2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 82 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #811 of 1159 Old 07-28-2018
bell ringer

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
How long will it take all the debris to flow down the Chesapeake? Sounds like it'll cause problems for weeks.
When I went up the Potomac last month it seemed that the worst of the drift wood showed up 3 days after the rains.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1159 Old 07-28-2018

Anybody know how water levels further south - Piank or Rapp - are?
We're on the Rappahannock, so curious...

s/v Miracle
post #813 of 1159 Old 07-28-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Anybody know how water levels further south - Piank or Rapp - are?
We're on the Rappahannock, so curious...
Not sure if you're near Fredericksburg, but here's some data for you:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01668000

post #814 of 1159 Old 07-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Not sure if you're near Fredericksburg, but here's some data for you:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01668000
yep, thanks. I had seen that. But it's way upriver... Mostly just curious how these rains have affected river near bay. New to marina and slip-sailing so always a little worried during wx. Seeing pics of storm surge and marinas with the docs underwater is sobering!

s/v Miracle
post #815 of 1159 Old 07-28-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are out off of Annapolis heading to the Wye. Creek was about 2 feet above normal.
Not seeing one piece of debris from the Coniwingo Dam release, but it’s still early.

Winds light at 6-9 knots nnw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 07-28-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #816 of 1159 Old 07-28-2018 Thread Starter

Enjoying a beautiful sunset in a cove across from Dividing Creek, East fork of the Wye River
Simple dinner of NY Strip steaks and Southwest chopped salad. App was a ninja frozen drink with blueberries and peaches
Nice weather and sailing today. Perfect temps and humidty.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #817 of 1159 Old 07-30-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We are out off of Annapolis heading to the Wye. Creek was about 2 feet above normal. Not seeing one piece of debris from the Coniwingo Dam release, but it’s still early. Winds light at 6-9 knots nnw
You passed me going back around Bloody Point yesterday. Don't know if you noticed, but there was a pod of dolphins feeding right near the green marker.

I anchored in the cove beyond Drum Pt. on the Wye. There was a beautiful full moon and only two other boats. Nobody in Shaw Bay, either.

I had the same experience with the debris - nothing on Saturday heading south, but yesterday on the way back, tons of trash and wooden debris all the way from Bloody Point to Annapolis.
chef2sail likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #818 of 1159 Old 07-30-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I didn't bother taking my boat out into the trash maelstrom. I helped a friend rig and sail his little gaff rigged yawl around Selby Bay.

I've finally settled on a replacement for the standard marine piston pump toilet- I've bought nearly everything for a Lavac vacuum flush toilet. I looked at several types of composting toilets including making cardboard mockups and none of them would fit without major modifications to ether the boat or the toilet so I gave up on that idea. Everyone I've spoken to who owns a Lavac says that they've never had to rebuild them and the only parts they've ever replaced were the seals on the toilet seat. This will be a winter project along with replacing the water heater.

I performed a general inspection of the boat, cleaning grass out of the raw water strainer, finalizing the lazy jack installation, repairing the engine compartment ventilator ducting and various other sundry post-cruise repairs.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #819 of 1159 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter

I do remember seeing a Whitby when we rounded Bloddy Point. Blow your horn at us next time.

It was like dodgeball on the way back to WhitehallBay. Like you I was amazed the few PB out there hadn’t really slowed down

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #820 of 1159 Old 07-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I've finally settled on a replacement for the standard marine piston pump toilet- I've bought nearly everything for a Lavac vacuum flush toilet. I looked at several types of composting toilets including making cardboard mockups and none of them would fit without major modifications to ether the boat or the toilet so I gave up on that idea. Everyone I've spoken to who owns a Lavac says that they've never had to rebuild them and the only parts they've ever replaced were the seals on the toilet seat. This will be a winter project along with replacing the water heater.
I’ve had my 28-yr old Lavac for the past 22 years. Never had a clog or any other loss of function. The only issue has been periodic maintenance to remove lime scale from the joker valve on the Henderson/Whale bilge pump. Of course, lime scale is an issue with any joker valve. If you don’t want to dismantle the pump and soak the joker valve in vinegar, you can use a pump rebuild kit, which is around $50 and includes part that didn’t need replacement (and you still have to dismantle the pump.)
Ajax_MD likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in