Missing sailor on the Chester River - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 07-18-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Missing sailor on the Chester River

This thread makes my head hurt. I'm glad that no one in this thread has any decision making authority with regards to the incident or any possible future safety requirements.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have several problems with your statement, especially with your demeaning of appropriate caution by characterizing it as "fear."
Sorry, not trying to be demeaning, but your prior comment sure did sound like you have a fear of water, if you are having a negative physical reaction to an image of people on a boat not wearing PFDs. ("Seeing all those people sitting on those spars without PFDs just turned my stomach.")

When I look at that image, I see a bunch of people having fun (albeit in ridiculous matching polos). The lack of PFDs wouldn't cross my mind unless brought up in a discussion like this.
post #23 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

If I were on the log canoe, I would be more concerned about the embarrassment of falling off than drowning. It looks like great fun. But I understand that is not for everyone and I would keep young children away.

How many people on this thread lead ice climbs? How many believe that should be banned, because there is no way of preventing a dangerous or even fatal fall? In fact, there are no safety regulations on climbing per se, only equipment standards and standards for guiding climbers (which I have done).

Just curious.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #24 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
If I were on the log canoe, I would be more concerned about the embarrassment of falling off than drowning. It looks like great fun. But I understand that is not for everyone and I would keep young children away.

How many people on this thread lead ice climbs? How many believe that should be banned, because there is no way of preventing a dangerous or even fatal fall? In fact, there are no safety regulations on climbing per se, only equipment standards and standards for guiding climbers (which I have done).

Just curious.
I think death is worse than embarrassment, and thus worthy of greater concern.

I'm not suggesting banning anything. It's ultimately one's own choice whether to pursue activities for which there is no safety gear to prevent a fatality. But when such gear is available, affordable, and comfortable, why not use it?

One reason the picture turned my stomach is because I realize that one of the young women shown didn't make it home safely. But the other reason is the clear hazard that was ignored, apparently for the sake of vanity.

I see plenty of boaters without PFDs and don't give it much thought because the conditions (weather, sea state, boat size/stability) are benign. That doesn't turn my stomach. But when I see a 3 year old on the docks without PFD, or a guy on the foredeck in a sudden blow struggling to get his spinnaker down without a PFD, or 15 people poled out on one side of a log canoe without PFDs, I see accidents waiting to happen.

FYI, my 3-year-old son fell off the dock at Lake Wallenpaupack less than 15 minutes after we arrived for vacation. (We were still checking in at the front desk.) Thank God we strapped a PFD on him before he even got out of the car.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #25 of 38 Old 07-18-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

Just curious.

I think the outdoors should be banned.
PalmettoSailor and chef2sail like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #26 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

The photo of folks hiking out of the log canoe in this thread is from years ago - it shows up in image search as early as August, 2010. No photo credit but in 2010 a blog identified it as sailing at St Michaels, so it may be part of the CBMM collection.

When the photo originally appeared here I assumed it was a stock image to illustrate hiking on a log canoe. As the post was copied and pasted some may have believed it was a photo of the crew and boat involved in the event.

Edit - It could be the same boat, Mystery was built in 1932, refurbished over the years and is still racing. The crew in the photo appears from 2010 or earlier.

A photograph of Mystery is at the top of this report -

Body of missing boater recovered | Spotlight | stardem.com

Last edited by Dfok; 07-18-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added info
post #27 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are all adults aren’t we?
Adults have choice don’t they?
Adults theoretically can read, and comprehend the dangers of going without a PFD can’t they?

Not sure why this concept is so hard to understand for some. She knew the risks and chose not to wear one. She has that right.
We all make small choices like this every day.

Are the PFD Police here saying she was at her own fault in her death?

Children however don’t have the above, so laws for them wearing them make sense.

It’s an accident...a tragedy...why speculate

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #28 of 38 Old 07-18-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I agree with SeaStar here. It was pure speculation that she got trapped under the boat. (My speculation is that blunt force trauma to the head as the spars dragged past her is much more likely.) Until an investigation is completed and released (if it ever is), it's nothing but speculation. Meanwhile, using that speculation to justify the lack of a PFD is a disservice to those who may take that advice and choose not to wear a PFD. While there are possible scenarios where a PDF could be a detriment, the statistics are overwhelming that the chances of survival are much greater wearing a PFD than not wearing one. The right choice is clear.

Seeing all those people sitting on those spars without PFDs just turned my stomach. If someone here wants to attempt to explain why they should not have been wearing PFDs in that situation, I'm all ears.
Thanks for this post. Common sense is not all that common.

and I'll gladly take the heat for the following comment .....

In too many sailing events, alcohol is a factor (don't know anything of this specific event). Just a few days ago I watched a large number of sailboats load dozens of dock carts full of booze then take off on a non-stop, multi-day, 300 mile race. Upon return, no booze containers were deposited in our yacht clubs garbage bins and I saw no booze being unloaded. Am I making an erroneous assumption ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 07-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

In too many sailing events, alcohol is a factor (don't know anything of this specific event). Just a few days ago I watched a large number of sailboats load dozens of dock carts full of booze then take off on a non-stop, multi-day, 300 mile race. Upon return, no booze containers were deposited in our yacht clubs garbage bins and I saw no booze being unloaded. Am I making an erroneous assumption ?
Yes, most likely you are. You have no evidence and that is some wild speculation.

The victim can't defend herself, the crew on the boat will be distraught for some time, the race committee and sponsors most likely are numb with grief.

Not every accident or incident is the result of "lack of common sense", stupidity, or a large number of sailboats load dozens of dock carts full of booze then take off on a non-stop, multi-day, 300 mile race.

**** happens. People die.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by Dfok; 07-18-2018 at 08:54 PM.
post #30 of 38 Old 07-18-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

They poured out the booze and launched a boatload off message in a bottles....😄👍🌪

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in