2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 95 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #941 of 1159 Old 09-01-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We towed our 50 hp fishing boat (poor man's version of a Boston Whaler) down to Rock Hall and put her in the water at Long Cove ramp. Things were very rough due to long fetch, so we went across in the lee of the shore and jumped in and waterskiied back and forth, thinking we were still in Long Cove. Then I noticed an island that looked familiar, and realized we weren't in Long Cove at all, but had gone all the way up to Cacaway Island. Funny how the real life surroundings were so different from the way it looked on the chart. It's a lot easier to follow a chartplotter at 6 knots than it is at 22 knots!

This boat hadn't been used in two years, so I made an unpleasant discovery that there was squirrel nesting material under my floorboards. The boat had filled with a bunch of rainwater on the way to Rock Hall, and I thought I had drained it all out, but when we started out I noticed my battery box was halfway underwater. Not to worry though, I have an automatic bilge pump, which proceeded to immediately clog with all the debris. I slowed down to go back and free the clog, but my bow dropped down enough to take water over the bow. (Freak out!!!) As you can see from the pics, this boat does not have much freeboard. So I had to immediately accelerate to get the bow up, and have my wife drive while I cleared the clog (and sucked up a bunch of 2 cycle exhaust.) I finally got things fixed, and we had a great time, especially once we got to the protected shore (which I now know to be the peninsula that separates Lankford Creek from Chester River).
That’s a cute little vessel
Should have buzzed Clay in the Corsica😀🌪. Heard he was having an annoying powerboat episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #942 of 1159 Old 09-01-2018 Thread Starter

Sailing down the Bay off of Poplar Island. 10-12 knot fickle breeze maintained 4.5 - 5 knots. Nice sail but very humid. Not sure yet where the anchor will land.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #943 of 1159 Old 09-03-2018 Thread Starter

We ended up in Goldsboro Creek down from Town Creek where Oxford was. We were the only boat there. After a dinner of crab cakes and broccoli salad we dinghied into Oxford for ice cream. Nice breeze all night.

We moved over to a little cove on San Domingo Creek before the main anchorage area for the back door to St Micheal. Hot day and evening.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #944 of 1159 Old 09-03-2018

We had a gorgeous one-tack close reach sail with plenty of breeze from Rock Creek on Saturday, all the way down to Annapolis, where there was a big regatta. We motored up the Severn River, under two bridges (plenty of clearance but it still makes me uncomfortable), then turned up Clements Creek to raft with three other boats. Lovely breeze came through the hatches. Blue sky and puffy clouds all around us. We felt very blessed by how Saturday turned out. We shared food and beverages in the cockpit of one of the bigger boats (a Beneteau 461). Several other boats were on moorings in the creek but everyone was quite well-behaved - no boats coming in fast to make big wakes, no loud anything, not even the icky scent of smoke anywhere. We retired with the kids after playing Snake Oil on our boat.

Sunday we all pitched in for breakfast and ate on yet another boat, then spent the day swimming and relaxing. My older kids enjoyed it (especially our blow up rubber duck and bacon raft!) but my youngest just hung out on the deck and would not come in (I told him he could wear a life jacket if he wanted - 4 years ago he jumped right in the Pacific when we were anchored off Waikiki - nothing convinced him). That was the saddest bit for me. He'd gotten in Still Pond last year. Oh well. That night I cooked and we ate in the A/C comfort below on the other Beneteau, then played several rounds of UNO, and taught the other adults how to play Snake Oil.

Despite spending time charging our batteries, and using as little power as possible, we could not start our engine this morning. Our neighbor brought his jump box (we will be buying one ASAP). I know our batteries need replacing - sigh. Time to re-research that decision.

We had to motor-sail back, watching for debris (there were the occasional log or branches in the way). We made it in time for a couple of us to swim during the potluck at MYC, before a storm came and forced everyone out of the water. It was definitely hot today! But the food was good and it was great to see friends who had returned from vacations in other places.

