SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

127K views 1K replies 57 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
To all a happy and safe New Year from Haleakula
Here’s to a great sailing season on the Chessie
Mods please make this a sticky. Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks Gary. I sure hope so. I just retired from the military. I hope to get extra time to work on the boat. So far, my time is spent helping my mother-in-law with my very active 8 month old daughter.

Attachments

#5 ·
I wish you all Happy New Year!

At first I thought 2017 was a disappointment, since we had to end our sailing in early October due to my new job. But when I look back on it, we actually anchored out much more than ever before. It still was much less than you guys who head out every Friday night for every weekend, but given our current personal situation with jobs often getting in the way, we did pretty well.

In 2018 I want to build on this and use my vacation time wisely to maximize our sailing time. I hope we can head out for at least one 7-9 day cruise in addition to a bunch of 3-day weekends.

#6 ·
I wish you all Happy New Year!

At first I thought 2017 was a disappointment, since we had to end our sailing in early October due to my new job. But when I look back on it, we actually anchored out much more than ever before. It still was much less than you guys who head out every Friday night for every weekend, but given our current personal situation with jobs often getting in the way, we did pretty well.

In 2018 I want to build on this and use my vacation time wisely to maximize our sailing time. I hope we can head out for at least one 7-9 day cruise in addition to a bunch of 3-day weekends.
Looks like you got out plenty
Hope to see you this year south of the bridge??

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27
#7 ·
Happy new year, y'all!

I'm in the process of building a new wiring harness for the mast, but I'd prefer to do it in weather above freezing. Tomorrow they're predicting a high of 26 and a low of 9... and that's the warmest it's been in a few days! Ugh!

#8 ·
Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 35F. I'm not buying it. I'll bet we don't crack the freezing mark.

After that, we have 3 straight days of single digit low temperatures before we get any relief. It's so cold that I can't even get my house up to temperature for varnish work. Well, I could if I set my pellet stove for "blast furnace" and I just might. The USCG just came through and broke the ice for Smith Island, so that the islanders can get provisions.

Attachments

#12 ·
So far there's not much ice on the Patapsco or the Bay itself but I expect that to change after 5 more days almost entirely below freezing. I think things would have iced much more quickly and severely had the bay water temperature not been in the 50s as recently as a few weeks ago. The last time I remember having this prolonged of a cold snap was 2015. It didn't hit until mid-February after the bay water temp had been hovering in the upper 30s for a solid month prior and the icing came on quite quickly.

Here's hoping for an early spring!

#14 · (Edited)
So far there's not much ice on the Patapsco or the Bay itself but I expect that to change after 5 more days almost entirely below freezing. I think things would have iced much more quickly and severely had the bay water temperature not been in the 50s as recently as a few weeks ago. The last time I remember having this prolonged of a cold snap was 2015. It didn't hit until mid-February after the bay water temp had been hovering in the upper 30s for a solid month prior and the icing came on quite quickly.

Here's hoping for an early spring!
I'm vacillating on whether to add an ice eater. There was no sign of ice on the water yesterday in the harbor. Docklines that had dipped into the water and boat bits that were splashed on were pretty well covered. Outside temp shows 22 degrees and inside the boat shows 34.

#19 ·
SailFlow

Hatterass Bouy- winds 50-60 wave height 18

Tomorrow

Texas Tower- winds 55-65 wave height 22
Nantucket SE Bouy winds 65 wave height 25+

New word for the talking heads- Bomb Cyclone

#21 ·
So much for moving south to Charleston to avoid the worst of the weather. I got out Wednesday morning before the storm hit, but Christine was knocking ice and snow off of our bimini yesterday and today. The water is still warm enough to run reverse cycle heat. The temperatures will be back to the 60s by Monday.

No ice in Charleston yet, Herrington Harbor North has been out breaking ice the last couple of days - the channel is frozen - Web Cam - Chesapeake Bay Marina Resorts - Dining - Lodging - Herrington Harbour

Cheers, RickG

#23 ·
Heard marine police assisted a grounded sailboaton the South River by the Rte 2 Bridge

I like a good sailing challenge, but really🙏🙏🌪🙏🙏

#26 · (Edited)
Wow, 2.75' below MLLW at low tide in Annapolis today. When I have time I'll have to search the history logs to see the last time it was that low.

