793 of 1159 Old 07-25-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Come to Milwaukee.

No ill will intended, but after being totally out of sync with my travels, in Milwaukee for all the good sailing weather, for once I’m in Milwaukee during a crap week.

Headed to Maine by car Saturday, then back to Milwaukee, so no sailing for a few weeks. I just hope the storms don’t blow through New England next week.
Milwaukee....no that’s ok

I spent 10 years growing up in Rochester , Minn as my father was doing his residency at the Mayo Clinic.
Beautiful place. Winter ice sailing was way cool, but if you think a Sailboat can’t have speed try one of them. We you’d flip, it could be pretty dangerous , but most of the time you were dressed like a yhetti which softened the slide.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #794 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018
bell ringer

You guys stop your weather whining. I've been waiting 5 days to get out of Block Island Sound/Buzzard Bay and through the Cape Cod Canal. In 5 days I've moved a total of about 45 miles.

And it's getting dire as I ran out of wine 2 days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #795 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
You guys stop your weather whining. I've been waiting 5 days to get out of Block Island Sound/Buzzard Bay and through the Cape Cod Canal. In 5 days I've moved a total of about 45 miles.

Conditions are truly becoming untenable.

Endeavor to persevere.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #796 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post

Should we call the Coast Guard or the Navy?
post #797 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018

Hey Donna, the sun is shining here today, but there is so much water flowing down the Susquehanna River that I cannot get my boat under the Amtrac Railroad Bridge at Havre de Grace. There are 19 flood gates open at Conowingo Dam and the number could go to 25 by tomorrow, depending on the weather upriver. At 25 gates, parts of Port Deposit will be underwater, Route 222 will be closed due to flooding and the volume of debris headed for the upper bay is unreal.

If things settle down by Saturday, and the water level drops, I'm going sailing - you can John can come along if you wish. In fact, you can sail the boat while I mix the drinks and prepare the food.

All the best,

Gary
Donna_F likes this.
post #798 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
Coast Guard. The Navy handles rum shortages.
T37Chef likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #799 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
You fool,................................... BOTH!!!!!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #800 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018

Just received a photo from the marina, which is now underwater due to the Susquehanna River flooding situation. Sometime this evening, 25 flood gates will be open at Conowingo Dam, most of Port Deposit will be evacuated, MD Route 222 between US1 and Port Deposit will be underwater and my boat will be well above the height of the bulkhead it is moored to. Fortunately, I run long lines, which should be able to handle the rise of water level. I'll be headed there tomorrow, just to be sure.

Donna, all bets are off for sailing this coming weekend - the current in the river in front of the marina is probably 5 MPH faster than my hull speed. If I were to pull out of the slip, I would be washed downriver into the Amtrac Bridge, which would result in the total destruction of the boat in a matter of seconds.

I just looked at the long range forecast, which is for rain beginning again Sunday and continuing through next Saturday. Looks like I'll be stuck in the marina for at least another two weeks - DAMNED!

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in