2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 96 - SailNet Community
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #951 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Spare starter battery good to have.

Personally I would be careful swimming in any of the western shore rivers / creeks north of the Pautuxet due to the many sewage spills and rain washing out the storm drains. Fecal Coliform levels have been high with all the rain we’ve had. Lots of towns and people polluting the water.

You must be seriously short on battery power of two overnights caused a dead battery. Especially with the kids and all the fans and electronic do dads. M

You definitely are a candidate for at least a bank of
4 to 6 golf cart batteries ( 6 volt) and a strong alternator with AR5. That way you’ll never worry about power again. It probably isn’t the batteries but more than likely it’s Your capacity. Since you’ll keep the boat a while with growing kids this is not a place/ system to skimp on.

We love the Severn and it’s many creeks as a go to close place to anchor for Haleakula. It gets prettier the further up you go like Hopkins Creek and beyond. Only negative to me about the Severn is your on the landing path to BWI with planes growling overhead every 3 minutes.
Looking into AGM 31 HD batteries now but was curious of which GC AGM's you have. Would you also know the rated cycles for these.
Jeff

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #952 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...making sure we are ship shape in case we need to get out of the way of Florence...
Just curious, where would you go? We're already pretty far up from the ocean, so hurricane force winds aren't likely to make it to us. High water effects will make it to us if there's a storm surge like Isabel, but that would pretty much hit everyone wherever you are on the bay and tributaries.

I know that I'm exposed in my current location (especially if water level goes over the jetties). But aside from stripping off canvas and adding some redundant lines, snubbers, extra fenders, and chafe guards, I'm not likely to do much of anything. At a certain point you just have to say, "That's what insurance is for."

However, since I was not on the water in 2003, I know I can learn a lot from those who lived through Isabel and other storms. So I'm open to suggestions here or on the Florence thread.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #953 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018

Don’t think it’s going to be of Isabel magnitude if the Florence continues on its track makes landfall and than vears northward as remnants of a tropical storm..but I do have memories of Isabel. Most of Rock Hall was flooded. There are places that have historical marks on the sides of their buildings indicating the level of water such as Haven Harbour Marina store and office. Therefore boats in fixed slips where floating way above the pilings they where tied to and some ended up on those piling when water levels receded..

Last edited by aa3jy; 09-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.

post #954 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018

From what I saw this morning, it appears that it will make landfall far south of Chesapeake Bay, probably NC or SC. I just worry about the marina going underwater again, which has already happened once this year. My boat is fairly well protected from the wind unless it is southwest.

I just got home from the boat, fixed my running lights, organized things so I can put stuff in my shelved, hanging locker, clothes and other essential things, stowed all those spares in some of the many storage compartments I have on this boat. I still have room for my music gear, beer, booze, food and other necessities.

Tomorrow, it's back to the boat to clean the cabin interior walls and ceilings with bleach water and Dawn dish detergent. There has been so much rain this year that moisture is beginning to produce a light haze of mildew on some surfaces. Gotta get this cleaned off before it worsens.

With luck, and a bit of cooperation with the weather, I hope to get out Tuesday through Friday for a short trip down the bay. Might have my daughter's roommate along - she is good company and crews when I need a break at the helm.

Good luck,

Gary
post #955 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018

Just checked the 10-day forecast - it sucks! Fairly high chance of rain every day next week. Damit!

Gary
oysterman23 likes this.
post #956 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Just curious, where would you go? We're already pretty far up from the ocean, so hurricane force winds aren't likely to make it to us. High water effects will make it to us if there's a storm surge like Isabel, but that would pretty much hit everyone wherever you are on the bay and tributaries.

I know that I'm exposed in my current location (especially if water level goes over the jetties). But aside from stripping off canvas and adding some redundant lines, snubbers, extra fenders, and chafe guards, I'm not likely to do much of anything. At a certain point you just have to say, "That's what insurance is for."

However, since I was not on the water in 2003, I know I can learn a lot from those who lived through Isabel and other storms. So I'm open to suggestions here or on the Florence thread.
Sorry didn’t mean to imply I’d go anywhere but where I am. I am just checking out all my chafe gear and all wind objects.

Safety is in the marina you choose.

There are many reasons I choose the marina I did. First and foremost is storm protection. We are very much in a wind hole with protection from all directions. Small hills and large mature trees serve as good windbreaks also. So the wind issue is covered.