Now the kids are sleeping and anticipating their first day of school tomorrow. I'm so glad we got in some fun and the chance to enjoy such a pretty setting before the return to school.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #945 of 1159 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

Spare starter battery good to have.

Personally I would be careful swimming in any of the western shore rivers / creeks north of the Pautuxet due to the many sewage spills and rain washing out the storm drains. Fecal Coliform levels have been high with all the rain we’ve had. Lots of towns and people polluting the water.

You must be seriously short on battery power of two overnights caused a dead battery. Especially with the kids and all the fans and electronic do dads. M

You definitely are a candidate for at least a bank of
4 to 6 golf cart batteries ( 6 volt) and a strong alternator with AR5. That way you’ll never worry about power again. It probably isn’t the batteries but more than likely it’s Your capacity. Since you’ll keep the boat a while with growing kids this is not a place/ system to skimp on.

We love the Severn and it’s many creeks as a go to close place to anchor for Haleakula. It gets prettier the further up you go like Hopkins Creek and beyond. Only negative to me about the Severn is your on the landing path to BWI with planes growling overhead every 3 minutes.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #946 of 1159 Old 09-04-2018

I guess it's too late not to swim LOL! There were a lot of people, adults and kids, who were swimming in the creek where the moorings were - hopefully it was a good spot. We must have been lucky - no airplanes flew overhead while we were there. The only noise was running the engine.

We have two 200-amp batteries, but I ruined them one winter - didn't know I could charge where I was, didn't realize they would run down. So they've been fine for what we've been doing, or a single night, but even running our engine with the 100 amp alternator, it wasn't enough (we would have shut one down but it turned out one was really dead while the other was probably where we were getting our power). They need replacing. We were trying to be careful - fans, LED lights, the fridge, the cpap...we brought charging blocks for the electronic doodads and turned anything off that we could. We don't have a separate starter battery - not sure how to set that up but we plan to ask. And I think we will want to raise our capacity and maybe get some solar something or other (the wind generator is dead and gone). I appreciate the suggestion regarding batteries. I suppose it will also depend on what will fit in the battery compartment.

That was our very first foray up the Severn - I definitely look forward to more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Spare starter battery good to have.

Personally I would be careful swimming in any of the western shore rivers / creeks north of the Pautuxet due to the many sewage spills and rain washing out the storm drains. Fecal Coliform levels have been high with all the rain we’ve had. Lots of towns and people polluting the water.

You must be seriously short on battery power of two overnights caused a dead battery. Especially with the kids and all the fans and electronic do dads. M

You definitely are a candidate for at least a bank of
4 to 6 golf cart batteries ( 6 volt) and a strong alternator with AR5. That way you’ll never worry about power again. It probably isn’t the batteries but more than likely it’s Your capacity. Since you’ll keep the boat a while with growing kids this is not a place/ system to skimp on.

We love the Severn and it’s many creeks as a go to close place to anchor for Haleakula. It gets prettier the further up you go like Hopkins Creek and beyond. Only negative to me about the Severn is your on the landing path to BWI with planes growling overhead every 3 minutes.

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #947 of 1159 Old 09-04-2018

Unfortunately we sat this weekend out due to heat/humidity combined with forecast light wind. Decided to go to a pool we can use for free rather than pay for a transient slip at a marina with a pool at $120/night for the holiday weekend.

I’m used to temps in the 90s lingering into mid September (the MD school systems seem to be perpetually shocked that this happens EVERY year), but the humidity the past couple of weeks has been off the charts. We’ll be ready for some September sailing when September weather finally arrives. We’re hoping to get to the inner harbor on the weekend of 9/15 for the Defenders Day fireworks at Ft. McHenry.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #948 of 1159 Old 09-04-2018

The fecal-coliform level is very, very high throughout Chesapeake Bay and has been, particularly in the bays middle and upper reaches, for many years. Keep in mind that unless a raw sewage spill does not exceed 10,000 gallons, it does not even have to be reported. I wonder who actually does those measurements? Hmmmmm!

