Annapolis Boat Show October! - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 151 Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Annapolis Boat Show October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Went on Sunday. Was surprised how uncrowded it was. Met a few friends there. Outbound , I think 46/47 was my favorite boat. I need to hit the lottery though.

Looked at new stoves .

I heard on the news someone tried to break into. sailboat and steal it.
The getaway would be painfully slow...😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Someone really tried to steal one? lol crazy Where did you hear about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 151 Old 10-08-2018

I went Sunday. It seemed to be a pretty normal size crowd vs. prior years.

I was glad to see West Marine back at the show. Their new management seems to be aggressively working to get customers back. I don't know how good their "deals" were, but it's always good to have retailers there with lots of take-home stuff to buy. Maybe Defender will come back someday. I didn't buy anything there, but I'm going to check out the CrewWatcher system that they had on sale since it might be a good fit for MOB detection on inland waters. If anyone has comments, please share.

I talked to several sailmakers about resetting my mainsail's bolt rope. I've gotten sticker shock over getting a new mainsail due largely to the high cost of a new Dutchman system ($600 in addition to the cost of the sail). Resetting the bolt rope did a lot to help my mainsail shape on my prior boat, so I'll try it again. Unlike last year, the sailmakers were more willing to do this, whereas last year I just got hard-sell pitches to go with a new sail. It seemed odd the difference in tone I was getting from the same people I talked to last year.

I did my usual BoatUS renewal and also bought some Kanberra gel. We got "Cruzan Killers" (so named to avoid infringing the Pussers trademark) at Fleet Reserve Club, and cinnamon ice cream from Annapolis Ice Cream.

We got on more boats than normal just to start to scope out whether our current boat is truly as big as we want to go. In general, we came away thrilled with what our current boat has to offer vs. our needs. It will take a major change in lifestyle for us to need to go bigger.

Aside from the Morris, we just looked at production boats. As before, we hated the materials and finish on the Beneteau's and Jeanneau's. DuFour was a step up from those. We still liked Catalina above all the Euro production boats.

In addition to the lack of travelers (which most people didn't even notice, partly because the mainsheet tackle was hidden up on top of arches), I noticed a lot of self-tacking jibs. Trying to see the positive side, I can imagine people sailing on narrow rivers (like I used to do) liking this setup because with self-tacking jib you just tack back and forth all you want without anyone having to grind winches. In that situation, a traveler would just be set in the middle anyway. But for people on wider water who care about sail shape, a traveler would seem to be worth it, and sad to see manufacturers cutting those corners.

I also noticed a number of J's, B's, and DuFours with no backstay. All those boats have gone to swept-back spreaders with no forward lowers, which can be nice to eliminate obstructions to tacking a large genoa - however that benefit is gone with a self-tacking job. But several of the smaller boats went one step further by completely eliminating the backstay. One of the J's seemed to have the deep 120 degree spreader sweep (i.e., a classic B&R"tripod" rig like Hunter uses), but a couple of the boats seemed to have only slightly swept back spreaders despite having no backstay. I really wonder about the mast stability in a situation like that, since a heavy blow from behind, or even on a beat (which would tension the forestay), would seem to cause huge stress on the shrouds and maybe mast pumping.

Is it possible that the lack of Catamarans on display was because manufacturers are still maxed out on capacity due to replenishing the depleted BVI market since last year?

I attended the free Sunday seminar on Running Inlets, which was interesting. I also noticed that there had been a free seminar on Friday by Miss Lone Star, and was wondering if anyone saw it. I have real questions about her sailing skills, and the stupid risks she took sailing her derelict boat up to Massachusetts (among other things she collided with the Reedy Island Dike, which she still claims was an unmarked sunken container, and shredded her jib). It pains me to imagine her telling others, "You can sail around the world on a $1 boat. So I'm just curious whether he talk was helpful or dangerous.
Rezz and sailforlife like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-09-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #133 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've gotten sticker shock over getting a new mainsail due largely to the high cost of a new Dutchman system ($600 in addition to the cost of the sail).
When I ordered a new mainsail a few years ago, I was able to get the loft to install the "line pouches" from my old sail, saving several hundred $. I also reused the topping lift system. Cut the cost significantly.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #134 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

The hypothesis that the available multi inventory is low is plausible. However, I wasn't hearing any excuses from them. I crawled around a 44 and the available room is truly amazing. However, it's not fairly comparable to a 44 mono, it's two boats for starters and the price, while not proportional, is reflective.

I wonder if there is a general decline in sailboat demand overall, which would drive the market partially back to smaller and lesser cost, ie mono.

I didn't visit as many multi's as I did monos. I got the sense there were relative differences in quality and substance of rigging and systems between high and low end multis, just like monos. However, the interior fits outs of the multis seemed to be in a more narrow range. Was there a multi that had the relatively high end interior fit of an Oyster or Hylas? I may not have randomly seen it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #135 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

Maybe peak cat has been achieved. For all the hype about multis taking over the world, large multis are still pretty rare on the Chesapeake. Many of them I do see are cruisers passing through. Whether or not a multi is a good choice for sailing the Chesapeake is a debate I will leave to another thread, but what is hard to dispute is the lack of multi infrastructure on the Bay. Only a handful of marinas have cat-friendly travel lifts and at almost all marinas multis are relegated to T-head or side-tie water berthing. The lack of places to accommodate multis here would be a huge turnoff if I were otherwise interested in buying one.