EDIT: ...and over 3.5' below MLLW in Baltimore!

Attachments

#29 ·
Welcome. Read through the 2017 Sailing season on the Chesapeake Thread for some great spots. Gary (Travlin-Easy) will probably be along shortly with some pretty good recommendations for the upper bay.

#37 ·
Based on????????.

Take a trip to Annapolis and visit the many marinas in that area or Rock Hall.
Will be hard to see the water through the hundreds of masts large and small
Google. The 200 yacht clubs / marinas / sailing groups on the Chessie
Come Watch a few races. Interesting what fun people have and can do with so called shallow water.

Lastly the country ( USA) originally was colonized and settled up through the Chesapeake where Europeans brought their deep keeled ships up the Chesapeake ands it's estuaries and established many towns still present today. You can sail here for 30 years and never get bored with the variety of towns, sailing and anchorages.

#32 ·
I suggest some smilies or emojis might be needed??? :confused:

Reactions: oldlaxer1
#36 ·
You ask needs a little narrowing.
The Chesapeake is diverse and large
What size boat do you have? What are you willing to drive? What are your spending thoughts per year?
What type of amenities do you require? How often do you sail?
Last year how many miles would you say you sailed.
Lancaster area could open up both eastern and western shores.

In the Baltimore / Annapolis area there are thousands of Pa sailors. Same in Rock Halll / Worton area.

Give us some more information to help us make suggestions.

#38 · (Edited)
Happy New Year!

I haven't been on here in a while - had a crazy busy fall with the kids and the boat.

While 2017 saw us on the hard for half the season (grrr), once we splashed we got in a lot of great sailing. We did two entire race series with the Rock Creek Racing Association (I raced OPB until we got in the water). We did some other races as well. Our first trophies are on our mantle! We got in a couple cruises with club members (Still Pond, and the Corsica off the Chester River), and many day sails with the kids, including one quite windy day with my MIL.

For "reasons" we stayed in the water this winter (ugh). Which led to me getting an email from MYC yesterday about our boat being on the bottom. Jon raced home to get me and we headed down to Pasadena. Indeed, Kaimana was sitting on the mud, listing to the left, with her starboard lines holding her in place (otherwise she might have fallen into the boat and piling to our left). Some liveaboards were there and another member came down - they all counseled us to leave the boat as she was. While the bowlines looked tight, she wasn't actually hanging, and she was so low that there was really no good way to board her to make adjustments. We were the only boat tilted so much - the rest were still floating - we think there is mud build-up due to a boat in the slip to our left that has been chained in place for quite a while, unmoving. We may have to change slips AGAIN to get deeper water under us (5.5 ft shoal draft keel).

Instead of messing with Kaimana, we and the others helped adjust several other boats in the frigid weather (both temps and wind chill). Fortunately we were all in multiple layers, bundled up right down to snow boots. One catamaran was hanging so much we had to cut a line (all adjustments had owner approvals - calls and emails from the office or cell phones meant reaching everyone whose boats needed help). The cat dropped 9 inches to the water - I could see stress marks in the gel coat around a cleat. Fortunately only two dock lines needed cutting, and at good ends so each had plenty of extra to set the boats properly. It was awesome to be able to give help back after all the help we've received.

Later, after the water came back into the creek, another friend went to check on our boat which was floating upright again - he eased the bowlines about one inch each - and he showed us a photo. More gratefulness ensued.

We've been told that no one has ever seen so much water out of Rock Creek. It was unbelievable. One liveaboard needed help getting off her boat, it was SO far down from the dock. The photos are insane.

There's a lot of ice, but I think the wind was helping, and there was water all around us and other boats and pilings. There's a boat with an ice eater near us but it was out of the water and had been turned off. People are checking those and turning them back on once they are again submerged. I did see where there was a little ice on our hull at the waterline. We have bought something to help move water, but couldn't install it yet!

I am really looking forward to getting to the 40s next week - I'm pretty sure I've never said such words!

And to jjsbiggs - I'm from Hawaii, and was concerned about light winds (they don't happen all the time), and winter and hurricanes and shallow water, but while the "Flee" post wasn't wrong (we experienced the flies once), we've still had some great sailing since buying our boat in 2016. We are excited to continue our explorations and new adventures on the Chesapeake. Try it, you'll like it. Plus, awesome people abound!