We all know the rising water is the big deal also. I chose a marina with fixed docks with poles 20 ft high above the docks. Lessons from Isabelle was that many marinas with floating docks saw them float over the poles. I will never worry about that.

If I thought we were to get a direct hit I might...and I say might just pull out into the well protected creek however I agree about the insurance thing. My Marinia also has a working yard and the insurance will pay for the haul out for a named storm. We get priority on haul outs as we keep our boat there. They stake the boats into the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #957 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff356 View Post
Looking into AGM 31 HD batteries now but was curious of which GC AGM's you have. Would you also know the rated cycles for these.
Jeff
Number of cycles will be somewhat on how deep you discharge . I have Lifeline 6 volt Lifeline GPL-4CT AGMs. They get usually between 3000-5000 cycles. I prefer 6 volt batteries as opposed to group 31 because the plates are much thicker. 2- 6 volt = same ah (220/240) as 2 group 31 in a smaller footprint. More cycles. Also lifelines are the only AGM I know which allow equalization. They are quite pricy so when I am near replacement I look for internet deals every week. I have been able to get them as cheap as $245 no tax free shipping as recently as 2 years ago. Lifeline are way more expensive but you get what you pay for. I get over 3x usage most get out of their cheap Costco AGM. No maintainence other than equalizing 1 every few months. They have been cost effective for me, however I take care of the, shore charger is a 3 stage on. Alternator is a 100 amp with an ARS regulator with temp leads on battery and alternator. If my engine would have allowed I’d have gotten a 140 amp but it would have meant replacing
Too many parts.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #958 of 1159 Old 09-08-2018

Chef, good info on your battery setup and guessing from your statement about DOD and cycles of 3000+ you must not take your bank close to 50% DOD as I was seeing 1000 cycles @ 50% DOD. I was looking for 1000 cycles, but more is better.

Just wondering if you also have solar for recharge to round out the entire system.

On the weather, after a lousy late summer and this rain and 'cane off shore I am hoping for a nice late September and October, with Baltimore Fleet Week, the Sailboat show and the Chestertown Downrigging Festival.

Jeff

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD
post #959 of 1159 Old 09-09-2018

So what you guys think of our friend Florence coming to town?
post #960 of 1159 Old 09-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff356 View Post
Chef, good info on your battery setup and guessing from your statement about DOD and cycles of 3000+ you must not take your bank close to 50% DOD as I was seeing 1000 cycles @ 50% DOD. I was looking for 1000 cycles, but more is better.

Just wondering if you also have solar for recharge to round out the entire system.

On the weather, after a lousy late summer and this rain and 'cane off shore I am hoping for a nice late September and October, with Baltimore Fleet Week, the Sailboat show and the Chestertown Downrigging Festival.

Jeff
Correct you are. We have condisered a solar option however it really isn’t necessary because of how we use Haleakula. We put between 2500-3000 nm per year on her mostly on weekends or long weekend with at least 2-two week cruises on her, usually 3. Very rarely is she discharge below 75% ( another advantage of having a large battery bank for a boat our size, of 720 ah, 360 usable) . To get to 75% on our bank with a daily electrical “diet “ of 64 ah requires 3 days non stop no engine recharging. Our cycles are really above 3000. I would recommend the large ah bank as it also increases the number of potential cycles you have thus prolonging you battery life.

If I really did some longer cruising with her I would definately add a large solar panel to her to keep her topped off. Each panel (135) would give me 25 ah conservatively per day. 2 panels almost equals my daily diet. This diet was something we fingered out with our Victron a few years ago. It caused us a major project of reconditioning our refrigeration box. We went from using 3 amps per hour to 2 by putting foam insulation around it add increasing it on its top. It saved us 24 amps per day in the peak summer months. This lowered our daily diet from 88 to 64. We also changed almost every light to LEDs.

I was determined to never worry on a weekend about power again and not depend on turning on the engine , a very expensive and inefficient way of recharging. Plus why add engine hours on your boat ....just to make electricity...to me that’s ludicrous. If I needed to do that...a generator would be better. The extra two 6 volts taking us from 4 to 6 made a huge difference not to mention increasing the number of cycles I could get out of them. If you looked at the plot on the chart you will see a huge difference from charging at 70-75% than 50%. Our AGM also accept a charge much faster than a conventional wet battery. The goal is the 85% mark before it kicks to the absorption phase. Since we spend a lot of time hooked up to a shore charger , which gets us back to 100% . It’s no issue. But this is how we use Haleakula. If I cruised I’d definately get at least 1 panel.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in