2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 94 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #931 of 1159 Old 08-29-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Hot today but there was breeze so yes, we raced. It was a good night. With only three of us I had my husband on the helm while I split trimming with a newish crew member. Boy I need a shower.

Thanks for the head's up on the paint. I wonder if shipping costs negate the savings? I will check on that.

Getting a short haul tomorrow. There is stuff the diver couldn't get to, and we didn't haul last winter so we need to check out the boat and figure out what we need to do this winter. And where we will do it.

The plan is to cruise with others from MYC this weekend. The destination is Clements Creek and maybe Round Bay. Both new for us. Husband got a cord so he can run his CPAP. I never did figure out our inverter situation. Other things came first.

Ok, I really need that shower LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by punahougirl84 View Post
Hot today but there was breeze so yes, we raced. It was a good night. With only three of us I had my husband on the helm while I split trimming with a newish crew member. Boy I need a shower.

Thanks for the head's up on the paint. I wonder if shipping costs negate the savings? I will check on that.

Getting a short haul tomorrow. There is stuff the diver couldn't get to, and we didn't haul last winter so we need to check out the boat and figure out what we need to do this winter. And where we will do it.

The plan is to cruise with others from MYC this weekend. The destination is Clements Creek and maybe Round Bay. Both new for us. Husband got a cord so he can run his CPAP. I never did figure out our inverter situation. Other things came first.

Ok, I really need that shower LOL!

We use the Severn a lot for a short trip....less than an hour to Clements for us . Clements has free Navy moorings if you get there early. Very protected. Further up is Brewers a nice creek and off Round Bay, Maydanier Creek..nice too. Anchoring in Round Bay exposes you to many wakes as no 6 knot restrictions.
Our favorite of Round Bay is Hopkins Creek

I bought a battery for our CPAP which is rechargeable. Those machines use plenty of battery power if using your bank. Especially with humidifier on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #933 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018

My wife's CPAP ran just fine on a 450-watt inverter when the humidifier was turned off. If she turned it on, it overloaded the inverter.

My oxygen generator draws 17 amps if I run it on the DC circuit and 8 amps on the AC circuit. That thing really sucks down a lot of battery. Thank goodness I have a large house battery system.

Gary
punahougirl84 likes this.

post #934 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

I'd love to be on the water this weekend, as I have five days off, but as a newish sailor in a tiny boat I don't want to deal with the Labor Day crowd. I'm planning to focus on minor repairs and cosmetic things in the meantime, and my wife and I are going to take 3-5 days out on the water mid September for our 3 year anniversary. Maybe I'll get in a solo day sail or overnighter in between, but other than that I unfortunately don't have a lot of sailing planned.

Hope you enjoy your time out on the water this weekend, @chef2sail

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #935 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
I'd love to be on the water this weekend, as I have five days off, but as a newish sailor in a tiny boat I don't want to deal with the Labor Day crowd. I'm planning to focus on minor repairs and cosmetic things in the meantime, and my wife and I are going to take 3-5 days out on the water mid September for our 3 year anniversary. Maybe I'll get in a solo day sail or overnighter in between, but other than that I unfortunately don't have a lot of sailing planned.

Hope you enjoy your time out on the water this weekend, @chef2sail
DOnt usually have problems with crowds where we go.

Can find unoccupied coves everywhere on Eastern shore

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #936 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
DOnt usually have problems with crowds where we go.

Can find unoccupied coves everywhere on Eastern shore
That's good to know. I've come within a quarter mile of crossing the Bay to the Eastern shore, so to speak, but haven't explored any of it yet. Something else to look forward to!

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #937 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Labor Day weekend isn't too bad in Rock Hall. It's the 4th of July when we either don't leave the slip or make sure we can leave the day before and return the day after. RH being a fireworks destination, there are a multitude more less-than-safety-conscious boaters coming and going, along with the dinghies that operate dark.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #938 of 1159 Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter

Yeah.....stay away from the charter fishermen too😳😳😳😳😳

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #939 of 1159 Old 08-31-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I bought a battery for our CPAP which is rechargeable. Those machines use plenty of battery power if using your bank. Especially with humidifier on.
Thanks for the tip re: humidifier. For the model I've got, if I don't use the heating feature, the humidifier is passive so it shouldn't use more power.

I've not bought the battery (yet) as it's an order of magnitude more expensive (retail) than the DC adaptor.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #940 of 1159 Old 08-31-2018

We towed our 50 hp fishing boat (poor man's version of a Boston Whaler) down to Rock Hall and put her in the water at Long Cove ramp. Things were very rough due to long fetch, so we went across in the lee of the shore and jumped in and waterskiied back and forth, thinking we were still in Long Cove. Then I noticed an island that looked familiar, and realized we weren't in Long Cove at all, but had gone all the way up to Cacaway Island. Funny how the real life surroundings were so different from the way it looked on the chart. It's a lot easier to follow a chartplotter at 6 knots than it is at 22 knots!

This boat hadn't been used in two years, so I made an unpleasant discovery that there was squirrel nesting material under my floorboards. The boat had filled with a bunch of rainwater on the way to Rock Hall, and I thought I had drained it all out, but when we started out I noticed my battery box was halfway underwater. Not to worry though, I have an automatic bilge pump, which proceeded to immediately clog with all the debris. I slowed down to go back and free the clog, but my bow dropped down enough to take water over the bow. (Freak out!!!) As you can see from the pics, this boat does not have much freeboard. So I had to immediately accelerate to get the bow up, and have my wife drive while I cleared the clog (and sucked up a bunch of 2 cycle exhaust.) I finally got things fixed, and we had a great time, especially once we got to the protected shore (which I now know to be the peninsula that separates Lankford Creek from Chester River).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1831.jpg   IMG_1823.jpg   IMG_1824.jpg  
Donna_F likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in