2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 93 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #921 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Perfect sailing day today . Winds 12-15 steady from the SE. Haleakula hummed at hull speed and above on all points of sail. Hot when we went back in the Marinia.
Wish I could have been out on the water today. It looked lovely from the windows at work. At least I'm making money to put toward sailing adventures...
punahougirl84 likes this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #922 of 1159 Old 08-26-2018

The upcoming week's forecast is for very hot, humid weather. Think I'll spend the week cleaning up the interior of the boat to get it ready for my upcoming trip to the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas.

Gary
chef2sail likes this.
post #923 of 1159 Old 08-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Must have the hoity-toity Gibsonians up in arms!
If it's the same one it's been there for years. We saw it the last time we anchored back in there, probably 7 or 8 years ago. I think it was sold after this article was written. https://erinpaigepitts.wordpress.com...-the-lonestar/

Mary Lou
Tara
a Rosborough RF-246
Rock Hall

post #924 of 1159 Old 08-27-2018

Ironically, my father's great aunt, Lulabelle Peacock, owned most of Gibson Island and farmed it until late 1920, when they sold it to a real estate developer by the name of Stuart Symington for the tidy sum of $1-million. She purchased a 1,500-acre farm just north of Baltimore on Falls Road, a place now known as Hunt Valley.

During the summer months, when my father was very young, about 12 years old, he spent summers at the farm, driving the family's Model-A Ford across the sandbar to the end of Maryland Route 100 where he would pick up other family members coming to the farm for a visit. The sole purpose of the Model-A was to transport visitors across the sand bar to the island as it sat high enough that it could make the trip at low tide. Once on the island, dad would switch to the Model-T because it was smoother riding on the rough farm roads.

I have only been there once to perform for a family reunion party at the beach house, which was constructed by my grandfather and his brothers. That beach house still stands today at Gibson Island Point at the mouth of the Magothy River.

Cheers,

Gary
punahougirl84 likes this.

Last edited by travlin-easy; 08-27-2018 at 01:38 PM.
post #925 of 1159 Old 08-27-2018

Was grateful yesterday to finally get a sunny day with some forecast wind so we headed out of Middle River across the upper bay towards Tolchester on a close reach in line with all the other sailors. Expected the 5-10 knots that was forecast but got 15 to 20 knots out of the south the closer we got to the eastern side with nice 3-4 foot waves coming from the bay bridge. Made for a quick, smother broad reach sail back to the green water of home. Normally we go out and anchor for multiple days but this weekend did not allow for it.

Surprising was the distinct mud line in the water about a mile out from Millers Island that engulfed the entire eastern side of the bay and limbs and wood debris that were also contained in it. Went out 2 weeks ago to Rock Hall and had to avoid huge patches of wood, logs, trash, etc. and was hoping it was all gone but still seems to be out there.

Sailed up Middle River and anchored off to the side after it went to 6 knots to jump in and cool off and to scrub the bottom, saw an event I would never want to see, a 30+ foot nice double ended sailboat coming in and just lost his mast, heard a sound and saw it go down. Not sure if failure or if a sail or sheet caught a fixed marker as he went by.

All in all a nice day on the bay and hope the stricken boat and crew are OK.

Jeff

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
post #926 of 1159 Old 08-28-2018

I should probably start a new thread, but naaah....

My son has a couple days at home Fri-Sat before going back to college. Not sure he wants to sail (especially with scattered thunderstorms forecast), but he would be interested in waterskiing. So I'm going to fire up our fishing boat and haul it down to Rock Hall. I'd like your suggestions on best places near Rock Hall to drop the boat in the water for waterskiing. Keep in mind that I'd like pretty clean water without too much debris, so your knowledge of local conditions is important. I'll get a Kent County permit for the trailer, so all the County boat ramps are possible (except for "soft launch only" ones). But what location is best for skiing?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #927 of 1159 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Langford Creek, Greys Inn Creek, corsica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #928 of 1159 Old 08-29-2018

I received an e-mail today from Defender showing Pettit Ultima SR-40 and Ultima SR-60 both on sale for $125/gallon through September 4. I know some Chesapeake Bay sailors use and have reported success with these paints and this is as good of a price as I've seen, especially for the 60.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
The Following User Says Thank You to 4arch For This Useful Post:
Rhapsody-NS27 (08-29-2018)
post #929 of 1159 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
I received an e-mail today from Defender showing Pettit Ultima SR-40 and Ultima SR-60 both on sale for $125/gallon through September 4. I know some Chesapeake Bay sailors use and have reported success with these paints and this is as good of a price as I've seen, especially for the 60.
Thanks Bryan

Got the same e mail. Use the Ultima 60 and get 3 seasons.

Just orders 3 gallons as that’s about 1/2 price

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #930 of 1159 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter

If your a fair weather sailor.....this will not be the weekend for you. But then again perfect weather is hard to find.

Forecast is for cooler but humid weather. Wind a few days. 40-60% chance of rain, but according to SailFlow that just means it will rain sometimes. No strong heavy wind storms . I little rain never bothered us.

Probably headed to Choptank for a few of the days.

Friday is a half day for me so commissioning our new dinghy and setting it up is in order in the afternoon. If all goes smoothly a 1 hour job, including attaching the Lehr. If all works out maybe headed to the Rhode for a head start . If not we’ll just anchor in Mill Creek.

Choices are so varied on the Choptank we will decide on the go. Maybe will see someone attempting to go under the Route 50 bridge,������������������

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in