SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Annapolis Boat Show October! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/325188-annapolis-boat-show-october.html)

sailjumanji 10-05-2018 09:52 PM

Re: Annapolis Boat Show October!

It was a great show. Lots of cats. Rebates on B&G electronics I had not seen until show, and only good during show days. Purchased a Zeus 3 and 4G radar ($400 rebate), having West Marine ship. Helly Hanson jackets for wife and I at $100 off each. Communication headsets, Fortress anchor bag, all cheaper than Defender sale. All the reps had their experts there to answer questions, demo electronics, etc. We started Monday with tour of Naval Academy, Tuesday historic homes and capital, Wednesday sailing on a friend's Seawind cat on the Chesapeake. Thur and Fri at the boat show. Flight home in am. Oh, and Annapolis Doubletree had free shuttle to show and back running every half hour, to 11 pm. And ate enough crab cakes, crab and artichoke dip, crab soup, crab sandwiches, and had some decent local brews.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

sailforlife 10-07-2018 07:10 AM

Been here now 3 days you all have amazing weather and the people are sooooo nice. Heading back to the show today.

TakeFive 10-07-2018 10:04 AM

We just parked in Eastport, and walking over to the show. Happy to say hello to anyone who is there. We usually do lunch at Fleet Reserve Club, so thatís a possible meetup point.

Jeff_H 10-07-2018 10:37 AM

I thought it was a good show, but I was very distressed at the current trends in evidence. The one trend that seemed crazy to me is that almost none of the European boats have travelers. I asked a bunch salesmen why that is and whether you can have an option of having a traveler, most said that travelers could not be added and one salesmen clearly didn't know what a traveler did.

The folks at X-yachts we're candid that the race boats no longer sell and that they are only getting orders for the cruising models and cruisers don't want travelers.

Another disturbing trend was that dodger and Biminis have morphed into cockpit covers that were bigger than my house's living room and dining room combined.

On the flip side, the boat show said that statistically, there was a large increase in the number of new monohull models at the show. On the other hand there were fewer multihulls than the last two years, but they were much larger on average than in the past years.

sailforlife 10-07-2018 01:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pussers

Minnewaska 10-07-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 2051556888)
....one trend that seemed crazy to me is that almost none of the European boats have travelers....l

Sorry I missed you, Jeff. I was exhausted crawling through boats with a buddy. He likes the larger Hanse, I forget if it was about a 54.

Anyway, we went aboard the larger X Yachts too and much seemed pretty similar to Hanse. The salespeople aboard the X Yachts were awful, however. Noted the X had a hydraulic vang. That could likely make up for lack of a traveler, no?

sailforlife 10-07-2018 10:21 PM

Those new Tartans looked really nice! The wood interiors and workmanship was great. I also liked the Elan they had some nice looking boats. The Tartans were my favorites, not into the new modern sleek space ship look that the companies are all moving to. They all look the same, no individuality can't tell them apart. I got what I think is a good deal from West Marine two triton2 digital displays, the new B & G Ws320 Wireless Wind Sensor with receiver and the depth speed and temperature sensor, I believe something like that. All for like 1700. Tried to compare the price to defender and it seemed cheaper. Also got me some Tilley hats they look really well built. Next I am looking at the zeus 3 and zeus 2 I can pick up the 2 for 2k less but I cant tell what the difference is between the two units. The B&G website has not been that helpful.Been staying in Annapolis landing lovely marina. You all have a really nice setup up here, I like Annapolis, the people are very friendly and the town is lovely. Seriously considering a move or to be transient ones in a while.

sailforlife 10-07-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 2051556888)
I thought it was a good show, but I was very distressed at the current trends in evidence. The one trend that seemed crazy to me is that almost none of the European boats have travelers. I asked a bunch salesmen why that is and whether you can have an option of having a traveler, most said that travelers could not be added and one salesmen clearly didn't know what a traveler did.

The folks at X-yachts we're candid that the race boats no longer sell and that they are only getting orders for the cruising models and cruisers don't want travelers.

Another disturbing trend was that dodger and Biminis have morphed into cockpit covers that were bigger than my house's living room and dining room combined.

On the flip side, the boat show said that statistically, there was a large increase in the number of new monohull models at the show. On the other hand there were fewer multihulls than the last two years, but they were much larger on average than in the past years.

Did not notice the traveler situation I believe the tartans all had it. But I did notice the dodger and biminis that was very odd. The sailboat situation was great, in the Miami simply sail or the boat show there were like maybe 10 sailboats. This was sailboat heaven out here, I have been to both shows this year Miami and Annapolis and I enjoyed this show much more. :captain:

sailjumanji 10-07-2018 10:34 PM

Zeus 3 screen resolution much better and can be read from very tight angles and with polarized sunglasses. Also has built in Wi-Fi and autorouting. Zeus 2 lacked both of these but is a good unit. Had it on previous boat.

I found west marine at the show making deals on b&g equipment, whereby it's usually priced at retail for west and defender. I was shocked. Plus got a $400 rebate coupon, and 4% back in west marine advantage points.

sailjumanji 10-07-2018 10:37 PM

And I agree that although I attended Miami show earlier this year and contracted for my Seawind cat then, the Annapolis show was much better. Thankfully we committed after the Miami show though, because only two more months the new boat gets offloaded in Miami.