And I imagine the situation is similar in LIS and New England, no?
chef2sail likes this.
post #136 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

We went to the show...
We stayed in Jessup holiday inn, seems like a good place to stay just far enough away from the show but not too far.
We parked in the city garage, That is something I would do again also 20.00 and less than a block away, but if you are going to park there get there early it was full about 15 mins after we got there.
Being from upper Michigan we don't get the chance to see cats in real life, just not that many cats in my area other than gemini's… I wasn't impressed, I liked the space, but the production cats are nothing more than an floating ikea store, or at least that's the feeling we got.

I agree the deals aren't really anything you can't get online. I did buy some stuff mostly lines and I paid more than I could of ordered it online. I did sign up for my captains classes saved about 100 doing so. (this is a make the wife feel better when we leave thing).

Got to see stuff I'm planning on buying in person touch and feel it. Got to talk to raymarine about my set up.

I would say if you haven't gone to the show before it's a good time, I plan on going again next year, but my boat will be in the area by then.

Bob
post #137 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

Sure seemed like a lot of cats at this show, so not sure about the declaration they've peaked. Seemed like half the dock space was cats. A lot more than at Miami shoe earlier this year. Three of the Take the Wheel boats were cats. One of them I toured had a $1.4 mm price tag, or $1.8 mm if you wanted the performance package! When we went by the Seawind cat display - the boat we ordered at the Miami show - they were pretty backed up with people wanting to get onboard.

Electronics deals were there, even thru West Marine. They were reducing prices on B&G electronics that I have never seen done before. We purchased at the show, to also take advantage of boat show only rebates. Definitely worthwhile.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
post #138 of 151 Old 10-09-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

I went to the show Friday through Sunday. I was hoping to buy a number of items for the boat, but I mainly ended up doing research on items instead.

I thought attendance was pretty decent. Friday was definitely the least crowded of the three days for me. Saturday was about as I expected, with lines to view the more popular boats.

As for mono vs multi... I didn't bother going on any cats, except Ooga Chacka (made by... a company I don't remember - maybe someone else could chime in?). There was a molded spiral staircase going to the flybridge, and the interior was fully custom. I was impressed, even though I'm not a Catamaran person. I was also surprised to see a newer, bigger Neel trimaran at the show. The layout was vastly improved... and the price tag was increased accordingly. The beam was nearly 30 feet!

The monohulls were numerous and various. S&J Yachts had the Island Packet 349 there (hull #1), and it sold early Thursday morning. Suppsedly hulls are now booked through at least August of next year. I boarded all the "dream on" boats - those above 50 feet. Mainly I love seeing the fit and finish, and I like seeing the technology used that may eventually trickle down to the low-end consumer. Wauquiez had a model at the show, and it had some features I hadn't seen before - most impressively, a dimmer knob on the Euro-style windows that opacified them. I was less impressed by the cracked window. I wonder what did the damage.

I didn't find many killer deals at the show. I probably should have bought a bag of the "cash and carry" line from Barlow. I'm kind of kicking myself now for not doing so. I also bought the show special Spyderco knife - a killer discount if you're a knife person. I refrained from buying their Tusk sailor's knife, because if I accidentally donated it to the Chesapeake, I'd have a small heart attack. $170 is a bit much for a working knife on a boat, for me. Maybe one day when I have more disposable income - I can dream!

I ordered a few things online the next day when I got home. Bacon's was a good resource over the phone - their prices were cheaper on Harken hardware than anyone else I found. I also used $20 in West Marine certificates to round out some boat equipment.

The best deal at the show? $99 for another year of Boat US. It beat the $149 flyers I kept getting.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #139 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Maybe peak cat has been achieved. For all the hype about multis taking over the world, large multis are still pretty rare on the Chesapeake. Many of them I do see are cruisers passing through. Whether or not a multi is a good choice for sailing the Chesapeake is a debate I will leave to another thread, but what is hard to dispute is the lack of multi infrastructure on the Bay. Only a handful of marinas have cat-friendly travel lifts and at almost all marinas multis are relegated to T-head or side-tie water berthing. The lack of places to accommodate multis here would be a huge turnoff if I were otherwise interested in buying one.

And I imagine the situation is similar in LIS and New England, no?
That may be changing, as it seems Shipwright is being targeted as Herrington's Catamaran Marina. Since they bought it only a short time ago several large Cats have appeared and there are also more of them at Herrington North.

They will never be mainstream as most of us don't have the financial wherewithal to own one, but it seems an effort is being made to attract them as Shipwright is being overhauled.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #140 of 151 Old 10-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
As for mono vs multi... I didn't bother going on any cats, except Ooga Chacka (made by... a company I don't remember - maybe someone else could chime in?)
It was a Royal Cape Majestic 530, special flybridge model. The owner was an interesting dude; a delivery captain who is going to cruise with his 3 (or 4?) kids. I think the boat had 6 cabins...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in