2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 92 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #911 of 1159 Old 08-22-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

This weekend's forecast looks to be the best we've seen in a number of weeks, so I'm really hoping to get out for a night on the hook. It's been a long time coming.

FWIW, last weekend we took our dinghy outside the Rock Hall jetty and saw none of the chocolate colored water that was being predicted. Turbidity was pretty much normal. Also there were very few reports of debris on the radio - much less than I was hearing for the two weekends before.

Let's think positive. Hopefully many of us are far enough away from Conowingo that we won't see the effects.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #912 of 1159 Old 08-23-2018

Well, yeah... except for no wind Sunday :-(

At least down in our end of the bay...

s/v Miracle
post #913 of 1159 Old 08-23-2018

Today, Thursday, would have been a great day to sail, but I had to babysit my grandson so I'm stuck sitting on the deck and watching the wildlife in my backyard.

Have fun out there guys and gals,

Gary

post #914 of 1159 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Least you’ll get to anchor out though Rick. It’s been a rough season for you. We saw very little debris last weekend in the Magothy
Next time you go to Eagles Nest go a little further to the Inner Harbor area by Gibson. Was quiet quiet and nice.
TakeFive likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #915 of 1159 Old 08-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Today, Thursday, would have been a great day to sail, but I had to babysit my grandson so I'm stuck sitting on the deck and watching the wildlife in my backyard.

Have fun out there guys and gals,

Gary
Thursday was definitely a good day to take some PTO - took my kids up to Tilghman Point and back from Deal. We must have change our sail plan a dozen times throughout the day, but it was a good learning opportunity for the kids - working out how to balance the boat and keep her moving well without dunking the rails. Coming back into harbor in the evening with the wind falling and a beautiful sunset was a great way to finish. Here's hoping for many more days like this!

Peter
post #916 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018 Thread Starter

Perfect sailing day today . Winds 12-15 steady from the SE. Haleakula hummed at hull speed and above on all points of sail. Hot when we went back in the Marinia.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #917 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018

We took our time getting to Rock Hall yesterday, so we arrived in Magothy about an hour before sunset. We motor-sailed about 2/3 across the Bay, but then got enough of a puff to sail the rest of the way. Per Dave’s suggestion, we went to Gibson Island inner harbor and dropped anchor just outside the mooring field near G3. Unfortunately we found ourselves in the middle of some traffic, sinc there appeared to be a de facto “channel” between two rows of mooring balls that everyone used, and they would squeeze between my boat and G3. It hadn’t occurred to me that people would use G3 as a junction buoy (which might better have been green-over-red striped if it was a junction). With a party going on in the beach pavilion, I was concerned about drunken boaters leaving afterwards, so as the sun was setting we moved away, but found ourselves in another “de facto channel” back to Redhouse Cove. I decided to stay there anyway and just leave a light on in the cockpit for safety.

By the way, WTF is with the 100’ house barge in the middle of the cove? Looks like the residents tow it there for the season and commute to it on a runabout.

Best sleep in a long time last night, with wind scoop keeping us under the covers.

Sail back today was great, with broad reach in 10-13 kts.

We picked a good weekend to get out, as there was a significant fuel spill in Rock Hall Harbor. Some guy had a massive leak into his bilge, and the pump kicked on and dumped it overboard. Much as people hate solid state (capacitive) bilge sensors, they do not kick on for oil like float switches. (Had one on my prior boat, but my current one has old fashioned float switch.)
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-26-2018 at 07:09 PM.
post #918 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We took our time getting to Rock Hall yesterday, so we arrived in Magothy about an hour before sunset. We motor-sailed about 2/3 across the Bay, but then got enough of a puff to sail the rest of the way. Per Dave’s suggestion, we went to Gibson Island inner harbor and dropped anchor just outside the mooring field near G3. Unfortunately we found ourselves in the middle of some traffic, sinc there appeared to be a de facto “channel” between two rows of mooring balls that everyone used, and they would squeeze between my boat and G3. It hadn’t occurred to me that people would use G3 as a junction buoy (which might better have been green-over-red striped if it was a junction). With a party going on in the beach pavilion, I was concerned about drunken boaters leaving afterwards, so as the sun was setting we moved away, but found ourselves in another “de facto channel” back to Redhouse Cove. I decided to stay there anyway and just leave a light on in the cockpit for safety.

By the way, WTF is with the 100’ house barge in the middle of the cove? Looks like the residents tow it there for the season and commute to it on a runabout.

Best sleep in a long time last night, with wind scoop keeping us under the covers.

Sail back today was great, with broad reach in 10-13 kts.

We picked a good weekend to get out, as there was a significant fuel spill in Rock Hall Harbor. Some guy had a massive leak into his bilge, and the pump kicked on and dumped it overboard. Much as people hate solid state (capacitive) bilge sensors, they do not kick on for oil like float switches. (Had one on my prior boat, but my current one has old fashioned float switch.)

Yeah...I can’t figure out the 100 ft house plantation boat either.

We went around the mooring field and anchored on the other side of it between it and the houses. No boat traffic there at all except a crabber in the AM. We stayed away from the road in to the island. Depts were 8 ft.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #919 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018

This was a truly beautiful weekend - how wonderful to read other stories of boats on the water (though I'm so sorry about Rock Hall Harbor and the oil). Saturday am our twins had a cross country scrimmage in Bel Air. After that we rushed down to the boat (which Jon and I preloaded before a wine tasting and dinner at MYC on Friday). Getting to Stoney Creek is quick and easy, and soon we were hailing the drawbridge - our first. We headed up and joined the raft-up that ended up with 9 boats, power and sail, across from a 10th where the band would play.

There were inflatable toys including our big rubber duck and a lounger that could take a ton of people, and one of those big rubber mats. Everyone brought food and platters and bowls were passed between boats or people went boat-hopping to meet new friends or greet old ones. Our kids made some new friends and had a blast in the water. We'd brought chilled red grapes, crackers, brie, chips and guacamole made by our older son, and cold marinated shrimp. We also snacked on chicken salad, salmon on crostini, roast beef roll-ups with cream cheese and horseradish, rubbed grilled chicken, and lamb curry. And cheesecake bites! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the music by these two girls called Drop Dead Dangerous. The evening saw us sharing beverages and stories while sitting on our decks. Some went in the water for night swims. The temperatures were perfect, as was the breeze.

After a breakfast shared between the 6 boats that stayed overnight, including Cointreau crepes, egg/chorizo/potato burritos, protein pancakes, cantaloupe, bagels with cream cheese and lox, chocolate milk, coffee, and mango-passion fruit juice, we all cleaned up and peeled off for the first bridge opening of the day. The cruise back was short but beautiful with blue skies and a great breeze.

We went to the MYC fuel dock (new equipment and newly opened!), took on more fuel than intended (I was hugging a friend and we started talking and I lost sight of the counter!), docked, cleaned up, then hit up the pool. I chose the crabcake sandwich for lunch from the weekend pool menu - yum!

We are hoping next weekend will be great - our last hoorah before the kids return to school.
Rezz and johnny buddha like this.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38

Last edited by punahougirl84; 08-26-2018 at 08:24 PM.
post #920 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yeah...I can’t figure out the 100 ft house plantation boat either...
Must have the hoity-toity Gibsonians up in arms!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in