I made the mistake of wet wading in the Monacacy River near Frederick, Maryland, a river that from all outward appearances, looks very clean and clear. On the way to the area my son and I intended to fish, I brushed against a green briar and had a small scratch on my ankle. Just a tiny drop of blood, which quickly stopped bleeding before I reached the water's edge. I spent the next five hours trying to catch smallmouth bass with a fly rod, but to no avail. My son and I went to a rib restaurant for a quick dinner, before I had to make the two hour drive back to Forest Hill. By the time I got home, the pain in the area where I scratched my ankle was horrendous. The following morning I went to the doc in a box, who immediately sent across the street to the Upper Chesapeake Hospital, where I spent the next five days with IV antibiotics running full blast. My white cell count had skyrocketed to 28,000 and I had severe cellulitis. The doc said that if I had waited any longer, there was a good chance that I would have died.

I talked with some folks from the Maryland Department of Environment about the situation and they told be that there are loads of dairy farms along that river and every cow poops and pees in the river every time it rains. The same is true with Chesapeake Bay. All those rivers that you think are safe for swimming are anything but safe for human contact. And, the same holds true for most ocean beaches in the mid-Atlantic region. The EPA, more than a decade ago, reported those waters were unsafe for human, recreational contact. All you have to do is look at the satellite views of the mid-Atlantic region and you'll know why.

Play it safe out there, sailors,

Gary
post #949 of 1159 Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter

THere have been major sewage spills announce within the last few weeks in the Patapsco due to the pounding rains

I’ve had quite a few friends get sick” cooling off”
I wouldn’t bathe in any water close to a city so that means the western shore pretty much. Maybe Worton or still pond . Rock Creek where you keep your boat and I kept mine for 10 years is one of the most polluted on the western shore.

Batteries are the most abused and least cared for by many sailors wasting copious money needlessly. 400 amp hour bank is actually 200 usable. If you have refrigeration you probably average 3 amps per hour or 60/ 70 per day. Two days is 120 - 140 of your two hundred. Add a shower pump( 7 amps at least) and lights, well you get the picture. I don’t even know if you have a powered windlass huge battery user.

Remember also the 100 amp charger only does 100 amps to 85% of battery as bulk charge. And only puts out 100 amps at 2700-3000 rpm on the engine
Which is cruising speed. Running an engine a little over idle in an anchorage it’s probably only putting out 40-50 amps at best. Two hours may replace what the frige uses.

My suggestion is to get a good battery meter. Like a Victron. You can figure out your daily electrical diet
Which you need to figure out how much bank you really need. My bet is you didn’t kill that one battery completely or you’d have barely made one night.

With a crew your size 400 amp Bank is good for one overnight. 2 is pushing it. ITs much easier to have enough.

Suggest you have a separate start battery either echo charged or separated by an ACR. S
I understand about space considerations. My 35 is smaller yet we have 6-6 volt AGM ( can be laid on side) and a small oddessy blue topped AGM start battery. I hate worry about power and shutting stuff off.

Electricity is one of the easiest things a boater can dyi and save money not paying someone else to do. It can be e pensive rrplacingvevery 3-4 years of not matched correctly. Most Batteries and ALL wet cells MUST be equalized or they suffocate the plates and shorten their lives. Our last AGM battery bank lasted 9.5 years. They need a little attention but they like the energizer bunny go on and on if you take care of them correctly.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #950 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Decided to stay local due to the forecast and anchored in neighboring Mill Creek past Cantlers and JeffH House.
Working on minor boat projects. Tightening screws , inspecting pins , re- whipping ends of lines, changing racor filters, redoing Magma lid hinge, adjusting boom Vang, etc. making sure we are ship shape in case we need to get out of the way of Florence.

Seems no doubt it will strike the east coast, but where has raised its uglyyy...head.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in