2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 91 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #901 of 1159 Old 08-18-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I raced in EYC's Friday night series last night. I saw the occasional branch the thickness of upper or lower forearms in the Severn.

I have a folding prop so I'm less concerned about that kind of damage while sailing. I would be extra watchful while motoring and might put my partner on the bow. Yup, there's junk in the water. I'm not going to let it end my sailing season

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1159 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

i

We are sailing north of the bridge entering the Magothy. Have seen very little debris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #903 of 1159 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter

Anchored in the Inner Cove next to Redhouse Cove east of Eagles Nest on the Magothy.
Typical weekend in Eagles Nest with 5-8 rafts containing 5 power boats each. Tons of noise.

That’s why we soldiered on and came to the Gibson Island coves. Years ago the Yacht Club skiff boat tried to chase us out, but they don’t own the water there.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #904 of 1159 Old 08-18-2018

Up the Chester today... Nothing here. No boats either. Beautiful sunset on the Corsica

Shawn

post #905 of 1159 Old 08-18-2018

With an earlier than normal flight to Milwaukee tomorrow, I bailed on anchoring out tonight because the forecast 80% chance of thunderstorms all day made me concerned about getting back in time. (As fate would have it, later in the day they removed thunderstorms from the forecast.) Since I'm getting a little tired of daysailing, I decided to work on some much delayed todo items. The dinghy hadn't been in the water for 6 weeks, and I had left a little gas in the tank which had me nervous, so I dropped her in the water in the marina and wife, dog, and I all went for a nice little ride around the harbor. I normally pull the cord gently a couple times to prime the fuel pump, but I pulled just a little too hard and it started on the first pull (not bad for after 6 weeks). I'm really impressed with how quietly the Suzuki idles. Of course, it does get a little noisier at high throttle. While the dinghy was in the water, I ironed some patches into spots under the dinghy cover that are subject to chafe, and installed a couple of thimbles into the loops of my davit harnesses.

Then I went to work on changing the Racor filter. We have the 215 spin-on model with plastic bowl underneath that must be removed and threaded onto the new filter element, and I had a horrible time getting the bowl off because there's no place to grab it with a wrench or other tool. (Oops, just found a wrench for it online, but $30???) The whole ordeal took a couple of hours, and even moving it up into the cockpit, the small drips of diesel fuel onto the cockpit sole caused the cabin to get enough diesel fumes to be unpleasant smelling. This filter is a total PITA to change, and I'd love to get their 500 series turbine type, but there isn't sufficient vertical clearance under our aft berth to fit it. So I need to stick with the one I have for now.

After several hours of working on dinghy and fuel filter, I was soaking with sweat and jumped into the marina's pool to cool off. We're home now, where another todo list awaits.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-19-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #906 of 1159 Old 08-19-2018 Thread Starter

Was a good sailing day despite a late start figuring out our new dinghy.
Initially we were going up the Chester, but decided to exit stage left and did the Magothy. Was quite humid out , but we kept an eye out for T storms and got a good 4 hour sail in with conditions of 8-10 knots.

Anchored in the Inner Harbor or Gibson outside the mooring field, we had a peaceful quiet dinner of line grilled yellowfin tuna and a chopped salad with chipotle blue cheese dressing. Dessert was a peach smoothy

It cooled down nicely so sleeping was great. Looks like a great sail today.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #907 of 1159 Old 08-20-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Colin, I have a friend that fishes the Delaware Bay's upper reaches and said it is just as bad, if not worse, than the Chesapeake right now.

Gary
Guess it's a good thing my boat isn't ready for the water yet. Sure would be nice to be done with this refit though.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #908 of 1159 Old 08-21-2018

Hi all! I feel like I haven't been here forever. Long story short, I lost my dad just as the kids got out of school, and just got home last week. It's been a cursed summer in many ways. My dad is why I sail and I'll never get to talk sailing or racing with him again. I miss him terribly.

But I got to race twice this past week, and we have a raft up concert this Saturday on Stoney Creek (Drop Dead Dangerous - they are great - I bet there's room for a couple more boats...). And then a cruise planned for Labor Day Weekend. So our family will get a last chance at some fun time together thank goodness.

I hope everyone is well, getting to sail, and that the debris hasn't caused damage (yes, I did get that news).

Hoping for some good sailing the rest of the season.

Lee

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

Last edited by punahougirl84; 08-21-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #909 of 1159 Old 08-21-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Hi all! I feel like I haven't been here forever. Long story short, I lost my dad just as the kids got out of school, and just got home last week. It's been a cursed summer in many ways. My dad is why I sail and I'll never get to talk sailing or racing with him again. I miss him terribly.

But I got to race twice this past week, and we have a raft up concert this Saturday on Stoney Creek (Drop Dead Dangerous - they are great - I bet there's room for a couple more boats...). And then a cruise planned for Labor Day Weekend. So our family will get a last chance at some fun time together thank goodness.

I hope everyone is well, getting to sail, and that the debris hasn't caused damage (yes, I did get that news).

Hoping for some good sailing the rest of the season.

Lee
Lee, sorry to hear of you loss. Your dads legacy lives on in you and your love of sailing and the water. You can smile when you think of that as you pass your legacy on to the kids.

God bless you and your family
oldlaxer1 and punahougirl84 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (08-21-2018)
post #910 of 1159 Old 08-22-2018

I crossed Conowingo Dam about 2 p.m. this afternoon, no flood gates open, but the water flowing over the spillways was incredible and loaded with debris. Additionally, Deer Creek and Octorario Creeks were at least 4 to 5 feet above normal. All three bodies of water were flowing chocolate brown and the current was so swift that I could not venture out of the marina safely. Looks like it will be at least a week before I can go sailing again.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in