2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 89 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #881 of 1159 Old 08-11-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I like the Walker Bay 270 Genesis RIB
Now to find a good price

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #882 of 1159 Old 08-14-2018 Thread Starter

Dinghy update:

Did a lot of reasearch and decided on a similar dinghy to what got eaten up after 8 years.

Looked at a lot of RIBS. The WB -$3600. Many others AB, Achilles , Zodiac, Highland , Mecury all between $2600 and that and for PVC.

To rich for my blood as our air floor Walker Bay which bit the dust was $1600 to replace. Can justify the added expense as we aren’t in the Carribean, don’t car if it planes really. I care about dry , reliable , and even maybe portable. Plus the RIBs are Heavier

Decided to go with Zodiac 270 8”10” aluminum floor ( water in the dinghy stays under it so your feet aren’t wet) . Has 992 lb carrying capacity, so 4 people.

Price was a factor as was the way we use ours. We use it a lot, but not like a cruiser would.

Picked it up today at Annapolis Inflatable for $1400.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #883 of 1159 Old 08-14-2018

Good choice, Dave.

Gary
chef2sail likes this.

post #884 of 1159 Old 08-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Dinghy update:
....Decided to go with Zodiac 270 8”10” aluminum floor ( water in the dinghy stays under it so your feet aren’t wet) . Has 992 lb carrying capacity, so 4 people.

Price was a factor as was the way we use ours. We use it a lot, but not like a cruiser would.

Picked it up today at Annapolis Inflatable for $1400.
I'm on year three with that same dinghy. It has worked out very well, only minor issue is the design of the oarlocks seems too fiddley. After losing two oars due to (IMO) poor design I took them apart to use some loctite on the screw that holds the metal pin in place. Also tied a loop around the oar secured to the dink.
Other than that no issues at all. I do coat it with 303 when putting away for the season ansnd again in the spring.
post #885 of 1159 Old 08-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
I'm on year three with that same dinghy. It has worked out very well, only minor issue is the design of the oarlocks seems too fiddley. After losing two oars due to (IMO) poor design I took them apart to use some loctite on the screw that holds the metal pin in place. Also tied a loop around the oar secured to the dink.
Other than that no issues at all. I do coat it with 303 when putting away for the season ansnd again in the spring.
Thanks. For the tips on the oats and 303👍👍😄😄🌪🌪😀😀

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #886 of 1159 Old 08-15-2018

I went to the marina today to help a friend to install some reefing hooks on his boom. Upon crossing Conowingo Dam, I noticed that the debris field had grown in size and there were 7 flood gates open on the east side of the dam. The river was a raging torrent.

Downriver at the marina, the current was very strong, and the muddy water was strewn with huge logs, lots of plastic water bottles and other forms of nasties. Looks like another shot week for me. Hopefully, the weather will stabilize a bit by next week so I can sail to saint somewhere.

Be careful out there, fellow sailors,

Gary
post #887 of 1159 Old 08-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I went to the marina today to help a friend to install some reefing hooks on his boom. Upon crossing Conowingo Dam, I noticed that the debris field had grown in size and there were 7 flood gates open on the east side of the dam. The river was a raging torrent.

Downriver at the marina, the current was very strong, and the muddy water was strewn with huge logs, lots of plastic water bottles and other forms of nasties. Looks like another shot week for me. Hopefully, the weather will stabilize a bit by next week so I can sail to saint somewhere.

Be careful out there, fellow sailors,

Gary
Not surprising, as central PA was socked with thunderstorms on Mon-Tue. Monday's were especially heavy, with road closures all over the place.

Are there any reports of severe debris south of Turkey Point? We've been planning to head out for a long weekend starting tomorrow, with possible destinations at Worton, Still Pond, and/or Magothy.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #888 of 1159 Old 08-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Not surprising, as central PA was socked with thunderstorms on Mon-Tue. Monday's were especially heavy, with road closures all over the place.

Are there any reports of severe debris south of Turkey Point? We've been planning to head out for a long weekend starting tomorrow, with possible destinations at Worton, Still Pond, and/or Magothy.

If you go north you run the risk of running towards it.

Last weekend we went to Rhode River and it was for the most part uneventful in the middle of the Bay where the ships were anchored to Thomas Point.

HOWEVER we pumped and and got fuel in Back Creek Annapolis and there was a lot of large logs and floating crap ( branches) in the Severn. It was a harrowing ride. There appears to be some residual debris at the entrances of all the Creeks and rivers.

We are headed out this weekend after we inflate our new dinghy. Probably going south because of this and either Choptank or Miles/Wye.

However we wanted to go up the Chester but are unsure if that area around l
Love Point has debris like the Severn did.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #889 of 1159 Old 08-15-2018

This past weekend I crossed the bay to Cape Charles and back. The only debris I saw was a waxed cardboard produce carton.

I'm starting to feel a little sorry for you guys in the upper bay.
post #890 of 1159 Old 08-16-2018

FWIW, last Sunday we sailed across the bay (somewhere north of Magothy) and back, and saw more debris than normal, but nothing alarming. My question is mainly related to additional debris that may have washed into the upper Bay over the last couple days, based on Gary's description. If I don't hear any specifics, we'll probably head out tomorrow, but may just head over to Magothy again.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in