2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 81 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #801 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Don, you need a drone delivery service to restock your bar.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #802 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Don, you need a drone delivery service to restock your bar.

Gary
Yes, sent it over!

Got off the boat for first time since Saturday. Walked past the liquor store without stopping, so no wine tonight. After not walking more than 40’ for 5 days I was too out of wine shape to carry it back.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 07-26-2018 at 08:19 PM.
post #803 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018
bell ringer

Weather forecast to settle down tomorrow, hope you bay sailors also experience that.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #804 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Just received a photo from the marina, which is now underwater due to the Susquehanna River flooding situation. Sometime this evening, 25 flood gates will be open at Conowingo Dam, most of Port Deposit will be evacuated, MD Route 222 between US1 and Port Deposit will be underwater and my boat will be well above the height of the bulkhead it is moored to. Fortunately, I run long lines, which should be able to handle the rise of water level. I'll be headed there tomorrow, just to be sure.

Donna, all bets are off for sailing this coming weekend - the current in the river in front of the marina is probably 5 MPH faster than my hull speed. If I were to pull out of the slip, I would be washed downriver into the Amtrac Bridge, which would result in the total destruction of the boat in a matter of seconds.

I just looked at the long range forecast, which is for rain beginning again Sunday and continuing through next Saturday. Looks like I'll be stuck in the marina for at least another two weeks - DAMNED!

Gary
One consolation.....no bottom growth with that kind of current speed🙀🙀🌪🌪

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #805 of 1159 Old 07-26-2018

Never get anything growing on the bottom, the water is too fresh for that. And, you are correct, nothing could grow in that current.

Gary
post #806 of 1159 Old 07-27-2018

Went to the marina today to check on the boat after last night's news reports of flooding in Port Deposit and additional flood gates being opened today.

Turns out the additional gates were not opened, so the number is still 19 gates, which put a couple feet of water in Port Deposit in the lower areas of town and closed MD Route 222. The boat was fine, and the water level at the marina has fallen about 4 feet from what it was light night.

Still much too high to even think about moving the boat from the marina. The bridge clearance is down to 45 feet, and the current is incredible. One of the workers at the marina said a large, pontoon boat was seen yesterday afternoon floating down the river, upside down. Today, we saw some huge trees and several 55-gallon drums float past the boat. Kinda scary.

Next week's forecast is just as bad as the past week, rain for at least 5 days in a row, some heavy downpours predicted. YUK!

Gary
post #807 of 1159 Old 07-27-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

How long will it take all the debris to flow down the Chesapeake? Sounds like it'll cause problems for weeks.
post #808 of 1159 Old 07-27-2018 Thread Starter

In the past it’s much worse north of the bridge and the areas around Creek/ river entrances

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #809 of 1159 Old 07-27-2018 Thread Starter

Were down at Haleakula and had to climb up to get on her.
Weather looks great tomorrow though not a lot of wind.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #810 of 1159 Old 07-27-2018

I could not have accessed Saturday's Child without using a step ladder today. The gunwale was 6 feet above the finger pier.

The debris is still flowing over the spillways in huge volumes, and will eventually make it's way to the shores of the bay in the form of driftwood. It usually remains there until we get an unusually high tide, then it's back in the bay, heading south until it finally reaches the ocean. It's a navigational hazard for the entire bay, not just the upper bay, and I have seen some monster logs the size of telephone polls near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on many occasions. Hit one of those suckers and it could send your boat to the bottom.

Keep a sharp eye out all the time for these things - they don't go away.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in