83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 151 Old 08-23-2018
Administrator

Re: Annapolis Boat Show October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand View Post
Please read my last post carefully.
I said windows, not portlights or ports.
I did not say what years or models.
I read your post carefully, and that was why I made the comment, and asked the question that I did. Just to be clear, I was not trying to question your semantics or your veracity.

My question was solely aimed at a better understanding the specific issues the insurance companies were encountering. The increased use of large windows in the hulls of boats, by any other name, has been somewhat controversial on SailNet at times. While these large windows, both in hulls and on deck have been in use for a very long time. in those discussions there was little direct evidence pointing to one side of the debate or the other. If insurance companies are starting to encounter problems, it would be very helpful to understand what those problems actually are since that would clearly support the contention that large portlights (by which I meant fixed windows rather than operable windows) are bound to be problematic, or support the other view which contends that there are engineering standards for hull openings and with reasonable maintenance, there should not be safety issues.

Since you have apparently encountered a source of information that the rest of us hasn't, any additional information about the insurance issues with large windows would be helpful.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 151 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

I rented a boat figured why stay in a hotel when I can stay in the water in the Chesapeake Bay! Only like 4 miles from the show ,hopefully Uber does not cost and arm and leg during the show!
post #53 of 151 Old 08-23-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Very nice, @sailforlife - I hadn't thought of renting a boat. I'm guessing it's in a slip somewhere? I'd love to hear details, and see how you like the experience.
sailforlife likes this.

post #54 of 151 Old 08-23-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good luck getting an Uber with the Boat Show and a Navy Home game.
Reserve early
sailforlife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #55 of 151 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
Very nice, @sailforlife - I hadn't thought of renting a boat. I'm guessing it's in a slip somewhere? I'd love to hear details, and see how you like the experience.
Yea, so there is a lot of them available for rent, I rented mine trough airbnb. There are others available for rental from monohulls to cats.The are usually at a marina or sometimes you dinghy out to it. Prices vary a lot but you can still find some pretty affordable deals.

Best of luck!

post #56 of 151 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Good luck getting an Uber with the Boat Show and a Navy Home game.
Reserve early
I am only 4 miles out so, if I need to walk or bike ill do it. I also rented a car so I will have transportation but, I would prefer and uber so I don't have to deal with parking and the bus etc...

P.S. Will you be attending the show?

post #57 of 151 Old 08-24-2018
Daniel - Norsea 27

I think any purchases I may make for "boat show prices" will be online. Wife has a work trip to California so our daughter and I will be tagging along.
sailforlife likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #58 of 151 Old 08-24-2018

Quote:
Check out Sojourner offered through VRBO. Its a 38 ft trawler berthed at the Chesapeake Boat Club (410 280-8692) adjacent to J World in Eastport. My daughter and I stayed when we were in Annapolis for a regatta. It is expensive but within walking distance to Davis' Pub, the Maritime Museum, SSA etc.
Rezz and sailforlife like this.
post #59 of 151 Old 08-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
My wife and I will be there all weekend. We're staying within (long) walking distance.

My tips:

Look at the list of boats that are going to be there, and prioritize a couple of the big ones you're interested in. That way you won't be disappointed by missing it. Also, the crowds are lighter early in the day so you can get to what you want to see easier.

Start at the back and work your way back forward. I think it's less crowded that way.

Do the same with the vendor list if you're interested. If not - more boat time!

If you want a free drink, stop by the Hendrick's floating bar. They're always fun.

If you haven't had one before, a Painkiller at Pusser's is mandatory.

Don't fall in the water. I've seen it happen a couple times. And if you see it happen try not to laugh

Friday is less crowded than Saturday or Sunday.

~~~~~~~

I think that's about it off the top of my head. Some people may loosely plan a get-together in the forum somewhere - keep an eye out!
Thank you for the information! Started the PainKillers early with the wife! pictures attached!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0413.jpeg   IMG_0416.jpeg   IMG_0418.jpeg  
post #60 of 151 Old 08-24-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
I am only 4 miles out so, if I need to walk or bike ill do it. I also rented a car so I will have transportation but, I would prefer and uber so I don't have to deal with parking and the bus etc...

P.S. Will you be attending the show?

Yes...I have comp tickets to the first day, and I usually go the last day. We are leaving on a week cruise of the Chessie the day after the show, so we’ll probably anchor in Back Creek and dinghy over.
sailforlife likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in