Lee

#40 ·
Thank you so much for the replies. I have a 1983 Macgregor 25 which has a retractable keel. The draft is around 2 feet with the keel retracted and around 5' 10" with the keel down. I would like to find something within about an hours drive if I can. But may be able to travel a little further if needed. I've had the boat moored on Lake Champlain for the last three years which is only about 22 miles from my house. I normally sail one or two days a week right now but once I'm retired I would like to maybe get out more if I can. Moorings in my area are around $1000 a year and slips run between $1300 to $2100 per year. I don't need power or pump outs if in a slip. But would prefer a mooring or a marina with mast up storage with a ramp to use for launching. I plan to come down in April and do a little exploring of the marinas in the area. Most of my sailing has been day sails so I don't really keep track of how far I've sailed. Most days I would say I most likely cover around 25 to 30 miles.

My son lives in Dillsburg and my daughter is living in Lincoln University so I would like to buy a house somewhere south of Lancaster so I can be close to the grandchildren. Thank you again for any local knowledge you can share. Maybe we can meet sometime for a coffee or a sail.

#42 ·
Thank you so much for the replies. I have a 1983 Macgregor 25 which has a retractable keel. The draft is around 2 feet with the keel retracted and around 5' 10" with the keel down. I would like to find something within about an hours drive if I can. But may be able to travel a little further if needed. I've had the boat moored on Lake Champlain for the last three years which is only about 22 miles from my house. I normally sail one or two days a week right now but once I'm retired I would like to maybe get out more if I can. Moorings in my area are around $1000 a year and slips run between $1300 to $2100 per year. I don't need power or pump outs if in a slip. But would prefer a mooring or a marina with mast up storage with a ramp to use for launching. I plan to come down in April and do a little exploring of the marinas in the area. Most of my sailing has been day sails so I don't really keep track of how far I've sailed. Most days I would say I most likely cover around 25 to 30 miles.

My son lives in Dillsburg and my daughter is living in Lincoln University so I would like to buy a house somewhere south of Lancaster so I can be close to the grandchildren. Thank you again for any local knowledge you can share. Maybe we can meet sometime for a coffee or a sail.
Good to know.

Lake Champlain is a great area. This will definately be a learning and great experience. More consistent a greater wind, a 9 month sailing season, lots of places to gunkhole and anchor overnight, beautiful changing scenery on the eastern shore, lots of fellow sailors or solitude. Plus more.

From south of Lancaster Willow Valley area you can spread fairly far down the northern part of the
Chesapeake. We've kept our boat as far north as the Sassafrass for a couple years. Worton Creek for a couple, The Patapsco for 10 ( Rock Creek) and now Whitehall Creek just north of Annapolis south of the Bay Bridge.

Here are a few GENERALIZIONS ( course I may start a roul here,
The further south you can get the better the consistent wind, especially south of Poole's Island.
The further south the better chance of wind in the light wi d months.
The further south the better ratio of sailboats to powerboats
The further south the great the number of estuary with coves, towns etc.
the further south the greater the expense is for a mArina generally
Northern Chesapeake has fewer if any nettles
Very very few moorings available. ( Sailing Emporium on the Sassafrass for one) Northeast River Sailing Club is another.

You vessel though isn't the average sailing vessel which averages 5 knots...even with a jet turbine on it. McGregors can move under power so you may be able to hang further north and still have middle and southern northern Chesapeake in easy range. However I suggest an extra 1/2 hour car ride is worth it to clear the windless areas.

You'll have many choices and options. I suggest reading through the 2016 and 2017 threads ( many many posts) paying attention especially to what people say about where the keep there boats and where they like to travel .

Get a good marine map , and Navionics or Blue chart ap, and look at there's creeks and destinations nautically S you would if you traveled to them by boat. Blue ChRts has Active Captain a good basic reassure guide with opinions of boTers.

Once you figure out a general area you would like to explore, then find the marinas close to it. Some of us may be in them and will give you honest opinions.

Remember that you probably will move around in a few years as you gain knowledge and visit places. You aren't buying a slip. Enjoy yoUr research and ask questions. Many here are nice helpful people...we also have and edge sometimes as we are of course sailors. Sometimes some of us also meet up for a weekend anchor out. Have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.