SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/327588-2019-sailing-season-chesapeake.html)

oldlaxer1 04-03-2019 11:39 AM

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051593420)
Great seeing you Gary

That means the three older members...JeffH, you and I have been on the water already.
Where are the rest of you?

Recuperating from hip replacement surgery. I hope to be back sailing in 3 or 4 weeks. I'm going stir crazy right now!

chef2sail 04-03-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 (Post 2051593532)
Recuperating from hip replacement surgery. I hope to be back sailing in 3 or 4 weeks. I'm going stir crazy right now!

Get better soon. Speedy recovrry🤘😀😀🤘

4arch 04-05-2019 04:08 PM

Launched yesterday! Hoping to go out for the first short sail Sunday. I also just finished my re-stitch of the bimini. Now just need to clean it and apply 303. Dodger is still at the canvas shop having the eisenglass replaced with new Strataglass. That was beyond my competence or patience as a sewing amateur.

I was surprised by how many boats in winter storage at the yard don't seem to have had a single finger lifted in preparation to splash. I know March was chilly, but the past couple of weeks haven't been bad. Looks like people way in the back will be blocked in for at least a few more weeks.

TakeFive 04-05-2019 04:28 PM

This week I did bottom paint, disassembled/checked heat exchanger, painted and reinstalled refurbished prop, installed new anode on the strut, and a number of other things. I hope to splash April 14, but need to fly to Milwaukee this Sunday night, returning late Friday April 12. My motor test on the hard this weekend will be critical, as it will determine whether the boat can be ready when I get back. I'm hoping that I installed my new freshwater pump properly last winter. My motor did pass a static pressure test on the cooling system.

I'm also watching the weather forecast closely. A strong NW wind will prevent launching because it blows too much water out of the river.

chef2sail 04-05-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051594008)
This week I did bottom paint, disassembled/checked heat exchanger, painted and reinstalled refurbished prop, installed new anode on the strut, and a number of other things. I hope to splash April 14, but need to fly to Milwaukee this Sunday night, returning late Friday April 12. My motor test on the hard this weekend will be critical, as it will determine whether the boat can be ready when I get back. I'm hoping that I installed my new freshwater pump properly last winter. My motor did pass a static pressure test on the cooling system.

I'm also watching the weather forecast closely. A strong NW wind will prevent launching because it blows too much water out of the river.

Paint the prop?

chef2sail 04-05-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 2051594000)
Launched yesterday! Hoping to go out for the first short sail Sunday. I also just finished my re-stitch of the bimini. Now just need to clean it and apply 303. Dodger is still at the canvas shop having the eisenglass replaced with new Strataglass. That was beyond my competence or patience as a sewing amateur.

I was surprised by how many boats in winter storage at the yard don't seem to have had a single finger lifted in preparation to splash. I know March was chilly, but the past couple of weeks haven't been bad. Looks like people way in the back will be blocked in for at least a few more weeks.

Good to hear Bryan. Were headed out for the weekend. Not much wind forecast, but looks like good weather.

Last weekend the water was 48 degrees so dress the girls up...lol
Have fun.

TakeFive 04-05-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051594026)
Paint the prop?

Pettit Prop Coat. My prop guy does thousands of props and recommended it, so I decided to stick with it.

PalmettoSailor 04-05-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 2051594052)
Pettit Prop Coat. My prop guy does thousands of props and recommended it, so I decided to stick with it.

Yeah, I paint my prop every season with Rustoleum Cold Galvinizing Compound. Interwebz rumor says its the same as Petit Prop Coat.

It does a pretty good job of keeping the prop clean for a season.

chef2sail 04-05-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 2051594068)
Yeah, I paint my prop every season with Rustoleum Cold Galvinizing Compound. Interwebz rumor says its the same as Petit Prop Coat.

Ahh ok. I used to use the zinc stuff but went in a different direction when I was gifted 3 boxes of prop speed a couple years ago. Works on a different principle. Instead of killing stuff it is is slippery and slides off. Eco friendly too. I used to UU we the grey zinc stuff, but it still allowed growth or attachment of critters and growth. I always needed a diver mid sailing season when I used it.

I found it lasts more than one season, which is primo important to me because we stay in at least two years in a row. The zinc stuff rarely even lasted a year.

The prep work is imperative to follow to insure effectiveness. The drawback is the cost. The cheapest Ive seen it is $198 but you get two years so keep that in mind. The last two short hauls ive done I have seen ZERO growth after one year. It looked like it had just been applied.

TakeFive 04-05-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 2051594068)

I have used both (for different applications) and they are definitely not the same. (Why would they be? They are totally different companies, and formulated for different applications.)

Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing compound dries to a much softer, less durable film. You can easily scratch it off with your fingernail. I've never tried it on a prop (or any marine application), but I am surprised it does not quickly ablate off the blades. I suppose it's possible that this soft material ablates at just the right rate to last a season while it prevents hard growth, but that would be a remarkable coincidence given the extremely strong shear experienced by a prop blade.

Pettit Barnacle Barrier is a much harder, more durable paint. I can tell you from experience that it is almost impossible to remove once fully cured.

You know what they say: "If you read it on the Internet, it must be true....NOT!"

I suspect that there are people out there who see the same zinc level and assume it's the same stuff. There's a lot more to paint than just the amount of zinc. There are multiple resin chemistries, and use of fillers that give various mechanical properties which are critically important to the paint's durability over time. A healthy dose of skepticism is required of any claimed internet experts - including me!